Google Base - Hope this Helps if You are New to 3dCart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Base - Hope this Helps if You are New to 3dCart

I have spent all day trying to figure out how to upload a feed to Google Base where the products would actually go through. I still have some warnings about tax, shipping, and other suggested attributes - but FINALLY my products are going through. So after piecing together several threads on here about the issue this is what I came up with to get my products uploaded:

1) Go to Marketing > Shopping Engines > Google Product Search
    2) Click on "Customize" in the top right hand corner
    3) Change the Category Separator to "-" and change the Delimiter to "Tab Delimiter" and then "Save Changes"
    4) Hit the "Back" button and then hit "Generate Feed"
    5) A new window will open - click on the option to export file
    6) Another new window will open with your data - save it as a .txt file
    7) Open this file in Excel and choose Delimited > Tab > General when prompted
    8) If you have any fields with no data (such as brand) delete that whole field (this was a major problem that was keeping my products from going through to Google)
    9) Change the date format by right clicking at the top of the date column and choosing Formating Cells > Custom. You will then need to paste this YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss under "Type" on the line where it says "General" (this is the date format Google wants and I didn't see it as an option in my Excel - so that is why I copied and pasted it)
    10) Add a new column titled "Availiability" and then for each product put "in stock" (supposedly this can also be done in the Admin area of your cart by going under "Customize" and then adding the field, but it didn't show up for me so this is something I will have to figure out)
    11) Save this file as a Tab Delimited .txt file and manually upload it to your Google Merchant Center under the Data Feed section

After doing the above steps my items are now uploaded to Google Base and waiting approval. I still have some things to optimize and fix but I am just happy I got this far. Hopefully I didn't forget any steps and this will help out another complete novice that might be struggling with this like I was.

Thank you! I have been struggling also. I am going to follow your instructions and cross my fingers it works for me too.
    Marsha,

Comment

I always have to modify my feeds that are extracted from 3dcart. I am Never able to get that uploaded from the admin panel. Google base and 3dcart attributes conflict.

I stopped calling customer service about it and now just modify feed every 3-4 weeks.

I am curious if the Go-Data feed plugin actually works under automation. It should be FREE Since the 3dcart one doesn't work correctly.

Well at least it keeps me busy with Data from my customers. :)
      Want 1000 Facebook Likes or Shares? G+1? Tweets? 3Dcart Design and Tweaking - Product Data Solutions - Custom Excel Upload Sheets - SEO Services - FREE Blog Hosting.

Comment

Your going through an awful lot of work after the fact.
        You add the fields in the feed build and title them from there.

You don't need the date field at all. Products run 30 day naturally.

You make no mention of using the extra fields in the product template that you have to use for Google's taxonomy.

You ftp the file to your computer to open it in Excel. Win7 doesn't generally play nice with pulling the file from 3D's screen directly.

Brand is required unless it's apparel.

While trying to help people is nice you have to get it right or your just going to mess people up.

I've set many of these up for people and if yours gets approved I'd be shocked.

Products Feed Specification - Google Merchant Center Help

Originally posted by giftlady View Post
        I have spent all day trying to figure out how to upload a feed to Google Base where the products would actually go through. I still have some warnings about tax, shipping, and other suggested attributes - but FINALLY my products are going through. So after piecing together several threads on here about the issue this is what I came up with to get my products uploaded:

1) Go to Marketing > Shopping Engines > Google Product Search
        2) Click on "Customize" in the top right hand corner
        3) Change the Category Separator to "-" and change the Delimiter to "Tab Delimiter" and then "Save Changes"
        4) Hit the "Back" button and then hit "Generate Feed"
        5) A new window will open - click on the option to export file
        6) Another new window will open with your data - save it as a .txt file
        7) Open this file in Excel and choose Delimited > Tab > General when prompted
        8) If you have any fields with no data (such as brand) delete that whole field (this was a major problem that was keeping my products from going through to Google)
        9) Change the date format by right clicking at the top of the date column and choosing Formating Cells > Custom. You will then need to paste this YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss under "Type" on the line where it says "General" (this is the date format Google wants and I didn't see it as an option in my Excel - so that is why I copied and pasted it)
        10) Add a new column titled "Availiability" and then for each product put "in stock" (supposedly this can also be done in the Admin area of your cart by going under "Customize" and then adding the field, but it didn't show up for me so this is something I will have to figure out)
        11) Save this file as a Tab Delimited .txt file and manually upload it to your Google Merchant Center under the Data Feed section

After doing the above steps my items are now uploaded to Google Base and waiting approval. I still have some things to optimize and fix but I am just happy I got this far. Hopefully I didn't forget any steps and this will help out another complete novice that might be struggling with this like I was.
        David
        David's Gifts and Things

Wholesale Gifts, Home Decorating, Jewelry and More

Quality, Selection, Value Always

The more you buy the more you save!

