No announcement yet.

Does anyone claim their site on Alexa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone claim their site on Alexa?

Is there any real benefit to claiming your site on Alexa?
    www.concession-supply.com

The anomaly that is Alexa

Not sure if there's any benefit to claiming a site, but then again, I'm not really sure of the benefit and accuracy of Alexa to begin with.

Our site is like a roller coaster there, going from way, way up, to way, way down (repeat cycle) in their "rankings". There's no rhyme or reason as to why, since traffic remains consistent, following an albeit slow upward trend. No clue what they're doing, or for that matter, why.

Of course maybe by claiming the site, I'd find out! :confused:

NT

Afterthought...maybe we should offer to install the Alexa toolbar for FREE (what a deal) while the customer is on our respective websites. Hmmmm. :rolleyes:
    Last edited by N.TESLA; 12-08-2010, 12:24 AM.

Comment

I claimed my sites. Don't know that there is really any benefit or not.

Originally posted by N.TESLA View Post
      Not sure if there's any benefit to claiming a site, but then again, I'm not really sure of the benefit and accuracy of Alexa to begin with.

Our site is like a roller coaster there, going from way, way up, to way, way down (repeat cycle) in their "rankings". There's no rhyme or reason as to why, since traffic remains consistent, following an albeit slow upward trend. No clue what they're doing, or for that matter, why.

Of course maybe by claiming the site, I'd find out! :confused:

NT

Afterthought...maybe we should offer to install the Alexa toolbar for FREE (what a deal) while the customer is on our respective websites. Hmmmm. :rolleyes:
      Steve Teske
      Director of eCommerce
      Hogan Walker LLC
      www.GreenFunStore.com
      www.GreenPartStore.com
      www.FarmFunStore.com
      www.HoganWalker.com

Comment

Alexa

We claimed our sites as well. I've read some recent articles that say Alexa just isn't relevant anymore. If it ever was. More of a sales tool for Alexa itself and some who do SEO.

Comment

The reason your seeing the up and down on Alexa's rankings is how their rankings work. They only know someone visited your site if the user has the Alexa toolbar installed. Since there's only a few of those users when one or two hits your site it will bounce up. Then let a couple of days pass without one and you'll drop like a rock.

Alexa is very, very good for websites that are highly trafficked. Then Alexa is getting frequent enough reports from its users to know what the traffic levels are. If you are in the lower segments you'll see some widely inaccurate numbers.

Comment

I claimed ours but the Alexa site is unable to correct incorrect data it has about us and there is no support available for that site. I would say it appears the site has been abandoned and is most likely not relevant to search engines any more.

I have toyed with the idea of getting our lawyer to write them a letter explaining they need to either correct the information about us as it hurts our business or remove the listing altogether.

As with all the directories they have a legal responsibility to have correct information or allow business owners to correct it. This plays directly into a businesses bottom line. When they have incorrect phone numbers or links people never get to the business and can be frustrated and buy somewhere else.

In my opinion Alexa is detriment to the web.

Comment

Working...
            X