Authorize.net + AVS = International cusomters = giant pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authorize.net + AVS = International cusomters = giant pain

We use authorize.net and First Data. Works great most of the time. We also use their AVS system for fraud protection. After working with authorize.net tech support, we have it set up to not decline a customer that uses a credit card from an international bank. Except it doesn't work. It still declines a card from a bank that doesn't support the AVS system. Of course, we could just turn off the system, but then our rates would go up and we'd have a higher risk of fraud. Very frustrating that our international customers can't use our site without intervention by sales staff. Any other places have this same problem?

We too have been experiencing declines and almost all of them say AVS mismatch or something like that. Not sure what to do about this but thought i would chime in and say we too are having issues with international orders.

Comment

Hi all! You may already know this, but here's how we handle in our offices: If they are actual declines from issuing banks, there's not much you can do. The cardholder may be able to intervene at their bank, but that bank probably won't talk to a merchant to resolve. (It goes without saying that international orders require extra attention for merchant protection from loosing chargebacks. That's not to say 100% of them should require manual review, though many merchants find that they prefer manual review of all international orders.)

With most gateways, you can tell whether any action you do will help by determining if an authorization code was issued. If you got an auth code, but the transaction won't go through, your merchant services provider should be able to give you more information as to where the hang up is.

If, on the other hand, no authorization code was issued by the card holder's bank, then it's probable that the decline came directly from that bank. Our gateway makes it easy by distinguishing between errors and declines, but you may have to do more digging if yours does not.

http://3dcartmerchant.com/
      Last edited by Julie; 05-10-2011, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by timgdixon View Post
        We too have been experiencing declines and almost all of them say AVS mismatch or something like that. Not sure what to do about this but thought i would chime in and say we too are having issues with international orders.

a larger chunk of our business is intl related and working with 3dcart (our merchant provider) they suggested tweaks and changes to allow more intl orders to process. It is still set to avoid fraud but less aggressive due to the way fields are entered/names/shipping/etc. There is a feature on some providers that "prechecks" authorization and AVS issues so it doens't precharge the card if something happens. One thing to look for is what type of AVS issue happens more frequently and see if that can be adjusted where appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by timgdixon View Post
          To clarify, are you seeing "decline" in your 3dCart console or in Authorize.net? sometimes, on the same transaction, their messaging is slightly different, and it can impact the best ways to handle. We're not Auth.net so our ability to see things is a little limited, but, for what it's worth!

Comment

We use a different system, but if I where having the issue you are I would try to see if there is a $ lvl where you can block the payments. In other word only block payments that do not have the correct AVS when the order is for more then $100 "just example". Hope Authorize.net has a feature like this I know other processer do. Hope this helps you out, if not sorry I could not be more of a help.
            Jimmy

Comment

Working...
            X