Duplicate Content: Category Pagination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duplicate Content: Category Pagination

In checking my site for duplicate content, both MOZ and Screaming Frog state they have found duplicate content.

With regards to categories, the pagination canconical link is incorrect, and causing them to be viewed as their own pages..... but with virtually duplicate content in the whole run of pages.

/cat-example is virtually the same (right to the <title> and Meta Desc as
    /cat-example_c_20-1-3.html

and

/cat-example_c_20-2-3.html
    /cat-example_c_20-3-3.html
    /cat-example_c_20-4-3.html

are all virtually identical except for "Page 2" etc in the <title>. The cat header and footer are also repeated over and over again. So 500 words of good text placed on /cat-example really is useless as it is also used on all the paginated pages. In the SE's mind, they all are different pages, but are virtually identical content wise.

The worst part of it is the canconical link on all the pagination pages is the paginated page url, not the category's root url. The can canconical link on all
    the paginated pages should be /cat-example, so that google knows all those pages tie back to the first page.

The other option is to implement rel="prev" and rel="next" in the head section of the pages. This also can be used by google to serve the same purpose as the canconical link.

Has anyone been able to cure this issue or a way to work around it?

I don't think any of my category paginated pages are indexed in google.

Is this because google has filtered them out as duplicate content?

or would the response header 3dcart throws when those pages are visited

Cache-Control: no-cache,no-store,no-store
    Pragma: no-cache

stop google from indexing these pages?

Granted if that's the case, google obviously isn't storing them. However, during the spidering process of the site, they are visiting them and finding what they see on the pages as duplicate content.

If you're using all custom file names, are any of you blocking _C_ in robots.txt so the paginated category pages aren't crawled?

Any thoughts on all of this?

(forgive me if this topic has been visited before)

According to Jimmy "It is working as designed" per his response to this topic: http://forums.3dcart.com/general-con...t-working.html

He provides a couple of work arounds that basically are "turn off pagination" and have all your products on one category page.

The best way to handle the situation is to implement the rel=next/rel=prev model. I do not think this is currently a feature.

The follow up question about
    Cache-Control: no-cache,no-store,no-store
    Pragma: no-cache
    These are cache control mechanisms for your browser. It tells the browser not to cache the page and always come back for new content when refresh is hit. Search Engines do not use these commands for indexing.

I personally do not prefer the current category page SEO properties for the reasons you listed.
    1. Category SEO content is used on all paginated pages. Inability to turn off category SEO content after page 1.
    2. No features for the rel=next/rel=prev options.

I have implemented Jimmy's recommended approach and all my category pages showing all products. This removes all pagination within the e-commerce store and therefore removes the issues.
    Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

Jeff, the solution you state is a workaround and unfortunately, bring along some other major drawbacks, the most important being slow pageloads and a poor browsing experience for the user.

Comment

Originally posted by wcsjohn View Post
        Jeff, the solution you state is a workaround and unfortunately, bring along some other major drawbacks, the most important being slow pageloads and a poor browsing experience for the user.
        Yes, a major work around as indicated in the description.

The page load speeds are primarily related to the images. I have overcome this limitation using a lazyloader for the images. Additionally, I utilize a CDN to move the images closer to the edge.

The key in life is to look at what others think are drawbacks and turn them into features.
        Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

In 6.2 these have both been overcome have they not?

"Category SEO content is used on all paginated pages. Inability to turn off category SEO content after page 1."

"No features for the rel=next/rel=prev options."

Comment

Originally posted by theblademan View Post
            In 6.2 these have both been overcome have they not?

"No features for the rel=next/rel=prev options."

The rel=next/rel=prev one is definitely fixed in 6.2. Not sure about the other one. I figure that Google is smart enough to figure it out and am not too concerned.

Comment

Ah, we're still on old templates right now. So when we finish our redesign, this should go away, right?

Comment

Actually I don't think it is template-dependent. It was auto-fixed on mine and I use my own templates. It is metadata inserted into your head tags. Load up a category page and view the source and look for 'rel'

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
                  Actually I don't think it is template-dependent. It was auto-fixed on mine and I use my own templates. It is metadata inserted into your head tags. Load up a category page and view the source and look for 'rel'
                  The only 'rel' I have in the head tags is for link rel="canonical"
                  Last edited by wcsjohn; 04-14-2014, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I believe if this [META] is in your frame template and you are on 6.2 you should be seeing the rel=prev/next in the head area on category pages.

There also is a new switch so that you can turn off the header and footer of the category page from appearing on all of the paginated pages as well.

Comment

Originally posted by theblademan View Post
                      I believe if this [META] is in your frame template and you are on 6.2 you should be seeing the rel=prev/next in the head area on category pages.

There also is a new switch so that you can turn off the header and footer of the category page from appearing on all of the paginated pages as well.
                      I'm on 6.2 and don't have the rel=prev/next in my header.

Comment

I just checked your site and it's there.

Check any Category Page that has more than 1 page.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy3dcart View Post
                          I just checked your site and it's there.

Check any Category Page that has more than 1 page.
                          Wow, yes it's there now. I also noticed a chance to the first page content not being shown the rest of the pages, which wasn't implemented yesterday, last time I checked. So I'm guessing I just got upgraded.

Comment

Working...
                          X