Informational pages not being picked up by google

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Informational pages not being picked up by google

Can anyone give me any advice on this? On my site, my products are hitting google shopping no problem.

My shop has been open since April. On the bottom footer I have probably over 60 additional info pages (that fall under extra pages) that list informational properties of the stones I use. I spent a lot of time adding this stuff so that google would like my store. And it's all unique content put together by me, nothing that would be penalized for duplicate content.

But when I do a search on google for "earthegy" my home page comes up, but nothing else from my store site. Google isn't finding any of my extra pages...not the testimonials, stone properties, nada. Zip. If I put the info on my wordpress blog google finds it within a few days.

At this point I feel like I should just remove or copy all the info onto my blog and have it point back to my store. Not even worried about duplicate content, since google isn't finding my store informational stuff anyway.

Frustrated....
    ~Chrisy
    earthegy

15% discount on all items in my shop for 3Dcart users with coupon code 3DCART

You should use Google Webmaster Tools to find out if these pages are indexed or not. If you aren't signed up for GWT then do it right away and make sure they have your sitemap submitted.

Comment

My site is submitted directly with google webmaster tools, and I have this message:

Sitemap contains urls which are blocked by robots.txt.....0 errors, 616 warnings. I'm guessing that has to do with my product pages because I don't have Manufacturer ID numbers, but I have an exemption for that from google because my stuff is all handcrafted.

It's telling me I have 724 pages submitted, 616 indexed. I have some 404 errors, but they look like products that have sold that are no longer available.
      ~Chrisy
      earthegy

Comment

Well that has nothing to do with your original question. You should be able to tell from GWT whether or not the informational pages are being picked up by Google or not, to answer the question you posted about.

And the index errors should have nothing to do with manufacturer part numbers. The webmaster tools index doesn't care about part numbers. That is just something that the Merchant Center cares about.

Comment

I can't find individual page info broken down anywhere on GWT....just the general info that my site is supposedly submitted and those are the only errors.
          ~Chrisy
          earthegy

Comment

You should go to Optimizations -> Sitemaps. Check for errors there. Then download the site map and see whether or not the pages in question are listed. If so, then Google has them.

Comment

"Sitemap contains urls which are blocked by robots.txt"
              Probably not, but this could have something to do with it. Find your robots.txt ( setting > General > Store Modules ) and post it here, it might be blocking your extra pages.

Comment

Under robots.txt:
                # Disallow all crawlers access to certain pages.

User-agent: *
                Disallow: /checkout.asp
                Disallow: /add_cart.asp
                Disallow: /view_cart.asp
                Disallow: /error.asp
                Disallow: /shipquote.asp
                Disallow: /rssfeed.asp
                Disallow: /mobile/

Under robots_ssl.txt:

# Disallow all crawlers access to certain pages. SSL

User-agent: *
                Disallow: /
                Disallow: /admin/

And now I have someone else telling me my info pages don't have H1 and H whatever tags. That's coding stuff I don't know how to do. My advanced meta tags are all filled out.

But take this example....last week I wrote a long article about Ancient Roman Glass and put it on it's own special page here:
                Ancient Roman Glass

But if you do a google search for "earthegy ancient roman glass" all you get are my product pages and category pages, and some stuff from my facebook page. Nothing at all from the whole separate informational page I put up.
                ~Chrisy
                earthegy

Comment

Again, download your sitemap and see if it references those pages. If it does then Google has indexed your page. The fact that it doesn't show up when you search on google is just a function of your Search Engine Optimization, which is a whole other field of study and you can spend many hours and many thousands of dollars trying to improve, since everyone is trying to get to the top of the results page.

Comment

Your Robots.txt looks fine.
                    The H1 tags may be important, although I have read that they are not as important as they used to be. Crawlers consider the size of the font these days instead of relying on the H tags to determine importance. Too many spammers abused the H tags that they are loosing credibility like metatags and Keywords. Google now studies the page content.

Doing a google search your Ancient Roman Glass showed up, so YES google is indexing your pages :)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Earthegy - if you're referring to the content on these pages, your issue isn't indexation; the pages are indexed in Google. Rather, it's likely an issue of relevancy.

Search Google for "Agate is a stone of confidence and clarity" - you'll see that you're being outranked by ePinions (which is a spam farm) and an Etsy store. In both cases, I believe it's your own content. Also notice that your site does display in SERP - this clearly indicates that your page is indexed as I said earlier.

So, you're effectively feeding content to higher-ranking competing sites. If you do that en masse, you'll never find your own site because it will be buried by your content on other sites.

Unfortunately, this is one of the consequences of participating in the shopping feed craze.
                      - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Working...
                      X