Lots of spam lately!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of spam lately!

Has anyone else had their domain name email account inundated with spam lately? For such a long time I was not getting any at all, now all of a sudden all 3 of my domain name accounts are being slammed! Getting probably 50 a day--began last Monday!

I've definitely noticed a big increase in spam over the past week or two on both domains. We're getting at least a dozen on one account every day with crazy subject lines. On the other we received about 50 bogus product reviews this morning that were obviously automated. That was a first.

So frustrating!

Comment

We also get the bogus reviews. We actually had to remove our "Contact us" page with the submission form because it was spammed so much--had to just list our contact information instead. :(

Comment

I had 52 bogus reviews this morning, but they were actually done by ScanAlert.

Comment

We have also received more spam.

Normally, the Smartermail email system diverts all spam. The filters have been fantastic. Perhaps they changed some the settings at the server level. Perhaps this relates to the email server problems.
          Luxlife

Comment

We've been getting a lot too. That's inbound.

Unfortunately, anything that comes from our 3dcart mail server appears to be not getting to our customers. We've had constant complaints about not giving confirmations, not answering questions, etc. 3Dcart is adamant that nothing can be done- so are we to just not communicate with our customers?

We moved to the drastic step of using another in-house server with our 3Dcart domain email as a mask on top of that address. Don't know what else to do. :mad:

Comment

You know, we too have had customers claiming that they have not been getting our emails--just thought they were being filtered out as spam, but if others are having this issue then that may not be the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Rungreen View Post
                We've been getting a lot too. That's inbound.

Unfortunately, anything that comes from our 3dcart mail server appears to be not getting to our customers. We've had constant complaints about not giving confirmations, not answering questions, etc. 3Dcart is adamant that nothing can be done- so are we to just not communicate with our customers? :mad:

Rungreen - I had the same response from 3DCart for mail not getting to my customers also. They refuse to even consider that they can do anything to help. I've never worked with a company before that won't help when emails get blocked or delayed. The receiving server company will ONLY work with the email administrator (3DCart) - not with the inidvidual (me) 3DCart says I have to take care of it as it's my DOMAIN that is causing the problems. No one will work with me and as a result some of my customers don't get any of my emails, either automated or directly from me.

I LOVE 3DCart except for this issue. Since I can't communicate with my customers I'm at a loss as to what to do - if you make any headway please let me know. I just don't understand how they can say this isn't something they can help with. In fact they are the ONLY ones who can help.

My previous provider would contact the email server in question and let them know that my email was not a problem (no spam etc). It sometimes took a few days, and they had to make the effort - but I ALWAYS got things going again.

In a time when people can use your email to send SPAM and when it's easy to get 'blacklisted' - even if you don't send SPAM yourself- then you really need someone on your side who can keep your business up and going. I would LOVE suggestions on this. I can't get through to anyone with a rr.com or comcast.net email address and it's driving me crazy.

Other than this issue 3DCart support has been fabulous - but I'm really at my wits end with their lack of concern on this issue.
                C Ekman
                Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
                http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

rrw - PLEASE open a ticket on this - if enough people report the problem maybe 3DCart will help us out.
                  C Ekman

Comment

We have outbound email problems too.

We too are having issues with outbound email. We just learned that a recipient has not received email. We tested this by sending to an another email address on a different system. The message has not been received.

We confirmed this by sending test emails with Outlook.

We submitted a ticket today.
                    Luxlife

Comment

Thanks Luxlife - please keep us posted as to what you hear from 3DCart. I hope they can help!
                      C Ekman

Comment

Many ISPs are blocking what is called "Port 25" which is the port used to send e-mail. They are doing this to cut down on the amount of spam that is sent from their networks.

All e-mail sent via the Internet is routed through the port 25, the channel used for communication between an e-mail client and an e-mail server. Even though port 25 blocking has become an industry standard, however, the filter can create problems for e-mail servers and block legitimate e-mail as well as spam.

