3D Cart and WordPress Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D Cart and WordPress Blog

We have chosen to use WordPress for our blog. We like the flexibility and functions. We are however, not optimized for SEO as we are splitting our traffic between blog (WP) and cart (3DC).
    Does anyone know a proven way to use both platforms (3D Cart and WP) and optimize SEO at the same time.
    Is there a better solution?

Thanks tons.

This is a very broad question. I chose the wordpress/3dcart for our store when converting to 3dcart. We are still implementing our wordpress and 3dcart solution.

1. Sub-Domain or Not. You will have to decide if you want to use a subdomain for your store/wordpress or a separate domain name. Some will indicate that having a separate domain name allows for a large number of links from your blog to your store. I chose the sub-domain route. I want all links coming to my blog and store to focus on one main domain. My set is with the store at Wedding Invitations, Wedding Favors and Wedding Ceremony Supplies: The Wedding Printer and the blog at blog.theweddingprinter.com.

2. Similar design. I believe the designs should be very similar. This has little to do with SEO, but for the customer experience. The customer should not notice when they move from the blog to the store and vice versa.

3. In the past, I have placed blog content within my store on various pages. You can only do this with javascript. This removes all SEO value. One of the features I would love 3dcart to provide is a simple include capability for text files. Then you could have blog content within category pages and receive the SEO value of the content. (has anyone ever figured out how to include a simple text file into the page content without javascript.)

4. You can display products on your blog. You have to use the RSS feeds and use a javascript tool to pull the feed and display your products. It would be a nice feature if you could do a remote search and receive a search rss feed in return. This would allow you to use the tags of a posting to customize the products shown on a blog page.

Is there a better solution? The only two options is to use 3dcarts blog or use a 3rd party. What is interesting is the 3dcart solution only bridges the domain and design issue. The itegration of blog content in the store is not something the 3dcart solution provides.

For this reason, I chose the wordpress solution. I wanted the best of breed for the blog. With Content and Social Media being so critical for SEO, I wanted wordpress for my blog. 3dcart will never exceed wordpress and should not try to. 3dcart should be focusing on the best of breed ecommerce store.

It is a little extra work when setting things up and for design activity, but the SEO value will be greater than using 3dcart article tool.

Setup the domain/blog.domain. Perform your SEO and treat both as one domain.

Jeff
    Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

jeff,

for your #3, have you considered writing it to an extra field via the API?

Comment

Are there extrafields for category pages?

I thought we just had header, footer and keywords to work with.

Hoping I missed something.
        Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

Jeff,
          I have a store on my main domain - osmium.com and a blog hosted on Word Press - blog.osmium.com. I have designed the two to be compatible. Because they exist on 2 different servers, Google will always treat them as two different sites. Therefore, I am splitting my SEO between 2 sites, something that I would rather not do.
          Is there a way that you have found around this?

Mark

Comment

I recently saw a video made by Google that stated they were no longer treating subdomains as separate sites. Their answer to subdomain vs. subdirectory wa sreally up to you....Either choice would not penalize you from an SEO perspective.
            Joanne Barker
            VS Web Design
            [email protected]

Comment

Examples of Great 3D Cart Blogs?

Does anyone know of any examples of blogs intergral with 3 D Cart sites that look great?

Thanks tons.

Mark Paigen

Comment

As Joanne indicated, Google does not consider subdomains to be separate websites. Work on Blog. helps www. and vice versa.

I use the 3dcart blog for my extra pages. (shipping, terms, etc.). For that use the tool is great. As a blog, it is not WordPress.

jeff
                Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

Question. How do you setup a subdomain of your domain on a different server. Would 3dcart set it up and do a re-direct?

Comment

Just create a hosting account (e.g. GoDaddy or somewhere with a domain blog.yourdomain.com) and then set up an A record on your name server pointing to the IP address of your hosting account.
                    Joanne Barker
                    VS Web Design
                    [email protected]

Comment

Still Looking for Great 3D Cart Blogs

There are definitely different opinions about whether a subdomain site splits Google rankings. I am still looking for examples of sites with good looking 3D Cart Blogs. Thanks to anyone with suggestions.

Mark

Comment

Thanks Joanne.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark P View Post
                          There are definitely different opinions about whether a subdomain site splits Google rankings. I am still looking for examples of sites with good looking 3D Cart Blogs. Thanks to anyone with suggestions.

Mark
                          Does it split the rankings. No. Source Google.
                          Is the preferred method to use a sub-folder. Yes, maybe, it depends.

There are advantages with using a subdomain. Additional listings per keywords is the largest. As a subfolder, you only get two listings per keyword per page. With a subdomain, you get 2 from the base and 2 from the subdomain.

Will you get better results using wordpress on a subdomain versus using 3dcart blog on a subfolder. My bet is yes. Your results may vary.

If you find any good 3dcart blogs, please let us know.
                          Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

I just posted in another thread a way to use 3Dcart and WordPress together. Hopefully it will give you an option if you want to use yourstore.com/blog.
                            http://forums.3dcart.com/new-feature...-offers-2.html

Comment

If you haven't seen this video yet from Matt Cutts at Google it might just answer your question in the first :30 seconds of which is better. Sub-domains or sub-directories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MswMYk05tk

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                              X