Changes to Google Product Feed eff 9.22.2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes to Google Product Feed eff 9.22.2011

Read all about the new requirements here.

An excerpt...

Important Changes to Google Product Search Feed Specification & Policies

In 2011, we are committed to making Google Product Search an even better shopping experience for our users. Our goal is for shoppers to quickly and easily find the information they need on Google Product Search - and in turn to send more shoppers to our merchants.

To support this effort, we’re announcing a number of changes to the Google Product Search Feed Specification and Policies. Starting on September 22, 2011 we will be taking action against accounts in the United States, France, United Kingdom, Japan, and Germany that do not comply with the new spec and policy requirements. For feeds targeting Italy, the Netherlands, and Spain, we will be sending emails to all affected accounts with more information about any changes.

My only concern is availability for wish list and sale_price_effective_date.

The availability field will accept only the following entries:
    • in stock
    • out of stock
    • available for order
    • preorder

3dcart does not support this but can be done manually using:
    Field = constant
    Alias = availability
    Prefix = in stock
    This will be displayed for all products

the sale price effective date needs to be in the following format:
    2011-03-01T13:00:00Z/2011-03-11T15:30:00Z
    Field = extra_field_?
    Alias = sale_price_effective_date

Download products and or cats on sale input date in said field

Hope this helps
    Of course with all the extra run around you will need to update the sale dates just before the 30 days if you have your account set to expire at the maximum of 30 days. Haven't heard a thing about the promise of google going auto on 3dcart. Auto will still be good for newly listed products.
    Again hope this helps.
    Clayton
    Go Live Industries

Comment

3dcart Google Feed can use a face-lift

Thanks guys for the update.

I hope 3d gives Google feed a face-lift. First we need the friendly URLs sent instead of the product.asp?xxx urls., add missing fields mentioned above and in other posts, and implement the promised auto-generate feature.

Comment

Tax

I'm not really clear on what GMC wants for tax. I have read the following but thought I saw somewhere else that lacking tax information in the feed that GMC would go to our GMC account and pull from there. Same with shipping.

Here's what I am currently reading concerning taxes:

6. Tax & Shipping

Taxes and shipping are an important part of the total cost of items. In fact, shipping cost is the most common reason for users abandoning their shopping choices. The 'tax' attribute is only applicable to feeds targeting the US - for all other countries, value added tax (VAT) has to be included in the price.

There are three ways to specify tax (US only) and shipping costs:

1. Settings in the Merchant Center: We offer various ways to specify tax and shipping costs if your pricing structure is relatively simple. For example, if you have one shipping price for all your items, or if you use a structure based on the weight of the packaged item (in that case, include the shipping weight attribute), our system can easily accommodate your tax and shipping information. Learn more.
        2. Attributes in the feed: By using the tax and shipping attributes below, you can model more complex tax and shipping cost structures.
        3. Combination of the two: You can specify default tax and shipping information in the Merchant Center, and then override those defaults for certain products by specifying the attributes below.

You are required to use one of the ways above to specify tax and shipping in the US, and only shipping information in the UK, Germany and France.

If you can’t provide accurate tax or shipping information, please provide estimates. For example, you can provide tax as well as shipping cost for each product and state individually by using the tax and shipping attributes. Please estimate tax and shipping costs such that the total cost in Product Search results is either correct or overestimated for the majority of users.

Comment

In GMC settings, tax and shipping for your state.

The most time consuming challenge will be setting the new google cats. If you do not have a extra_field you will need to eliminate something from your website to come up with one if you desire to list on Base.

The pains of being an early adapter
          Where is 3dcart on this? I have spent days in prep.
          Last edited by Go Live; 07-13-2011, 09:08 AM.
          Clayton
          Go Live Industries

Comment

Problem with Sale Price in Google Feed

If Sale Price is added to Google Feed, which definitely it should, since we want our lowest price to show up, then all sale prices are included in the feed, whether active (on sale),not active (not on sale), or 0.
            I believe this is a problem, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

I adjusted the feed to include everything they want but the biggest problem was adding the "sales" products. Every time I added them the feed brought in the "sales" products and left the rest out with some mundane error no matter what was in the field.

Left a zero in the field, tried nothing in the field, still the same problem. I'm just leaving it out for now until they fix it.
              David
              David's Gifts and Things

Wholesale Gifts, Home Decorating, Jewelry and More

Quality, Selection, Value Always

The more you buy the more you save!