Port 25 blocking allows ISPs to block spam sent out through their networks, but it tends to punish the innocent that have a need to send through e-mail servers other than those belonging to their ISP. The ISPs that block port 25 require their SMTP server to be used instead of the remote SMTP server or a SMTP server running on your computer.

All e-mail sent via the Internet is routed through port 25. When an e-mail server that runs on your computer delivers messages, it always uses port 25 to transmit data to remote e-mail servers. Therefore, if your ISP is blocking the port, your messages will not get through.

We understand that email is vital to an online business, and we take steps to troubleshoot every issue our customers may have. A few troubleshooting steps you can take are:

If you are using Windows XP, do the following:
                        Go to Start
                        Go to RUN
                        Type in CMD, hit enter

Now you are looking at a command window, type in the following:

telnet mail.yourdomain.com 25 (replace yourdomain with your domain and hit enter)
                        If you are NOT being blocked, you should see the following:
                        220 mail.informart2000.com

If you are seeing no response, or nothing at all, then you are being blocked.

If you are being blocked, how do you fix it? Well, you would need to use the outgoing mail server of your ISP's.

You may be concerned that your customers may think you are nor professional by using a generic ISP's outgoing mail server. Unless someone looks in your headers, they don't know what mail server its coming through, and its pretty much transparent as to what outgoing mail server you use. Also, ask yourself this. When was the last time you looked at an email you received from someone, and cared what outgoing mail server they used?

If you are not being blocked, but still having trouble sending mail, you can still change it to your ISP's outgoing mail server and see if that alleviates your problem. If that does not work, we would suggest first calling them to find out which outgoing mail server you should be using, and then, either calling us or opening a support ticket.

It would be helpful if you provide to us the following:

Your ISP
                        Which outgoing mail server you are using in your settings

We can't stress this part strongly enough: If in doubt, please open a ticket or give us a call.

We are here to help you, and will do everything we can to assist in troubleshooting this and coming up with a solution.

-Robb
                        3dCart Support Team

Comment

Originally posted by cekman View Post
                          Rungreen - I had the same response from 3DCart for mail not getting to my customers also. They refuse to even consider that they can do anything to help. I've never worked with a company before that won't help when emails get blocked or delayed. The receiving server company will ONLY work with the email administrator (3DCart) - not with the inidvidual (me) 3DCart says I have to take care of it as it's my DOMAIN that is causing the problems. No one will work with me and as a result some of my customers don't get any of my emails, either automated or directly from me.
                          Cekman,

I believe we assisted and addressed this problem. We are more than willing to assist you in any way that we can.

Please give me a call at 1-800-828-6650 x118 and I will see if there is anything else I can do to help you.

-Robb
                          3dCart Support
                          Last edited by 3dCartRobb; 07-31-2008, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks Kildare for the detailed message.

Couple of questions?

1.) What if only some emails are not getting to their destination. Does this Port 25 info still apply? For example - my emails only are affected to customers with a comcast.net address or any address with rr.com (road runner?)

2.) If I'm understanding you correctly this would indicate our internet service provider is preventing our email from being delivered correct? But how would that affect the automatic emails that are being delivered from our cart - for example the NEW ORDER or CUSTOMER REGISTRATION emails that we don't initiate ourselves? Since we don't send them - how could our ISP 'block' those?

I will gladly do all I can on my end - just trying to understand.

Also - I have Vista - do your steps still apply?

Thank you so much for your detailed response
                            C Ekman

Comment

Robb - Thank you for your reply. No - nothing was done by 3DCart - other than to say it was a domain issue on my end. Things got a little hairy and I don't want to have a poor relationship with 3DCart. I actually feared I may be 'sanctioned' so I just dropped the issue.

I think 3DCart support is superb except for this one issue. I have to leave for an appointment today and will call tomorrow to the number you provided. No one offered previously to talk to me that I can rememer and I would gladly go over this issue with someone from support - I appreciate the offer.

Also - Please don't close/lock this thread - I think the topic is being handled in a very NICE and professional way. Business owners are trying to help each other with this very important issue of contacting their customers.

Thank you again for your response.
                              C Ekman

Comment

Working...
                              X