GOOGLE BASE: New required field: "Condition"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOOGLE BASE: New required field: "Condition"

Google base is now requiring a new field in it's data upload files: "condition." Has anyone else had to deal with this? Has anyone found a way around this?

My current plan is to use a custom field as the condition field, but I don't like how it shows up on the product page. Any other suggestions?
    Webmaster: Texas Media Systems

Well this may be inconvenient for those selling items other than "new"
    We have a "constant" in our Googlebase "custom" settings that always populates the field with the prefix "new". If your items vary, the custom field is a good idea. If you are not using them, you could delete them from displaying in your listing template.
    Or, if you are not using the Tax Code for products, you could use that for the condtion field. Or could edit your upload file to include the condition field but that wouldn't update automagically. Does the 3dcart admin allow you to add another attribute for products? :confused:

Comment

That is pretty nifty workaround...

That is a pretty nifty workaround, but our products have various "conditions." I don't know if Google will even accept some of them. Besides "used" and "new" we also have "refurbished," "demo," and "open box." I'm hoping Google will accept those. If not, I'll post here saying so.

I'm trying the extra field workaround. I'm putting the condition in the "Field 1" box for each product. I commented the code out of the "listing_0.html" file and set "extrafield_1" as "condition" on my customized Google Base feed generator.

If it doesn't work, I'll be posting here again.

Has anyone come up with a more clever workaround? I feel my fix is inefficeint, yet sufficeint.

Comment

Google only accepts three values for the condition field: new, used, and refurbished.

Full details here: Google Base Answers

Comment

How to comment out code?

Originally posted by TMS Clint View Post
          I'm trying the extra field workaround. I'm putting the condition in the "Field 1" box for each product. I commented the code out of the "listing_0.html" file and set "extrafield_1" as "condition" on my customized Google Base feed generator.
          I know this is an older post, but I am hoping you can tell me how you commented out the code in the template? I am looking at the google feed and I sell both used and new items. I am not sure I want used showing on the product listing. I prefer to say "vintage" not used. Google won't accept vintage. LOL.

Comment

go to your listing template Listing_0.html, listing_1.html etc.. either via FTP or by going to Settings>design>template editor.

HTML Code:
            Look for the sections for the specific extra_field you want to hide
             and remove  --> from the first line and
            <!-- from the last line like so:

<!--START: extra_field_10
            <tr>
            <td colspan="3"><strong>[product_extrafield10]</strong></td>
            </tr>
            <tr>
            <td class="item" colspan="3">[extra_field_10]</td>
            </tr>
            END: extra_field_10-->

Comment

Awesome thanks a bunch!

Comment

For some reason I thought they always required that or at least it was optional, no?

Comment

Working...
                X