Where are the metatags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the metatags?

I've listed my website with google, and if I type in the exact url I come up as like number 4 or 5.

But, I dont come up under anything else (analytics still says I've had 17 google visitors! somehow...)....

Is this because I haven't put any metatags up? Is there a section of the website for "main website" metatags (and where would that be?).

I've also got about 1300 products so far. Some have key words, others dont. Is it because I didn't add a key word to every single product, that I am not showing up in google?

Thanks

:-)

Sarah

There are meta tags for every product that you can set (when editing a product); it's one of the tabs (you can use the tag-wizard for each if you want). For non-product pages, there is also a meta tags entry field when editing the pages in the admin.

Google does not use the keywords meta tag at all in their algorithm, per well known (in my field at least, SEO) Google Engineer Matt Cutts (IIRC, it was announced in 2007). That being said, it's wise to use them anyway for any other engine that still uses them.

As far as meta tags are concerned, the description tag is probably the more important one to have some relevant information in.

I don't think there is a "site-wide" meta tag setting...you wouldn't want that anyway; Google favors unique & relevant description/title tags for each page rather than duplicates that span the entire site (per their webmaster guidelines).
    Last edited by Burnspot; 01-13-2011, 08:51 PM.

Comment

When adding an item, there is a place for keywords in the item information section. Once filled in, this creates the meta keywords and the description is pulled from the item description and it is my understanding there would be no need to use the tag wizard. :confused:

Comment

Originally posted by rburton34 View Post
        When adding an item, there is a place for keywords in the item information section. Once filled in, this creates the meta keywords and the description is pulled from the item description and it is my understanding there would be no need to use the tag wizard. :confused:
        Yea, I think are some instances where it won't populate the description automatically...might be on non-product pages.

Comment

Each product in the admin has a meta tag tab. Go to that tab and use the meta tag wizard. You will be able to add the keywords for that product as well as descriptions.
          Luxlife

Comment

Originally posted by Luxlife View Post
            Each product in the admin has a meta tag tab. Go to that tab and use the meta tag wizard. You will be able to add the keywords for that product as well as descriptions.
            On a side note, the keywords field on the main page for editing the product description (where you enter terms that folks might use when searching your site) will populate the keywords meta tag also.

Comment

If you'll look at the source code for one of your product pages, you should see metatags automatically generated for you. Here's the metatags I've got on my pages without doing anything extra with the metatag wizard:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<meta name="Description" content="my product's description in here">

<meta name="Keywords" content="the content of my products Keyword field in here">

<META NAME="GOOGLEBOT" CONTENT="INDEX,FOLLOW">

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="INDEX,FOLLOW">

For those, I've done NOTHING except fill out the description field for my product and the Keywords field for my product. The rest are automatically generated by 3dCart.

Comment

Working...
              X