Announcement

Collapse

Posting Rules

Posting Rules
This forum was created to help 3dcart users share tips on getting the best out of the service, offer knowledge and experiences about e-commerce in general, and to promote a positive environment in which our merchants can request/dispense advice regarding best practices.

The forum was not created for 3dcart users to submit requests for customer support. Any support related thread will be removed and a support ticket will be placed on your behalf. If you have technical difficulties please visit http://support.3dcart.com.

The 3dcart forum is also not intended to be a medium in which to express dissatisfaction about 3dcart's service, policies or its management and staff. Threads of this nature will also be removed from the forum. If a support issue with your 3dcart store was not resolved in a satisfactory manner; or if you feel that a particular 3dcart offering/policy is not to your liking, please let us know by emailing [email protected] so we can address your concerns directly.

Again, our purpose is to cultivate a positive learning environment for our merchants rather than platform in which to express grievances.

Very Important Rules:
* Never give away your store administration login/password in this forum.

Should you need technical help, please let 3dcart staff help.
Also, please be aware that 3dcart staff will NEVER need to ask for your 3dcart related passwords.

General Rules:
* While debate and discussion are acceptable, we will never tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.
* Please refrain from posting meaningless threads, one word (or short) nonsensical posts, or similar postings.
* Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count is not allowed.
* Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the forum email and Private message system to spam other members.
* We also do not allow posts that are sexual in nature.
* Please wait at least 24 hours before bumping posts.
* Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.
* Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed.
* We reserve the right to remove offensive posts without notice.
* We also reserve the right to remove postings which are in violation of our specified posting rules
* Also, while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently, we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.
* You cannot post any affiliate or referral links, or post anything asking for a referral. Such posts will be subject to removal.
* You cannot post advertisements or notices for contests.
* We also reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules, as access to our support forums are a privilege and not a right. A banned customer is still entitled to support from the support system, but will not be able to participate in the forum.
See more
See less

Customer Using VPN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer Using VPN

I have seen an increase in our customers who are using VPNs. For some reason their transactions get declined on our website if using a VPN. Any ideas on how to get around this issue other than having them call the cc in?

Are you using any anti-fraud tools or services?
    Luxlife

Comment

Originally posted by Luxlife View Post
      Are you using any anti-fraud tools or services?
      Yes. We are using Fraudwatch as well as Authnet tools.

Comment

Fraudwatch takes in consideration the location of the shopper based on the ip address. A vpn will disguise the true location which, by itself and/or in consideration with other factors, may cause Fraudwatch to reject the order. You may want to use Amazon Pay as a backup by creating a special customer group and limiting its use that group. When you receive a rejected order (or any suspicious order), manually enroll them in the customer group and send them an email letting asking them to place a new order and use pay with Amazon. Amazon Pay does not have a monthly fee and they do not what the customer is buying. However, they guarantee the payment. The downside is Amazon charges the same high fee as PayPal, 2.9% or more. If the customer places additional orders, you may want to remove them from the group so that they use your regular credit card processor, assuming it cost less. If FraudWatch continues to block the customer, you can override and accept the orders because you have experience with them.

Unfortunately, 3dCart does not fully support Elavon. If they did, working through Costco, the credit card fees would be 1.99% and the chargeback protections, Verified by Visa and MasterCard SecureCode, which guarantee the payments for their cards, would be included, without additional cost. Another bonus, Amex credit card fees are only 1.99% on any transaction $3000 or less, the lowest fee we have seen in the USA.

This is a challenging problem because many people are mobile. We have had customers place orders outside their home countries, using or not using a vpn, with the delivery address in a third country.

Example. Customer from India placed an order, while in South Africa, for delivery to a USA address: Highly suspicious but order was valid.
        Luxlife

Comment

@Luxlife What Elavon product/feature specifically are you suggesting that isn't compatible? We do support Elavon through their gateway Converge.
          I doubt the 1.99% is for eCommerce transactions, that sounds like a rate that would be offered for Point of Sale, but, if you are able to get that rate for eCommerce, that's great.
          Shoot me an email/message if there is something preventing you from getting that rate that we can fix @ 3dcart with the integration we have
          ----------------------------
          Gonzalo Gil
          3dCart Support
          800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Thanks for the tips!

