Linking question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linking question

Every week I receive a significant number of requests for linking to other web sites. Some are relevant, others aren't. What bothers me is that the language of each email is almost identical, and I'm wondering if there is something that I need to be aware of (ie: security issues, spamming, etc) from some of them. I certainly don't want to put a link on my site that will make me, or anyone who clicks on it, vulnerable. Anyone heard of any scammers using this tactic?

Is it possible you got on a link exchange list somewhere - where people see your site as wanting to exchange links?

Have you visited any of the sites to see if they look legit?

Always hard to tell.
    C Ekman
    Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
    http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

I too receive a significant number of link requests. Like Cekman suggested - I typically visit the website, look at their links pages (along with the source code to see if they are legitimate links), and then determine whether the website would be relevant to my site and one that I would feel comfortable recommending.

I hate to seem so picky as if a link on our site is something special - it's not - but I have become more selective because I would hate to add a link to our site that would get us downgraded or penalized in the search engines. However, I also know that we need more links to improve our search engine rankings.

So, it's something I need to work on. But unfortunately, managing links is one of those things that tend to fall on the bottom of a very long to-do list that seems to always be on my desk... as I'm sure many business owners can relate to.

Comment

I've been slacking too in the links department, just because all of the requests seem to be worded the same, and usually are very irrelevant. I too am very picky as to who I will link with--isn't it silly that we have to play that game for rankings? Seems the more links, regardless of the quality, the better. :(

Thanks for your responses--I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some known scam going on that I wasn't aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by ScribeTime View Post
          So, it's something I need to work on. But unfortunately, managing links is one of those things that tend to fall on the bottom of a very long to-do list that seems to always be on my desk... as I'm sure many business owners can relate to.
          Boy, am I with you there! I feel like no matter what I do, I am always behind. Would love to hire staff to aleviate some of my load, but my business just isn't there financially yet.

Comment

Dancingdaisy - I'll work on your links if you come and file 500 cross stitch books for me! I really hate filing. so I end up with a few hundred books in piles, then when someone buys a book that's not filed I go through stacks until I find the right one.

Obviously it takes less time to file and then fill the order more quickly - but it's one of those jobs I just hate - kind of like buying groceries.

On the serious side - this craft SEO company I've signed up is submitting me for hundreds of links. That is supposed to start this week and they are all supposed to be relevant craft sites. If they follow through and it works - it will be SO worth the $99.
            C Ekman
            Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
            http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

Working...
            X