Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipment options by Product

Really need this feature.
    Some items we stock in our own warehouse and can ship expedited.
    Any way to offer the faster shipping options only by certain products, or, perhaps by "distrubtor"?
    In other words, products that we are setup as a dropship dealer, we obviously can't utilize next day if they don't offer it or the order comes in too late in the day.

I would love a feature like this as well. I have run into an exact issue like you mentioned. In fact we recently disabled overnight shipping for that reason.

Comment

We represent several major manufacturers and are an authorized dealer or reseller of those products. We also stock our own products and also purchase wholesale and distribute at retail several products as well. So, we have some products "in-stock" ready to ship. other orders are forwarded to the manufacturer, and, while they often ship same day or next day, this stock status is not guaranteed, so, with our past luck, someone wanting overnight shipment, the manufacturer may not have in stock! So, while our own particular "inventory" is real-time, the inventory of our manufacturer's warehouses may not be. We have our own location setup as a "distributor" in the settings.
      Being able to offer shipping methods based on the particular product, or, at least, by distributor, would increase our conversion greatly! :D
      Ideas anyone? :confused:

Comment

We had custom programming done that created a title, "When will it ship?". Our "in stock" or "out of stock" message can then be created, depending on the quantity in stock. For some products, it only takes 5 days to ship something that is out of stock, but for others it may take 2-6 weeks--either way, for each specific product the customer can see right away how long they will need to wait. We deal with brides, and timing is very important (EVERYTHING is very important to a bride :) ), so 3d came up with that solution for us and it has worked great.

I thought I had read where that feature was going to be included on the new version? We won't be migrated for a few months due to the server that we are on, so I don't know if that is true or not.

Comment

Originally posted by rrw View Post
          We had custom programming done that created a title, "When will it ship?". Our "in stock" or "out of stock" message can then be created, depending on the quantity in stock. For some products, it only takes 5 days to ship something that is out of stock, but for others it may take 2-6 weeks--either way, for each specific product the customer can see right away how long they will need to wait. We deal with brides, and timing is very important (EVERYTHING is very important to a bride :) ), so 3d came up with that solution for us and it has worked great.

I thought I had read where that feature was going to be included on the new version? We won't be migrated for a few months due to the server that we are on, so I don't know if that is true or not.
          RRW - would you be interested in sharing your url. I would like to see your customization of this feature, if you don't mind. I want to add something like this to my site.

Comment

I do the same thing...

I have my cart set up the same way because I was running in to the same issues. Some of my items ship from inhouse and right away and some are dropshipped from my suppliers. In house items ship 1-2 business days, drop-ship items ship various time frames, depending on supplier. I want every customer to know how long their order will take to ship when they are placing their order.

All I did was set up my general store settings to do start. Under inventory settings check 'enable inventory control' and choose 'allow back order'. Then I set up the wording for the 'In Stock' to say... ships 1-2 days in the area where you can change your store language. Then within each product, I set the inventory to however many I have in stock and set up the inventory control dropdown to 'backorders'. Then set the text in back orders to whatever I want (ships 7-10 business days, or whatever the supplier ships at).

Doing this enables me to offer customers a short ship time if the item is instock and a real estimate on how long it will take if it comes directly from the supplier.

One issue I run in to is w/ shipping costs per drop-shipper. Some of my suppliers charge a one time per order drop-ship fee and there doesn't seem to be any way for me to include that fee only once per order by supplier (I can only add it per item and then it jacks the price of the item/shipping up way too much). It's been on my wish list w/ 3dcart for years. Anyone run in to this issue and found a solution? A work around maybe?

Comment

My link if anyone wants to see how mine works...

www.doggie-diva.com (I don't have every category filled w/ products so go under dog personality tank tops, that category is full of items.

Comment

we have wanted to figure this out for years, too, as you can see from the thread start date. Turns out, there's just too many variables to accomplish seperate surcharges, shipping methods, drop ship fee, etc with several vendors. We tried building the $4 "per order" surcharge into the shippping and got complaints right away. :( We have many vendors and often orders constitute products from more than one vendor, as well.
                We couldn't find a solution, so, we just ended up adding to the product price. Compound the problem, is our vendors also utilize different shipping carriers (fed ex ups etc), so, we just had to build everything into the cost.
                If customers purchase more than one item, things work out. It's when they purchase a single item where the charges are most significant. What's worse, if customers purchase ONE item from EACH vendor! :eek:
                We had a "tip" section in the past that said, basically, try to purchase products from a single manufacturer to have the least expensive shipping charges...
                Last edited by Mark; 08-14-2010, 07:51 AM.

Comment

I guess I can do that but then...

I have thought about doing that and do add it into the price somewhat but it's a hefty fee sometimes (like $6 for a $20 dog tank top), which makes me then uncompetitive w/ all my competitors.

Comment

Working...
                  X