Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we get gzip installed on server now?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we get gzip installed on server now?

According to google (see: http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...h-ranking.html) loading speeds on web pages effect rankings. With gzip/deflate installed on servers can save seconds of loading times and help boost rankings. Will customers ever have shell access to install it? It's so simple but 3dcart refuses to install it.. my question: why?

We have gzip enabled on some file types, we are working on enabling it for others such as .js/.css, we will be deploying an update to all web servers after the 3.2 release.
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Any word on this? I just ran a report and I'm getting gzip suggestions from Google also.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
        We have gzip enabled on some file types, we are working on enabling it for others such as .js/.css, we will be deploying an update to all web servers after the 3.2 release.
        I am glad this is in the works. Has this been done yet? Yes compression does affect load speed, and load speed does affect SEO rankings.

Comment

Has anyone actually tried to just modify the .htaccess file to enable gzip for other file types ? or to modify expire headers, etc. ? Many suggestions are given to speed up the store when using GTmetrix.com (PageSpeed and YSlow).

Ed

Comment

It appears that gzip is still not turned on for JS and CSS ... can this be true in 2012?
            Last edited by brianadkins; 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Yes please. We're getting hit from the serps because of page load times.

Comment

Gzip - Has this been completed?

Has gzip been implemented yet? I am getting a warning from Google that gzip is not installed and is hurting our speed.

Comment

Have you tried using Cloudflare ? It will Gzip and accelerate your 3dcart site without the need for Gzip on 3d servers.

Comment

Pay for something that should be standard?

Originally posted by edcroteau View Post
                    Have you tried using Cloudflare ? It will Gzip and accelerate your 3dcart site without the need for Gzip on 3d servers.

Comment

Cloudflare offers a free service tier which is more than adequate. No need for PRO for just Gzip and many other speed increasers. Plus you get the added benefit of lower bandwidth from 3dcart and a host of security measures.

But, yes, 3dcart should offer Gzipping on the servers, I agree. There's just much more on Cloudflare than that - check it out.

I used the free service Cloudflare with 3dcart for over a year and just now switched to PRO for advanced features.

Comment

Update on GZip

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I apologize for any misunderstanding that this has caused, but gzip has already been installed on all of our servers, as of a few months ago. If you're notice that it's not installed, then please provide me your domain name and we'll look into the matter for you. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
                        Fernando- CCO
                        3dcart

Comment

Working...
                        X