Opinion Needed ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion Needed ....

We are getting ready to switch our DNS over to 3DCart making it live. My question is "301 redirects" vs "exact Custom File Names". Probably a bit confusing, so I'll try to explain better:

Our current cart has, as an example:
    OurWebsite.com/word_word_word.html for a certain category or product. Notice the underscores for "spaces".

QUESTINS:
    1. In our New site (3DCart), are we better off using a "301 redirect" for each and every one of our categories, products, pages, etc.?
    2. And if so, does it matter (SEO wise) to use and "underscore_" or a "dash-" (such as: OurWebsite.com/word-word-word.html)for file names on the new 3DCart site??
    ..... or .....
    3. Is it OK (SEO wise) to just use Custom File Names to match what our current site has (underscores and all)?

I know this is a a lot to ask in one post, but I have read so much (pro, con, dose not matter) info, that I thought mabe I could get some 3DCart opinions, real world insight as to the matter!!!!

Any comments are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Barry; 05-27-2011, 11:28 PM.

Dash = space
    Underscore = space or _
    I would want to be seen as a space without question

Are you happy with the current urls word wise.
    You can do a find and replace for the _ to -

So you would want to do a 301
    Think about how new urls are to be created in the name of same look and feel (auto or a royal pain).
    I prefer auto on the product level as we add many products daily.
    We do custom on the category and other pages.
    Minus the product_index.asp and category_index.asp must remain in order to function.

My 2 cents
    Doesn't seem fair to charge for 301s in bulk when most develop and go out of way to make newly converted customers go as easy and simple as possible.
    Clayton
    Go Live Industries

Comment

Go Live,
      Thanks for the insight - makes sense ... but ....

Think about how new urls are to be created in the name of same look and feel (auto or a royal pain).
      I prefer auto on the product level as we add many products daily.
      When I create a new product, 3DC "automatically" makes the URL "http://MyStore.com/Name-Of-Product_p_24.html". I have to admit that I'm not sure the added "_p_24" at the end is any good! Or am I wrong and it does not matter (SEO wise)?

We normally don't change/add products that often, so we may be talking "apples and oranges". So if I understand you correctly, by (auto or royal pain) you mean that you let 3DC "automatically" create the URL that includes the "_p_24" at the end.

Doesn't seem fair to charge for 301s in bulk when most develop and go out of way to make newly converted customers go as easy and simple as possible
      I thought that 3DCart now allows us to bulk upload 301's. I could be wrong as I haven't actually tried it yet!

Comment

When we switched to 3dcart I just changed our dns, nothing else and google already has our homepage rank 3 which is good for our category. This really though does not make you any better or worse on hits imo. I think most think PR means big hits, but its really only means google trust you, so if you have a good PR, and you use the right keywords then there is no reason google will not rank you well for those keywords. Just having a high PR for your category though does not get you big hits, but it does show a sign of trust so that's what we did and it was simple. Just my thoughts I could be wrong, but dns change is all we did and I also had 3dcart person tell me if you change your dns no reason to do redirect. Anyway just my 2cents hope this helps you out, if I did not understand your question correctly I am sorry.
        Jimmy

Comment

Barry you are assumming correct.

The extra _p_24 in the url does not hurt. You should be more concerned about not putting your titles over 70 characters as per Google webmasters tools.

If you don't have PR and many backlinks then don't worry about 301s Most product sales come from Google base and the like.
          Last edited by Go Live; 05-29-2011, 10:24 AM.
          Clayton
          Go Live Industries

Comment

Working...
          X