Comment

There has always been a problem with total current / sale price. That is why discounts do not show up till checking out when doing promos.

I do hope that sale price for us google base fans does get fixed cause then we may all get promos that perform better for the rest of the store.

The store promos is about the only thing that I am unhappy with. Oh ya, and the new invisible save cart feature!
                Clayton
                Go Live Industries

Comment

Originally posted by Go Live View Post
                  The availability field will accept only the following entries:
                  • in stock
                  • out of stock
                  • available for order
                  • preorder

Field = constant
                  Alias = availability
                  Prefix = in stock
                  This will be displayed for all products
                  This is a dangerous game. Allow me to quote some information from this page.

2. Availability & Price

The attributes in this section are required in order to specify the availability and prices of your items. The availability and prices of your items can change quite frequently, and you need to make sure Google is notified of these changes as they happen. You can find advice on providing the most up-to-date or fresh data here.

We regularly check these attributes, and if the values provided in these attributes are found to be different from the information presented on your website, we will remove all your items from Product Search. Please see our policies for more details.
                  Emphasis mine.
                  Webmaster: Texas Media Systems

Comment

"3dcart does not support this but can be done manually using:
                    Field = constant
                    Alias = availability
                    Prefix = in stock
                    This will be displayed for all products"

Maybe 3D should start to support this. They have the time since they ignore the email problems.
                    David
                    David's Gifts and Things

Wholesale Gifts, Home Decorating, Jewelry and More

Quality, Selection, Value Always

The more you buy the more you save!

Comment

GMC "Death Penalty"

Pay attention to the shipping amount as well. We charge shipping by order TOTAL with free shipping starting at an order total of 49.01. We need to use extra field 2 to input the shipping price for ONLY that listing.

Since Google has instituted the death penalty (yer outta here permanently) for too many infractions we need to use extra field 1 for the actual base price for a picture that will not develop to the current 8x10 base size. The next size up is 8x12 and is a dollar more so we're guilty of submitting 10.99 for an item that shows as 11.99. This gets even more egregious for canvas art.

We're going through all of Google's links in that announcement with a fine tooth comb to make our to-do list.

That "death penalty" is a real motivator!
                      Last edited by g1gallery; 08-01-2011, 11:15 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

google_product_category

I think the hardest change to implement (well, besides making sure availability is correct with extreme vigilance) will be the Google Product Category.

Get ready to learn and implement a new taxonomy! Bonus points: categories aren't id based (such as in eBay). E.g.; typing out "Animals > Pet Supplies > Bird Supplies > Bird Food" instead of "122293."

Right now I'm considering making hidden categories in 3dcart that match the Google Product Category taxonomy, but don't know if that will be sufficient given that my normal categories will appear in the generated feed as well... Or I guess just start using extra_field_10....

Comment

google_product_category: UPDATE

The custom export set for Google that 3dcart has by default is a field called "top_category." This field returns the first and highest category heading that you've created for your own menu categories... at least I thought so.

I tried creating a category that was a google_product_category: "Cameras & Optics > Cameras > Video Cameras" ... all as one category heading, not a category nested into the other nested into a third. I put this category first in my category sorting. After marking an item with this category, I tried to export a product feed twice: once with the category hidden (so it doesn't show up in my front-end navigation) and one with it revealed. Neither .csv file included "Cameras & Optics > Cameras > Video Cameras" as the top_category.

3dcart Admins, how does top_category work exactly?

3dcart Users, anyone want to troubleshoot this with me? google_product_category is about to be a required field.

Comment

@TMS Clint, note that the 3dcart Google Feed does not reflect the changes you make until you completely close your browser and open it again.
                            This drove me crazy. Clicking clear cache, or save changes on store laguages did not do it. Only closing and re-opening the bowser made the changes show in in the CSV feed.
                            Hopefully your work-around works as it will save us tons of work.

However if you only have one GMC category you can open the CSV in Excel change the category column to whatever you want then save and upload manually from GMC. The problem is when there are many GMC category in the file. Sorting through them would take forever.

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                              Thanks guys for the update.

I hope 3d gives Google feed a face-lift. First we need the friendly URLs sent instead of the product.asp?xxx urls., add missing fields mentioned above and in other posts, and implement the promised auto-generate feature.
                              The friendly URL's have been available since we started on 3d, you just have to activate them under Modules and enter them in the Meta Tags tab for each product.

If you go this route, be sure to hit the "Update File Names" button after making any changes to URL's.
                              Keith

Comment

Working...
                              X