Google changes Data Feed Specification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google changes Data Feed Specification

Looks like some new changes to Google Feed are coming up.

http://www.seroundtable.com/google-m...req-13116.html
    Last edited by kem; 03-17-2011, 10:00 AM.
    kem
    AddressNumbers.com
    Address Plaques, Memorials, Home & Garden Decor, Gifts and more.

Have you figured out how to add your shipping & tax info? I tried simply adding the shipcost & tax_code, but that didn't work.

I finally figured out Google. Sadly, it's taken me weeks, changing one thing at a time until it worked. I was a bit bummed that they're changing the requirements. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.
    VMcEwen
    Zephyr Kites

Comment

Hi. Hope this helps:

You can set the shipping and tax in the settings in Google Merchant account. We use a flat rate based on order total, so we set up a table. For the tax, you can select a state for example and enter the tax rate.

Did you use the 3dcart google/base feed? Curious to know what your problems were. I set up a new product_type field because 3dcart pathed it to the category level which didn't work with Google attributes. But, am having issues with quotes. Think I have it figured out, but will wait until tomorrow to check. (Thanks to forum members who helped me set up a hidden field for product_type.)

(BTW, we use the 3dCart Google base feed for Bing. For some reason, the 3DCart feed for Google base removes the HTML, but the 3dCart feed for Bing does not remove the HTML. )
      Last edited by kem; 03-19-2011, 07:00 PM. Reason: Clarified feed generation
      kem
      AddressNumbers.com

Comment

Fantastic! Thanks for the help with shipping & tax. I'll check tomorrow to see how it's working. I use flat rate also, so the table was super-easy to set up.

The problems I was having was that the default attributes in the Google feed made my items too 'specific' and they were listed individually on google. While that's lovely, I really wanted to be lumped in with other vendors selling the same item. I wanted to be on the group 'compare prices' page. So I had to strip out some of the attributes. (see compare prices jpg)

At the same time, I didn't want my listing too bare, in the event my item is a bit rarer. I wanted to be able to showcase our images with individual listings, as the plain images used by Google are super-boring. (individual jpg)

Did that make any sense? I barely understand what I'm doing, so I don't know that I can effectively communicate what I'm doing. :)

I removed the product type too. Google has suggested I add it, but it hasn't caused any problems, and I want to make sure I stay in the 'compare prices' group.

Thanks again!

ps--Just while typing this, Google has updated my shipping & tax info & it's already showing in the results. Unfortunately, none of my competition has this info filled in, so I'm alot more expensive. I might disable this until it's required.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by vkmcewen; 03-19-2011, 07:52 PM. Reason: forgot to add jpgs
        VMcEwen
        Zephyr Kites

Comment

Not using Bing

BTW, we're not using Bing at this point. Just going for *free* google merchant.
          VMcEwen
          Zephyr Kites

Comment

I sent you a pm with some more info.
            kem
            AddressNumbers.com

Comment

Working...
            X