Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tclifesafety
    replied
    @ScribeTime - please do - we're going to be doing the same shortly. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• ScribeTime
    replied
    Thanks cbsteven for your reply. I'm in the process of learning more about 3dcart's domain name change service (which I just learned about today). I'll try to remember to post what I end up doing in case anyone else needs to do the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• cbsteven
    replied
    I don't have much experience, but yes 301 redirects are what you want.

If you are going from supersite.com/product123.html to wondersite.org/productABC.htm then you just need a 301 redirect for "product123.html" to "productABC.htm". the domain part will take care of itself.

Leave a comment:

• ScribeTime
    started a topic Migrating store from one domain to a new domain

Migrating store from one domain to a new domain

Hello,

I'm in the process of rebranding my 3dcart store and changing my domain name. I have opened a new store and need to migrate most of my products on my existing store/domain to the new domain/store. I have prohibited search engines from crawling this new store via the robots.txt file to hopefully avoid duplicate content issues.

My goal is to preserve as much of my search engine rankings as possible and to not have the new domain sandboxed.

Has anyone else successfully accomplished this on a 3dcart hosted site (or anywhere else)? I have never attempted anything like this before and would definitely consider myself a newbie.

I understand that I need to do 301 redirects on a page by page basis and that I will need to notify Google from within Google's WebmasterTools.

I'm hoping that it's as easy as entering 301 redirects from within the admin area, but need to know for sure that this applies to redirects to a new domain name. If not, I need to know where information on these redirects should be submitted.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!
Working...
X