Product Exports Went Backwards in Version 8.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Exports Went Backwards in Version 8.2

In versions 8.1 or below, we were able to select order download criteria and then download the csv file immediately. We download orders a few times an hour. We liked how that worked.

In version 8.2, it puts the export in a queue and you have to wait a few minutes for the export to be available for download. When we need to get orders processed and shipped, minutes are valuable and we hate having them wasted like they are now in Version 8.2.

I understand if you download huge files that it would be a good idea for a queue, but you should be able to at least toggle download immediately or wait for queue. Or have the system decide based on file size being generated whether it should be downloaded immediately or put in a queue.

I detest when new versions of 3dcart take us backwards.

Just so you are aware, you can enter your email and it will email immediately when its ready, but also if you click the view status page, it auto re-freshes for you, so no need to do anything.
    But yes, in the cases that you had a small export, it used to be immediate, and now it might take a minute or two, depending on when the task is scheduled, however, it'll make things a lot better when you have larger exports that used to take 10-15 minutes and would stop if you closed your browser.
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Yes, I am aware of the email option. Thanks.

I still stand by my suggestion to not force the download delay on everyone. It would be better to give us the option so we can pick what is best for our store and circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by kbscoatings View Post
        Yes, I am aware of the email option. Thanks.

I still stand by my suggestion to not force the download delay on everyone. It would be better to give us the option so we can pick what is best for our store and circumstances.
        I agree.

I like new versions when they make things easier, not more difficult. And in this case it adds one extra step in order to get our file.

but ok, I understand it is better for large downloads
        Last edited by nicolas_t; 09-19-2018, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nicolas_t View Post

I agree.

I like new versions when they make things easier, not more difficult. And in this case it is indeed a step backwards.
          Believe it or not, A LOT of people found it difficult that they had to wait for the import/export to process, without the ability to continue working....so why it might be a step backwards for you, it's a huge step forward for many others.
          Gonzalo Gil
          3dCart Support
          800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
            Believe it or not, A LOT of people found it difficult...
            oh, dealing with customers daily, I believe you. Some find it difficult to find their own email address.

Thanks for the clarification

Comment

Believe it or not, A LOT of people found it difficult that they had to wait for the import/export to process, without the ability to continue working....so why it might be a step backwards for you, it's a huge step forward for many others.
              I do believe you. But I wholeheartedly disagree that you have to harm some customers to help others. There is absolutely no reason you could not have thought this through better and came up with an improvement that helps all customers instead of helping some and hurting others.

Comment

I do believe you. But I wholeheartedly disagree that you have to harm some customers to help others. There is absolutely no reason you could not have thought this through better and came up with an improvement that helps all customers instead of helping some and hurting others.
                Yeah, it's tough to solve something, without making any changes , and, adding a checkbox, so that 10 out of 10,000 users can keep working the same way eventually gets to 100 checkboxes. This isn't the end of the feature, we can make it better, but it needs to run in its own process, instead of making you wait for it to run and block you from working on your store while its doing it's thing, so, any suggestions you have, perhaps on how you get notified, it's something we could consider.

Gonzalo Gil
                3dCart Support
                800-828-6650 x111

Comment

I would love the ability to schedule exports more than just once an hour. If you did that, this whole conversion for me would be moot.

Comment

I do not like this feature either. Normally it adds a couple extra minutes. Today it added an extra hour and I had to call customer service. Starting my day like this really is annoying to put it nicely.
                    Rod
                    www.Bead3.com

Comment

Step backward for us.

On a day-to-day basis, the extra steps and wait time are not a significant issue. The problem is when we are doing major product line adds or updates and do a lot of uploading/downloading as we work our way through getting the product details setup correctly.

Having to deal with these additional steps is going to make the process more clumsy and time-consuming to complete. Would be much better to have an option to go either way.

Comment

GonzaloGil ... In 8.2.9 the export file is there almost instantaneously which is much better for us.

Could you make it so that the /exp_imp.asp?section=orders screen go straight to the /export_import_status.asp screen? You could put the notify when done at the top of the /export_import_status.asp screen.

Doing this would eliminate that intermediary screen and save us a step.

Comment

GonzaloGil ... In 8.2.9 the export file is there almost instantaneously which is much better for us.

Could you make it so that the /exp_imp.asp?section=orders screen go straight to the /export_import_status.asp screen? You could put the notify when done at the top of the /export_import_status.asp screen.

Doing this would eliminate that intermediary screen and save us a step.
                          Yeah after this thread we went to work on finding a way to make the script run quicker :)

If we do that we need to figure out how to allow you to enter an email, as some exports do take a long time.We are working on improving this step now...
                          Gonzalo Gil
                          3dCart Support
                          800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Yeah after this thread we went to work on finding a way to make the script run quicker :)

If we do that we need to figure out how to allow you to enter an email, as some exports do take a long time.We are working on improving this step now...
                            Thank you. I appreciate you listening to our feedback and hopefully you can figure out how to eliminate that intermediate screen/step.

Again, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X