Announcement

Collapse

Posting Rules

Posting Rules
This forum was created to help 3dcart users share tips on getting the best out of the service, offer knowledge and experiences about e-commerce in general, and to promote a positive environment in which our merchants can request/dispense advice regarding best practices.

The forum was not created for 3dcart users to submit requests for customer support. Any support related thread will be removed and a support ticket will be placed on your behalf. If you have technical difficulties please visit http://support.3dcart.com.

The 3dcart forum is also not intended to be a medium in which to express dissatisfaction about 3dcart's service, policies or its management and staff. Threads of this nature will also be removed from the forum. If a support issue with your 3dcart store was not resolved in a satisfactory manner; or if you feel that a particular 3dcart offering/policy is not to your liking, please let us know by emailing [email protected] so we can address your concerns directly.

Again, our purpose is to cultivate a positive learning environment for our merchants rather than platform in which to express grievances.

Very Important Rules:
* Never give away your store administration login/password in this forum.

Should you need technical help, please let 3dcart staff help.
Also, please be aware that 3dcart staff will NEVER need to ask for your 3dcart related passwords.

General Rules:
* While debate and discussion are acceptable, we will never tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts. Our decision is final in these matters.
* Please refrain from posting meaningless threads, one word (or short) nonsensical posts, or similar postings.
* Multiple or repeated posting in order to increase your post count is not allowed.
* Advertising, spamming and trolling is not allowed. This includes using the forum email and Private message system to spam other members.
* We also do not allow posts that are sexual in nature.
* Please wait at least 24 hours before bumping posts.
* Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.
* Each member is allowed one login account. Registering with multiple accounts is not allowed.
* We reserve the right to remove offensive posts without notice.
* We also reserve the right to remove postings which are in violation of our specified posting rules
* Also, while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently, we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.
* You cannot post any affiliate or referral links, or post anything asking for a referral. Such posts will be subject to removal.
* You cannot post advertisements or notices for contests.
* We also reserve the right to ban anyone who willfully violates the forum rules, as access to our support forums are a privilege and not a right. A banned customer is still entitled to support from the support system, but will not be able to participate in the forum.
See more
See less

How to put item on sale that uses Product Options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to put item on sale that uses Product Options?

Curious what everyone is doing to put an item on sale that uses PRODUCT OPTIONS. Example, I have a product that is available in quart, gallon, and drum sizes. I know I can create 3 different skus but that's time consuming, not user or google friendly.

I know I can set a base price, put it on sale, and then have the product options adjust to get to the final total. And we have tested this work around but the results are horrible.. high bounce rate, no conversions.

I know this is on the product wish list (think its #2 from the top) so hoping 3dcart is working on it. But for the time being, does anyone know of a user friendly workaround ?

no response to this at all? crickets chirping...

Comment

I think you answered your own question, there is no ON SALE checkbox for options, so, right now the only workaround would be to create a product for the size that's on sale, and put it on sale.
      The other thing you could do if its just 1 of the sizes on sale is to have that pre-selected, so, when the customer lands on the page, they will be looking at the lowest price, so that should help with bounces if the issue is that they are seeing a larger than expected price.
      ----------------------------
      Gonzalo Gil
      3dCart Support
      800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Sad to hear this as it presents a mess to the end user, is not Google friendly at all. A simple workaround would be able to show an ON SALE graphic for the item but your design team wants a hefty minimum for something that should take minutes to complete.

Comment

It's actually a better practice for SEO, Google Shopping and UX to have them listed as separate items even though it is a bit more work. Just group them on each page using related products.

Comment

We have over 250 items that ship in 3 different quantities.. that's weeks of work that would require acquiring a temp worker and a few bottles of tylenol. it would make the category practically unbrowsable and look very messy. Any Home Depot or Lowes site doesn't do it that way. Certainly Amazon does not do it that way when you go to buy a pair or jeans.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
              We have over 250 items that ship in 3 different quantities.. that's weeks of work that would require acquiring a temp worker and a few bottles of tylenol. it would make the category practically unbrowsable and look very messy. Any Home Depot or Lowes site doesn't do it that way. Certainly Amazon does not do it that way when you go to buy a pair or jeans.
              A pair of jeans is certainly better with just using advanced options for the sizes and colors. I thought you were talking about unique products that were priced differently. I would just use the options with values. I guess it's hard to talk about these things without seeing each others product listings. Sorry. Post an example of what you are trying to do.

Comment

ISGMe, thanks for your reply. See
                https://www.american-niagara.com/QCM_c_162.html

Currently updating the prices via excel (export/import) is impossible because the name of the item (or the sku) is NOT in the product options file. There is only a catalog ID. So I know a solution is possible via excel but I have not yet found an excel ninja that can do the work for the budget we have. So anytime I get price changes from my manager (because we live in a highly competitive online world), it takes days to update just this section via the admin. And that's on good days when there is no latency on either end.

I realize I can place each ink qty in a unique sku but then the customer is going to be presented with a mess which will increase the bounce rate as we have tested it. Our competitors who are on other e-commerce platforms can and do change prices daily. We need the same ability.

To make matters worse, the fact that you can't put any item with advanced product options on sale is also a huge problem that should have been resolved by 3dcart years ago. There are messy workarounds such as a base price but then the customer has to do math and when they realize our website is complicated they go elsewhere. So what you see in the link above is the best for sales conversions but a nightmare for price changes/sales.
                Last edited by [email protected]; 11-01-2019, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Actually, Amazon's search seems to show single items which then link to the product with all the options. I was just buying some pants there the other day and noticed this. :)

Anyway, we sell items with a lot of options and we have found much better success by splitting them into separate listings as much as possible. It seems that customers are less and less willing to actually read descriptions nor even scroll down and see a list of options and prefer to click on the red one and buy that with minimal clicks.

DaveW

Comment

Respectfully, yer telling me Home Depot and Lowe’s got this wrong and your advise is to create a unique sku for each option which we already know produces high bounce rates?

I don’t think so...

https://www.ecospaints.net/Semi-Glos...%7C%20%2424.95

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Valspar-Pro...-fl-oz/4780007

Comment

Respectfully, yer telling me Home Depot and Lowe’s got this wrong and your advise is to create a unique sku for each option which we already know produces high bounce rates?

I don’t think so...

https://www.ecospaints.net/Semi-Glos...%7C%20%2424.95

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Valspar-Pro...-fl-oz/4780007
                      Was just relaying our experience on our particular products. We also found that splitting the listings on commodity products helps with shopping/comparison engines. That doesn't make either of us wrong.

DaveW

Comment

According to 3dcart support, the SKU was recently added to the product options file in column B - without any fanfare or notice to customers. So now there IS a workaround.. change your SKUs to reference the first few letters of the manufacturer. I'm also told you can delete the rows in excel that aren't related to the SKUs you want to price change without breaking the cart (choose the import updated records option only at import). So now there is a viable workaround but I have not tested it yet. In progress of changing the SKUs I need price changes on most urgently first.

Comment

Working...
                        X