Google Penalty Duplicate Title/Description in 3dcart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Penalty Duplicate Title/Description in 3dcart

Google gives out a penalty for duplicate Titles and Descriptions. On 3dcart this happens when you use the product index and category index. Both are worth keeping. It actually uses the home page title and description. We will all rank a little better if this gets changed.

I am being told that more 3dcart users will need to make it known that this is of added value to do for it to be changed.

Scott

The product and category index pages are not meant to rank on search engines. They are simply a way to get to every link of your store.

The fact is that if a customer lands on a page with a bunch of links and no content more than likely he/she is going to hit BACK, so you don't want them ranking.

At this point, they are not even that important, as search engines are a lot smarter now (The idea of having a page with all the links for search engine crawling purposes is over 5 years old now).

Regarding Google, you want to look into using their webmaster tools as well as the google sitemap XML, it will work a lot smarter than the product/cat index pages.
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

I can understand about not ranking for these pages. And we do have an xml sitemap. So I guess the real question is it helping or hurting us by having the product index page and or category index page. And if we end up taking it off the site will google favor it or take us back in ratings for a little till we bounce back? Hmmmmm.

Comment

I guess the real question is it helping or hurting us by having the product index page and or category index page. And if we end up taking it off the site will google favor it or take us back in ratings for a little till we bounce back? Hmmmmm.
        The answer in respect to Google is neither. (won't help, won't hurt)
        It may benefit you to keep it for some of the other much smaller search engines, however, the big 3 (Google, Yahoo, Bing) don't really need it, and this is where you are going to get 99% of your traffic from anyway.

You could leave it there for the other older search engines that might need it, for sure it won't hurt your rankings on any search engine having them present.
        ----------------------------
        Gonzalo Gil
        3dCart Support
        800-828-6650 x111

Comment

We also would like the ability to have different Meta Titles, Meta Descriptions, and Meta Keywords on the Category Index and Product Index sitemap pages. It doesn't hurt search engine rankings to have a good user facing sitemap with unique meta tags. Search engine algorithms are always changing so tomorrow this could be something that is seen by valuable for one or more search engines. Also, there are ranking factors that are unknown so it could be more important now than we realize.

I also think sitemaps are a valuable tool for some users. I often visit other sites sitemaps as a way to see what links they have available and the structure of their site. I value sitemaps that are easy to use.

I know making the sitemaps "pretty" would be more work for 3DCart. But just adding the ability to have unique meta tags would be nice. These do show up in webmaster tools as "duplicate" meta tags since they are the same as the homepage. It would be good to get this "duplicate" off our webmaster tools account.

Comment

Product Index Meta

I found how to make changes to the Categories <title> but can't find where to change the <title> for the Product Index. Is this possible? Can you add meta description to either of these pages yet?
            www.wirecutterstore.com

Comment

Working...
            X