Comment

Turns out it was one of my Authnet fraud settings. The customer ipaddress was in Mexico. She claimed she was in AZ so it was probably just because their VPN ip was in Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
                @Luxlife What Elavon product/feature specifically are you suggesting that isn't compatible? We do support Elavon through their gateway Converge.
                I doubt the 1.99% is for eCommerce transactions, that sounds like a rate that would be offered for Point of Sale, but, if you are able to get that rate for eCommerce, that's great.
                Shoot me an email/message if there is something preventing you from getting that rate that we can fix @ 3dcart with the integration we have
                We get the 1.99% ecommerce rate with the 3dCart integration. Point-of-sale and mobile is even less, 1.22%. This is not the issue. We mentioned the rate as one of the advantages of using Costco/Elavon/Converge.
                https://www.costco.com/merchant-account.html

The issue is the fraud prevention.
                The 3dCart integration does not give us access to all of the fraud prevention tools included with Elavon's Converge gateway. These tools are available at no additional cost.
                The integration does not pass the ip address to Converge preventing the use of most of its built in fraud checks.
                The integration does not pass the information used for buyer authentication, Verified by Visa and MasterCard SecureCode.

For merchants who don't know, Verified by Visa and MasterCard SecureCode are fraud prevention services from Visa and MasterCard that guarantee transactions with their cards are not fraudulent when approved by these services -- You will not get a chargeback on the basis of a stolen credit card when these tools approve the transaction. Amex, Discover, and some other credit cards also offer similar services but not in the USA. These buyer authentication services are known as 3dSecure.

3dCart has an integration using Cardinal Commerce but has higher costs in two ways:
                There are fees from Cardinal Commerce on top of the merchant card processing fees.
                There are only a few card processors/gateways available through 3dCart and they charge high processing fees, usually 2.9%.

There are clear advantages for merchants: Costco offers low cost merchant processing. Converge offers some of the best fraud protection for Visa and MasterCard if 3dCart completes the integration. Nothing solves every fraud issue but this has obvious benefits.
                Luxlife

Comment

@Luxlife
                  Indeed the IP is not being passed, i already identified what needs to be done and its a pretty quick change, i should be able to get that resolved early next week, let me know if you want me to apply it to your store right away or want to wait until its generally available in about 2-3 weeks.

The 3dsecure/Securecode is a bit more complex as that requires a new integration, i'll have to check the details on that one to get a better timeline.

On the rate, i am curious, assuming you've had this for 1 month already, if you take your total sales for 1 month for all credit cards, ie. $10,000 and divide by all the costs you had from the processor. Is it $199 (1.99%)?

I presume not, since the .25 per transaction ads another 2.5% on $10.00 orders. Also does this include Amex and Discover, or just visa/mastercard?

Gonzalo Gil
                  3dCart Support
                  800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Luxlife Thanks so much for the info. I can't believe I didn't hear about this before. Definitely going to compare a few statements. That is a fantastic rate!

Comment

GonzaloGil
                      Please apply the ip changes ASAP.

The per transaction fee is $0.25 not 2.5%.

So, the rate is 1.99% +.25 for Visa, MasterCard, Discover, JCB, and Diners. The rate is 1.99% +.29 for AMEX for transactions $3000 or less. Any AMEX transaction above $3000 is 3.5%.

These rates apply to qualified, mid qualified, and rewards qualified transactions. Normally, the lowest rate only applies to qualified transactions. Non-qualified consumer card (Foreign card) transactions are 3.35% for all cards except for AMEX which is 3.5%. Non-qualified commercial card rates are 2.65% +.29. I mention this because the rates for non-qualified transactions tend to be substantially higher. Example: For transactions outside the USA, PayPal charges 4.4% + fixed fee based on the currency.

The point is that Costco members using Elavon/Converge save substantially. The Elavon billing statement detail shows we get these rates. This rate structure is the main reason we decided not to switch to a processor compatible with the Cardinal Commerce 3dSecure services.
                      Luxlife

Comment

Is there any update on this Luxlife GonzaloGil ? We're Costco business members and would be interested in taking advantage of this. Our charge backs for fraud have increased quite a bit and Visa/MC has no problem taking back their $$ even though they approved the sale in the first place. Would be great to have the types of protections mentioned by Luxlife.

Comment

@JustPoppin the change to pass the ip address was done some updates ago, so you should be good to go.
                          Gonzalo Gil
                          3dCart Support
                          800-828-6650 x111

Comment

GonzaloGil - do you know which version added that? Also, does it have the ability to pass it to Paypal pro (or whatever the newest is called) as well? Thanks

Comment

@lukiegames Every gateway is different, many already had it being passed through. I believe the change to Converge was done in 9.0.8
                              Gonzalo Gil
                              3dCart Support
                              800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Working...
                              X