PayPal Pro Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PayPal Pro Questions

We currently use a "standard" card processor and Authorize.net for our card processing. We also accept PayPal using the standard interface (e.g. they can pay this way if they have a PP account)

I am considering changing to PayPal Pro (or is this Payflow??, I want the one that acts just like a regular card processor) but have several questions.

1) Are there any issues with the integration in 3d? (Any SE users with opinions on that integration?)

2) Can the user pay with the PP Pro without logging into thier PP account even if the card they are using is tied to a PP account?

3) Are deposits from the PP Pro put into your bank account automatically or are they put into your PP business account to be transferred/used like any other PP balance.

Thanks in advance,

DaveW

1. I have had two big issues but one was fixed with template updates from 3dcart so it should no longer be a issue.

The second one is that PayPal requires the CVV number. By default 3dcart does not require the number (and has no on/off option to require it) so if the customer leaves the CVV number blank and submits the order the customer will get a generic error stating the card could not be processed.

In order to fix this you will need to add code to check the CVV number and pop up a error message if it is blank. I don't have the code handy right now but if you need you can message me through the forum and I will get it to you.

2. I am pretty sure the answer is yes but i have never tried using my PayPal card so I don't know for sure.

3. Deposits are treated like any other PayPal transaction and go to your PayPal balance so you have to transfer the money out like any other PayPal payments.
    Nathan
    www.YourCableStore.com

Comment

Excellent, thanks.

Expanding on question #2. I have tried to pay a vendor who uses PayPal for thier credit cards before with my business credit card(s). My cards are also tied to my business PP account as backup funding. The vendor cannot run my card as the system keeps saying the card number is in use or something like that. Basically forcing me to login to my PayPal business account and pay that way.

I obviously don't want to happen to my customers, but I am also pretty sure that every time this has happened to me, the vendor had just a basic PP account, not full blown Pro.

Thanks,

DaveW

Comment

We also use pro on both our sites and quite satisfied. our 3D is only six months old so maybe set up was changed by then.

1)It was very easy
        2)as far as I know they can use a PP attached CC without drawing PP funds.
        3)We have a cash back debit card with our PP account. The funds are immediately available. PP is our business bank we never transfer funds.

We also do all of our shipping through there.

Comment

Originally posted by mondo View Post
          3)We have a cash back debit card with our PP account. The funds are immediately available. PP is our business bank we never transfer funds.
          This is why I am looking in this direction. It is harder and harder to keep business credit cards open and I certainly don't like paying interest, yet almost all of our vendors require payment by CC. We have been using the business debit card for a lot of transactions, but that has its own risks.

I use the PP Debit Card for everything we can currently, getting the funds from people who pay with traditional PP. Even with that, we are earning $75-100 month cash back, so I was thinking that running all of our cards through that would offset the slightly higher fees.

Thanks for the info,

DaveW

Comment

Between it being our actual bank, Almost 1/2 of our transaction % is refunded as cash back plus shipping service I consider it a bargain.

BTY: since you use the debit card as 'credit' what's the extra risk.
            Last edited by mondo; 05-18-2010, 08:58 AM.

Comment

BTY: since you use the debit card as 'credit' what's the extra risk.
              No risk regarding the use of the card itself, just the attending issues with so many transactions and keeping track of cash flow and when the money from our current merchant account is actually getting deposited, which can be an issue when we sell something expensive that gets drop shipped. Access to the funds immediately would be huge.

Thanks,

DaveW

Comment

Personally, I'd be a little cautious about having PayPal do all the credit card processing on our website.

I've heard a few horror stories about PayPal locking up funds etc.

I believe in making it as easy as possible for the customer to pay online. We use Authorize.net as our main cc processor, with the option of also selecting either Google Checkout or PayPal.
                Last edited by lml; 05-18-2010, 11:49 PM.

Comment

I would also caution against letting all your money sit in a PayPal account. What would you do if PayPal froze your account? Could you survive? (I can but that is because I do not keep all my money in PayPal)

I know it is a extreme case but you should check out http://www.whiteelephantmedia.com/ one of the largest media sellers on eBay had their business destroyed when PayPal required large reserve amounts.
                  Nathan
                  www.YourCableStore.com

Comment

Yes, it would be foolish to keep all our funds there. If it get's to high we withdraw cash. It's not a savings account. It's checking, between cost of bus, food, gas, bills, cash etc. we probably maintain about the same percentage of funds as transferring processor has of your money(4-5 days). If they did freeze the account we would only be out of business until we got another processor.

I'm not defending PP but I've heard the same things happening with other processors withholding funds. Our cash is available immediately and theoretically I can clean ours out daily.

Comment

LML,

If I am understanding correctly, PP Pro would replace the Authorize.net portion of your payment triangle (which is the same as ours currently) and we would still accept regular PP and Google.

Others,

Thanks for the insight. I am not particularly more worried about PP holding funds compared to any other processor. Every processor has horror stories.

PP Pro does not do card present, so we would keep our retail account, which would also split our risk.

If we go this way, we would not keep a lot of money in the PP account either. The plan would be to transfer a lot of the CC spending we are doing now to the PP debit card which would take a lot of the money, and we would still need to transfer cash to pay bills with checks from our regular account.

The immediate availability of funds and the 1% cash back on the debit card are pretty big reasons why we are considering this. Like I said before, we spend every penny that comes in now via PP with the debit card on business transactions and easily earn $100 month cash back. Ratcheting that up would easily offset the slightly increased PP processing fees.

Thanks again!

DaveW

Comment

Pro would replace your present processor on the site. your checkout would look and work the same except you would also see PP express (Required) in your checkout (which some don't like).
                        It's required on the cart page for PP users to have rapid check out and bypass having to fill out info on you site.
                        It's not required but by default here it's also on the final payment page and we've left it.
                        On our other site we have it on the cart as required and don't offer regular PP on the billing page. Just express again instead as one of the payment options

If you want to see it on 3d Stitchers Stuff
                        Last edited by mondo; 05-19-2010, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Pro would replace your present processor on the site. your checkout would look and work the same except you would also see PP express (Required) in your checkout (which some don't like).
                          It's required on the cart page for PP users to have rapid check out and bypass having to fill out info on you site.
                          It's not required but by default here it's also on the final payment page and we've left it.
                          On our other site we have it on the cart as required and don't offer regular PP on the billing page. Just express again instead as one of the payment options

If you want to see it on 3d Stitchers Stuff
                          **update** I just rechecked my guide and apparently express is also required on the checkout page as a payment option

Comment

**update** I just rechecked my guide and apparently express is also required on the checkout page as a payment option
                            That is really not a problem for us, we have that now with both PP and Google.

Thanks,

DaveW

Comment

Just a note. Using your Paypal account for your bank/checking is dangerous. We had someone break into our account and through Paypal steal $1000 from our bank account. They made a payment to themselves and used our bank account for the funds.

If you have your Paypal account as your bank/checking account you can loose all your money this way if someone breaks into it. It took Paypal about 3 weeks to return our money. Can you make it for that long if someone steals all you have in your Paypal account?

Our bank helped us setup a system with Paypal where we have an operating account with the bank where we keep 99% of our money. We then have another account that is tied to our Paypal account. This account only has about $200 in it normally and if we need to purchase something we transfer funds online which is instant.

We will never keep much money in Paypal or our bank account tied to Paypal.

Hope this is useful to others.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X