Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help!

Hello everyone,

I have been using PayPal Pro and have decided I am going to change merchant accounts and gateway (paypal serves as both if you are not familiar with it). I am doing this because it appears that I have lost a high percentage of sales due to PayPal's fraud prevention rules being too strict. My problem is, I am spoiled with PayPal because it works as a gateway and merchant account, and everything is done instantly. I need some guidance about:

1) Exactly how gateways and merchant accounts work when they are separate. From what I can tell, the gateway is basically the link between my site and the merchant account. I have been reading up on it and most seem to use a batch upload, which I assume means that the card is authorized and funds held at checkout, but not charged until I upload the batch? This seems like more work for me, which is not a problem, I just want to know what I am getting into. I have been looking at Authorize.net b/c that seems to be the web standard, is this a good choice?

2) I have realized that I will need to be very careful because the gateway and merchant account will be collecting fees, rather than just one, which is what PayPal does now. What are common rates for these services? I have been looking at emerchantsgroup as well as bankcard services that 3dcart recomments, but it has a 2 or 3 year contract, which I don't care for.

3) With PayPal, every transaction costs a flat fee + percentage, regardless of type credit card or other payment option. It does not appear to be that way with other mechant accounts. For those of you using something other than PayPal, does this cause confusion with paperwork or getting "surprises" at the end of the month when you get your statement and realize 3% of many purchases where taken instead of 2%?

4) Which, if any, of these services work for echecks. I have not had any requests for echecks and it may not be worth the hassle, but it is something to consider when choosing a service.

5) Finally, I would like to continue to use PayPal for PayPal payments only (Website Payments Standard). How is this going to work with a separate gateway and merchant account?

Sorry for the long post, I just need a little info to get me started. I will appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!
    www.totaloutdoorsman.com - Your Total Choice for the Outdoors

If I am not mistaken there is a feature in your Profile Tab within PayPal that you can choose what security features you want enabled etc. You can go fairly low with standards or high. There is also a section in the admin of 3dCart that lets you set a few features as well if I am not mistaken. I would test these out first for a bit before leaving PayPal. There prices are just too good. On top of that, their customer service has gotten a lot betetr ove the last year or so due to so many complaints. Give em a call on the issue as well. Maybe they have an idea.

Comment

Working...
    X