Trial cart--Category Import/Export

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial cart--Category Import/Export

I'm playing with the new version of 3d cart, and I love the idea of being able to control our categories via import/export. However, I can't get it to work properly and don't know what I'm doing wrong.

After entering a category, it's sub-category, and several sub's to that one as a trial, I exported them to a spreadsheet to see how it worked. I can see that the sub's all have a primary category listed as the parent--simple enough. However, when I try to add additional sub's in the spreadsheet, list the appropriate primary as the "parent" and import them, it creates new primaries out of all the subs! I don't know what I need to do to the spreadsheet to make them go to the appropriate place. I can't seem to find any documentation on this--if I've missed it I would greatly appreciate someone pointing me to it.

Maybe this is the answer:

category_main
    TRUE
    TRUE
    TRUE
    TRUE
    TRUE
    FALSE
    FALSE

above is column D, you have to make sure that all sub categories are "FALSE" column D.
    Steve

Comment

Nope, I tried that and it still put the new category at the top of the list on the primary categories instead of making it a sub category of the one indicated.

I just bit the bullet and entered half of them manually--only took about an hour. LOVE LOVE LOVE being able to edit all of them on the spreadsheet--that will save me hours of work!!! :)

Comment

I may not completely understand your problem - but did you happen to do a copy and paste from any category fields in the admin panel?

The reason I ask is because in the past (on the older version) whenever I would cut and paste a category field into my spreadsheet and then do an import - the categories or subcategories would end up being duplicated. So now I just type the new category or subcategory name into the spreadsheet.

Hope that makes sense. :)

Comment

No, what I did was export the few categories that I had, then added new ones to be sub-categories of them--left off the category ID since I wanted these to be added, made sure column D was FALSE (tried it as TRUE also). All of the new subcategories became new primary categories. Guess there is no way to add them like that--I just went back and added them one at a time from the admin site.

After I added them, then exported, I was able to configure them on the spreadsheet in bulk, then uploaded and they worked great. Saved me lots of time! :)

Comment

Working...
          X