Comment

Advanced Product Options

We are making a custom export template for the google product feed. The ID field from product inventory table needs to be the ID for the product template export. How have other people dealt with the fact that Google needs a different id for each size option for apparel items? For instance if tshirt A is ID 300 and it comes in small/Medium/Large (300-100, 300-200, 300-300), how do I get it to export all three option ID's instead of just the parent ID of 300?

Comment

Hi David, thanks for the feedback. I responded under you in red.

Originally posted by InsnWizard View Post
            Your going through an awful lot of work after the fact.

Not fully sure what you mean by this. I am guessing you are referring to the two things you mention next.

You add the fields in the feed build and title them from there.

If you are referring to doing this in the admin area of 3dcart, I tried to do this and it didn't show up. I will have to work harder to figure this out.

You don't need the date field at all. Products run 30 day naturally.

It just took a minute to do this. When I tried taking the date out it recommended it so that is why I went this route.

You make no mention of using the extra fields in the product template that you have to use for Google's taxonomy.

My product is gift baskets, there is really no category that fits this. I believe I found a category for food gift baskets and spa gift baskets, but nothing for the other gift baskets I sell. As I understand it this is not necessary. From Google it says it is recommended, but not necessary unless you have certain products - I don't sell any of the products it is necessary to have this for.

You ftp the file to your computer to open it in Excel. Win7 doesn't generally play nice with pulling the file from 3D's screen directly.

Didn't know this - I don't use Win7.

Brand is required unless it's apparel.

Recommended, not required. I don't have a brand. Google's warning states under missing attribute "Brand": "While items missing recommended attributes will process successfully, we recommend including relevant attributes if they are available."

While trying to help people is nice you have to get it right or your just going to mess people up.

Would love to have someone who knows more about this give a better step-by-step breakdown of what needs to be done. My understanding is that you help people do this for a fee, if anyone would like to do this for free it would be great. I am just a newbie trying to help, an experienced person would be much better at properly explaining this.

I've set many of these up for people and if yours gets approved I'd be shocked.

All items are approved and I am getting clicks. Thanks.

Products Feed Specification - Google Merchant Center Help

Thanks for providing this link.
            Last edited by giftlady; 03-27-2012, 05:34 PM.

Comment

I don't help them, I build it and all they have to do is maintain it. I charge for it because I build the feed and include any extra information that needs to be added to the product. Code the product pages so the extra information does not show up for the customer to see.
              Submit it to Google and make any changes that seem to be needed. All my feeds have all the "recommended" fields. Recommended in Googles world means were going to require it so prepare now.

"While trying to help people is nice you have to get it right or your just going to mess people up.

Would love to have someone who knows more about this give a better step-by-step breakdown of what needs to be done. My understanding is that you help people do this for a fee, if anyone would like to do this for free it would be great. I am just a newbie trying to help, an experienced person would be much better at properly explaining this."
              David
              David's Gifts and Things

Comment

Google only requires Brand for Apparel & few other categories. Maybe that's what was meant to be said. Also, I'm using Win 7 & the feed works fine.

I would add that you should keep in mind that you may need to change your image field, depending on whether you're hosting images internally or externally. There are also a field or two that does need to be added & the stock field should be labeled "availability", etc.

Customer service has always been really helpful helping me get this set up so that it's automated.

Comment

All those words in a dead thread to really explain nothing important.
                  David
                  David's Gifts and Things

Comment

Google Base feed availability

anyone know how to add the availability to the 3dCart automated feed generator? Can not figure this out need to show if its in stock or out of stock automatically when updating the feed
                    http://www.epicmoviecostumes.com

Comment

Originally posted by kopetski7 View Post
                      anyone know how to add the availability to the 3dCart automated feed generator? Can not figure this out need to show if its in stock or out of stock automatically when updating the feed

I was just looking at that today - you are supposed to customize the feed and add the "stock" column. Change the header to "availability" for it. When the feed is generated it is supposed to translate to "In stock" or "Out of stock"

However for me this isn't work right now and it shows ALL items as In Stock. I have a support ticket open but no answer yet - anyone else run into this?

Comment

yeah that is what I tried too and had the same problem if anyone else has found a way to show the in stock, out of stock availability would love to know how!

Comment

Are you showing "out-of-stock" items in the store.
                          Are you filling in the "prefix" next to the stock for the feed. Don't fill that out.
                          Leave it blank.

I don't show out-of-stock items in the store so it always comes out right.
                          David
                          David's Gifts and Things

Comment

yeah we show out of stock items because we have the waiting list ... which is important in our industry. when I use the stock option in customize feeds section it just sets all of the stock as "In Stock" even the out of stock ones any idea how to make the out of stock ones show out of stock?

Thanks!

Comment

I'm having a hard time trying to get support to understand the problem, as usual. They told me to add a constant field with the prefix of "instock". I tested it just in case it was a special case but as expected it just adds the value "instock" to everything in the feed.

I'll report back if support gives me a different answer. But yeah, my catalog shows out of stock items too, because I like the waiting list feature.

Comment

Working...
                              X