Question about 301 Redirects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about 301 Redirects

What is the best/easiest way to gather urls from our old platform? I have probably 2000 links in Google. Is going through copy/pasting each old url into the 301 redirect section here the best way? Sounds time consuming. Is there a faster/easier way?

Can you export a file from your current cart with the page names of your products? That would be the easiest as long as the product Ids match on your old and new system you could import those file names to your products and won't need to do any 301s

You would make a file with Id,filename and update your products...
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
      Can you export a file from your current cart with the page names of your products? That would be the easiest as long as the product Ids match on your old and new system you could import those file names to your products and won't need to do any 301s

You would make a file with Id,filename and update your products...
      My product id's on the current cart use underscores in the product id, ie Black_Candle_Warmer where 3d is using hyphens, ie Black-Candle-Warmer so I dont know if this would work.

Comment

I would think that it would be pretty easy to use Excel's find and replace functionality to go through your spreadsheet and replace all the underscores with dashes. It's under the Edit menu.

Comment

rburton34, since you're converting from Volusion like I was, I did a data dump using a custom SQL query that I used for my Google/Froogle data submission. That data dump had all the SEO friendly URL's for all the products. Then I had to manually go and get all the URL's for the non-product pages (categories, info pages, etc). I added those to the csv file from the data dump and then started filling in the 3dC side of the equation for each of those URL's. It took a bit of time to get it done right, but it paid off in the end because I didn't lose any ranking in Google. After the spreadsheet was done, I paid 3dC to import the whole thing into my account.

Comment

Piaf

Is it possible for you to PM me the SQL query you used?

Thanks,
            Vista

Comment

Vista, I hate to have to tell you this, but I didn't copy any of the SQL code I used in Volusion before I canceled my account there. BUT, if you still have access to their forums, you might find some references to it. Do a search for google base or froogle or possibly even friendly URL or something along those lines and you should hopefully be able to at least find the code that someone posted about exporting the SEO friendly URL's for the products.

My SQL query was originally based on something I read in their forums, so hopefully you'll be able to find it as well.

Comment

Ugh, no I dont have access. I stupidly thought when they said we could discuss other carts we could discuss other carts. I asked if anyone had any experience with 3D Cart I was suspended.

Oh well. Guess I will start copying and pasting.
                Last edited by rburton34; 01-03-2011, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Vista, I think I found something that will help.... I had helped another guy with 301 redirects when he moved his store from Yahoo to Volusion about 2 years ago. In the process I emailed him a SQL query to export his Volusion SEO friendly URL's. Give this a try....

Go to Inventory > Import/Export. Click on the Saved Exports tab at the top. Once you're on the Saved Exports screen, look down the list of saved exports till you see the blue linked "Add New Query". Click on that. Now fill in the fields there with the following information:

QB_CustomerID 0 (the number zero)
                  QB_Table DB_Export
                  QB_Title SEO Friendly URLs
                  QB_QueryType SELECT
                  QB_QueryType (copy and paste the following info, leaving in all the spaces, line breaks, etc, exactly the way it is here)

SELECT p.ProductCode AS id
                  , p.ProductName AS [stripHTML-title]
                  , 'Config_FullStoreURL' + Replace(pe.ProductNameShort,' ','_') + '_p/' + p.ProductCode + '.htm' AS link

FROM Products p
                  INNER JOIN Products_Extended pe ON p.ProductID = pe.ProductID

WHERE (p.IsChildOfProductCode is NULL OR p.IsChildOfProductCode = '')
                  AND (p.HideProduct is NULL OR p.HideProduct <> 'Y')
                  AND (pe.ProductPrice > 0)

ORDER BY p.ProductCode

Then click "Add New" at the bottom. Then go back and click the "Import/Export" link at the top of the page. Click the Saved Exports tab again. Now you should see a query called SEO Friendly URLs. Click in the radio button for that query, choose CSV export underneath and run the query. You should get all your SEO friendly urls for your Products. This does not include any articles or categories.

Comment

Thank you!! That worked!

Comment

Good deal, glad I could help :)

Comment

Working...
                      X