Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is there no setup that properly shows all checkout methods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is there no setup that properly shows all checkout methods?

I just don't understand....

I use PayPal Pro for cards. I also accept PayPal, Amazon and GoogleCheckout.

If I use regular 4 step checkout, I had to manually add the Amazon buttons to view cart and page 3. They cannot be added to page 1, even though Google and PayPal express are there.

I switched today to 1 page checkout. The buttons still show on view cart, but the checkout page only has PayPal Express and Google (and credit cards, of course)

I am completely frustrated with the half assed setup on the cart. I don't want to play a lot of games with all of these checkout methods, I just want to offer my customers as many options as possible without confusing them.

Doing that is simple, all they need to do is put all 3 buttons on the cart page. Period. It shouldn't matter which checkout you use, there should never be a Paypal or Google Button without an Amazon or vice versa (assuming you have them enabled)

Both of the checkout systems should offer this same thing. Period.

Only offering some of them in some of the places is 100% ridiculous and confuses the customers. I don't care which method the customer uses, but there should not be a bunch of BS.

3dcart, why can't you fix this simple thing?

DaveW

Hi Dave,

I appreciate the feedback about the way Paypal, CBA and Google Checkout currently display and I'll make sure to pass this along to our account managers with each one of them.

Please keep in mind that the layout and set up of these payments is not defined by 3dcart, but by these 3 companies during their certification process.

All 3 of these methods are meant to be displayed at VIEW CART, so visitors can choose any of these options before hitting checkout. It's also to compete against your checkout button and push the order to go their way. Google Checkout was the first one to bring this approach and the other 2 just followed it.

Then Paypal Express and Checkout By Amazon offer something that Google Checkout doesn't, which is the ability to be included as a regular payment method during the checkout process.

I'm assuming you're using templates that were customized a while back. The View Cart displays 3 buttons by default, so if you had the template before CBA was even integrated with 3dcart then it won't display. I suggest switching to the view_cart.html in the common folder so you can see how it works by default and then either go with this view cart or implement the changes to update your custom one.

Jimmy Rodriguez

Comment

Don't get me started on the modified checkout template thing...mine have not been modified by us since we started, but support insisted that they were and would not "fix" them when CBA wouldn't show up. I finally fixed it myself, but now I have the exact situation I was trying to avoid - modified checkout pages that support won't support because they are modified. :)

Anyway, I don't doubt that 3dCart is somewhat in the middle, but it is your job to provide a checkout process that is understandable and not confusing for the customer. The multi step, with CBA enabled, is a trainwreck.

The one page is a little better, but not great.

And, it was my Amazon rep who complained about the PayPal and Google buttons showing up in places without CBA being in the same place.

Either way, thanks for communicating with me about it. We are mostly happy with 3dCart, but sometimes these simple things seem to really be a fight.

DaveW

Comment

You will experience a neglibible number of people who will use CBA anyway. If you remove it trust me they will use another option. It's not a deal killer, most retailers out there still do not use it. But its your business I understand your choice just a suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by hanzoswords View Post
          You will experience a neglibible number of people who will use CBA anyway. If you remove it trust me they will use another option. It's not a deal killer, most retailers out there still do not use it. But its your business I understand your choice just a suggestion.
          About 10% of our orders have used it since we put the one page checkout up the other day. It was higher before that, mostly because it was confusing on what methods we actually accepted.

But, that really isn't my point. My point was that the cart doesn't really implement it very well, leaving the merchant with choosing the "least bad" option.

DaveW

Comment

Originally posted by DaveW View Post
            About 10% of our orders have used it since we put the one page checkout up the other day. It was higher before that, mostly because it was confusing on what methods we actually accepted.

But, that really isn't my point. My point was that the cart doesn't really implement it very well, leaving the merchant with choosing the "least bad" option.

DaveW
            I was on the phone with a B2B customer 'hand holding' them through the order as it was their first time using 3D Cart as we had recently migrated, they don't even have a Google account and instinctively clicked the Google Checkout button... confused them completely.

The payment choices should all be on the same page period.

Comment

Recent changes to 3dcart checkout?

DaveW & jimmy3dcart,

Over the last week we've fielded a number of calls from customers who could not use the multi-page checkout. From view cart they would choose Paypal, complete their process there and be returned to 3dcart page 2 I believe. When they hit the button to continue, the process errored out and requested a phone number. Problem is they were past the point where a phone number could be put in and there is no way to go backwards.

While one customer was on the line I switched to the 1 page checkout and since then customers have breezed through. PROBLEM IS none of our offline payments show up now. Yes, I'll open a ticket but I don't think any of us expect ANY problems with checkout! Otherwise I would have put up a web site and not paid for a - you know - shopping cart!!!

Comment

I have people bail because on the first screen, where you can calculate shipping, etc. it ONLY shows Google checkout and paypal. They think they can't use an online credit card method unless it's paypal and they bail and call me. If they go abit further, the next step, it shows my online credit card method and money order also, but no google at that point. It's confusing for them

Comment

I don't know if this will help, but I had the default PayPal Express set up and the offline methods would not show. When I switched to PayPal Standard (within the PayPal system), the offline methods and online methods are displayed in one place on the one-page checkout. (No Paypal image on the shopping cart.)

Comment

remove the paypal and google checkout buttons from the view cart screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Davef View Post
                      I don't know if this will help, but I had the default PayPal Express set up and the offline methods would not show. When I switched to PayPal Standard (within the PayPal system), the offline methods and online methods are displayed in one place on the one-page checkout. (No Paypal image on the shopping cart.)
                      Since being tired and well, upset last night I have found that IF a customer chooses to create an account and sign in THEN the offline methods show up. We have always allowed anonymous checkout. You'd be surprised how many customers in our genre want to pay with with a money order and not create an account. Just part of our particular vertical.

I'll call support on Monday.

Comment

make sure customer group is set to all for the offline payment and it will show up for customers that don't have any account.

Comment

Originally posted by doberer View Post
                          make sure customer group is set to all for the offline payment and it will show up for customers that don't have any account.
                          They are. Offline payments no longer show up at least on the 1 page checkout.

Comment

Originally posted by g1gallery View Post
                            They are. Offline payments no longer show up at least on the 1 page checkout.
                            I did a test on mine and noticed that once you enter an address and email on the one page checkout, all of the payment methods then show up. Without the address information filled in, only the credit card option shows.

I put a note in the footer that I accept paypal and credit cards. I do not show the paypal button on the cart page as some do since this causes confusion to the buyer. It only shows on the checkout page.
                            Marsha,

Comment

Originally posted by mac411 View Post
                              I did a test on mine and noticed that once you enter an address and email on the one page checkout, all of the payment methods then show up. Without the address information filled in, only the credit card option shows.

I put a note in the footer that I accept paypal and credit cards. I do not show the paypal button on the cart page as some do since this causes confusion to the buyer. It only shows on the checkout page.
                              I'll be! Well that makes sense in a way ....

Davef, doberer, mac411 thank you. Much appreciated!

Jon Alexander
                              G1 Gallery
                              www.g1gallery.com

Comment

Working...
                              X