International Orders / Payment Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Orders / Payment Options

What do people currently use as payment options for international orders?

We accept credit card and Paypal, but will not ship to any address that we can not verify. If the address is not verified, then we request a wire transfer.

On a regular basis we end up not shipping the order and refunding the customer. I wanted to see if anybody else had a better way of handling international orders.

Is there a payment gateway for wire transfers that can be installed into 3dcart?

Thanks,
    Chad
    bmikarts.com

I only accept credit cards. If the order looks suspicious I will either have them verify a small refund back to the card, or have them send me a digital picture of some photo ID. I personally don't want to get anywhere involved with wire transfers.

Comment

I do Paypal only for most international orders. I have a couple of folks in Canada who order, so I set up a test $100 max credit card for Canadian orders too.

Comment

Does anyone have the sense that paypal is better than straight credit cards for international, fraud-protection-wise?

What I'd like is to only allow confirmed addresses and verified account-holders from paypal, but I don't think that is possible.

Comment

We accept credit cards and PayPal.
          We, similar to cbsteven, have them verify charge amount (we under capture the amount). With PayPal we mostly go by gut. Usually it is pretty good.

Here are some more checks we do:
          Study the ip address location
          Use Google Maps to see the delivery address
          You can call or e-mail them to get a gut feeling.
          study the items ordered
          Did you use a discount code?

With credit cards, look for an S in AVS verification. It indicates an international credit card, and most likely it is shipping to a forwarding address.

Comment

It's funny to see this thread pop up today - I just spent a good portion of my morning struggling with the same issue. For us, we get a fair number of orders that come from the islands or Central America. Most of them are shipped to freight forwarding companies in Miami since we don't ship internationally. We end up turning most of these customers away, but I know that a fair number of these orders are legitimate - we just don't have the ability to fully verify them.

Does anyone know if you can purchase fraud insurance for orders such as this? I've seen some companies that provide insurance against chargebacks, but honestly, the chargeback fee is the least of my concerns. Most of the orders we get of this type involve hundreds or thousands of dollars in merchandise.

I do like Cbstevens method of having the buyer verify a small refund amount. I might try this in the future. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
              Does anyone have the sense that paypal is better than straight credit cards for international, fraud-protection-wise?

What I'd like is to only allow confirmed addresses and verified account-holders from paypal, but I don't think that is possible.

From what we have noticed Paypal verified and confirmed addresses with international orders is very rare. Most of the time international orders do not qualify for Seller Protection through Paypal.

Thanks for the tips about the refund verification. This is something I think we will utilize.

-Chad

Comment

It is much faster to under charge and have them verify the actual charge. From my experience refunds take longer to show up in the customers' account.
                I think Amazon payments covers fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                  It is much faster to under charge and have them verify the actual charge. From my experience refunds take longer to show up in the customers' account.
                  I think Amazon payments covers fraud.

I can see this working for phone orders, but how do you undercharge them for website orders? Many times the authorization and capture of the credit charge has already taken place before anyone internally even sees the order.

Thanks
                  Chad

Comment

Originally posted by bmikarts View Post
                    From what we have noticed Paypal verified and confirmed addresses with international orders is very rare. Most of the time international orders do not qualify for Seller Protection through Paypal.
                    This isn't true. While most non-US address won't show up as confirmed, you are still covered under PayPal's policies so long as you ship to the specified address, and use a signature-required shipping method.

We have our payment options set up so PayPal will be the only option available for orders over $100. Otherwise, only credit card is accepted.
                    - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Originally posted by DeanP View Post
                      This isn't true. While most non-US address won't show up as confirmed, you are still covered under PayPal's policies so long as you ship to the specified address, and use a signature-required shipping method.

We have our payment options set up so PayPal will be the only option available for orders over $100. Otherwise, only credit card is accepted.

Do these transactions show "eligible" under seller protection when you view them?

Comment

Working...
                      X