Alternative to Paypal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to Paypal

Now I am not totally against pay pal, but a few successful business people told me to steer clear from it. Pay pal also seems to be in favor of the buyer in most situations (not like its a bad thing), so I'm just trying to cover my own hide in case someone tries to make a purchase with a stolen credit card.

I will be implementing flat rate shipping on my website within the next few days. This method will be offered to the lower 48 excluding Alaska and Hawaii as well as international shipments. Due to product size and weights, it's not feasible for me to offer shipping at a reduced rate to these places. At the same time I don't want to lose my customers in AK, HI & International, so my plan is to quote shipping to these customers via email and then invoice them.
    Last edited by JBPA_570; 05-16-2014, 08:58 AM.

I'm not seeing the connection between PayPal and your shipping situation, but I did want to comment on one thing you said.

You mentioned quoting shipping via email for AK, HI, and intl customers. Why not just offer first class or usps mail to these customers instead? You can do this automatically with 3D Cart.
    - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

PayPal is not any worse than credit card companies.
      Also, PayPal will indicate on the e-mail if the shipping address is confirmed. If it is they will guarantee the sale if you ship with signature confirmation to that address.
      1/3 of our sales are via PayPal, and the cost is much lower than credit cards as an added bonus.
      Usually if the shipping address is confirmed we would only do a signature for large orders, we have only ever had one claim on an order to a confirmed address and we ended up winning that one.
      The point is how many sales would you lose to avoid a fraudulent charge? If you never complete a sale, you will never have any fraud!
      Last edited by elightbox; 05-17-2014, 11:50 AM.

Comment

We have been using PayPal for 10 years now and in all that time we have never had any serious issues with them. Certainly no more than with the credit card companies.

I know that there are lots of horror stories floating around about them, and many are probably even true. But overall they are no better or worse than any other payment processor.

Comment

We have been using paypal for over 7 years with no problems at all. We've never lost a dispute. Can't say that about our various credit card processors we've used.

Comment

Chase is offering a relatively new service called QuickPay. It used to be called OnePay, then they changed it to QuickPay.

It is setup differently than PayPal, but there are no fees, for either side.

I've been experimenting with it for a few weeks now (as a buyer) and it seems to be fast and efficient. Trying to implement it from the seller side is a whole other ballgame.

----------

After contacting support they said they do not support this payment method as yet. However, I've toyed with a few work arounds and I'm getting closer, so there is hope.

Comment

Isn't QuickPay basically a person-to-person payment method? I didnt think it was intended for the use case of someone paying a business.

Comment

theres no api for quickpay.. its not the type of payment method to use in an ecommerce store.

I've been working on integrating with braintree (now joined with paypal i guess.. they sent an email about paypal the other day). Same rates as stripe but payout is 48 hours vs an entire week. Their api is rediculously easy to work with and they even have a npm module ready to go already.

Comment

Originally posted by DeanP View Post
                  I'm not seeing the connection between PayPal and your shipping situation, but I did want to comment on one thing you said.

You mentioned quoting shipping via email for AK, HI, and intl customers. Why not just offer first class or usps mail to these customers instead? You can do this automatically with 3D Cart.
                  Postal would be the most economical method of shipment to Ak, Hi & internationally. The only drawback is that some of my packages are maybe 6lbs, but its the dimensional weight that increases the cost. That's why I wanted to give them a quote as opposed to letting the shopping cart come charge a rate and then I get stuck paying an extra $20 and losing all of my profit.

I have never had a problem using paypal personally, but like I said above, I was advised against it. It seems like everyone that replied here had nothing but positive things to say, so I may as well use it. Plus I can email them a quote and if accepted I can just invoice them.

Comment

Working...
                  X