X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rburton34
    replied
    Originally posted by brian View Post

I know one good SEO tip for merchants along these lines. If you get wind of a new product from a manufacturer, get the product name and add it your store immediately (w/ waiting list enabled). Get the product page in the SERPS first and you will get a leg up on your competitors in the SEs. I’ve found that Google favors the first store to add the product to their catalog.
    Thats a really good tip, something I had not thought of. My vendor emailed me a list of new items along with images that are due in mid March. I'm going to get those items on the site and use the waiting list feature.

Leave a comment:

• watchdr
    replied
    Thanks for your help. Sorry it took me awhile to respond. I have had several major things to take care of.

I asked about hiding the product because we have a vendor that is unable for who knows what reason to replenish their inventory on some products. One such item they have not had for over a year yet when we call asking about it they claim they will be getting them in a few months. Well, we no longer believe they know what they are talking about and do not trust them when we hear this.

It causes a lot of frustration for our customers who have been waiting for so long and I don't feel that frustrating a customer is a wise thing. So I am very interested in what is best for our customers.

I think I will look into putting a custom message on these items letting the customers know the items are on order but we have no clue as to when or if they will ever arrive again.

I'll word it differently of course.

By hiding the options there is no way for anyone to order the item so maybe the best thing is to just hide the options and then put a custom message. This way my not mess up the SEO.

I would not mind the waiting list option however I can see it getting loaded up with people wanting these products and them never showing up.

Leave a comment:

• brian
    replied
    Is anyone currently using International Checkout? If so, what are your thoughts? It looks intriguing but their website is rather vague on pricing. It would appear that customer absorbs the costs. Also, does the store owner have to supply the tariff codes? tariff codes

It's better to leave the product as visible and have the waiting list enabled. One caveat; Don't do this with a lot of products because customers will get frustrated.

The larger your product catalog (or pages on your site) the more traffic you get (the core reason for SEO). If the product page is hidden, it could be removed the SERPs. Once in-stock, you could be starting from scratch to get good ranking in the SERPS.

Plus, your conversion rate for the product with it hidden is 0%. The waiting list will most certainly beat that! I love the waiting list and it makes my store $$$!

I know one good SEO tip for merchants along these lines. If you get wind of a new product from a manufacturer, get the product name and add it your store immediately (w/ waiting list enabled). Get the product page in the SERPS first and you will get a leg up on your competitors in the SEs. I’ve found that Google favors the first store to add the product to their catalog.
    Last edited by brian; 02-16-2011, 09:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brassandsilver
    replied
    If it is a popular item and we know we will eventually have it again, we leave it visible with the waiting list enabled. On the product page, though, we add a sentence about our expected restock date, which is sometimes many months away. Still our customers seem to like being able to place themselves on our list and are willing to wait it out. It also gives us useful information about which items really have the highest demand.

Leave a comment:

• tmilone103
    replied
    Is it discontinued or can you just not get them anymore?

Leave a comment:

• watchdr
    started a topic IS it better to hide a product or...

IS it better to hide a product or...

Is it better for SEO to hide a product that we no longer have stock on and the importer has not had stock on for months or to leave it so it shows but disable the options so it cannot be added to the cart?

Fo course it is one of the most popular products we have but if we can't get it we don't want to aggravate customers with allowing them to put it in the cart and feel that even having it show could be upsetting to some customers.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    ken
Working...
X