Our Google images got nuked...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Google images got nuked...

I usually check where our google images show up in their search. We were doing really good and when I checked today, they are all gone or so far down the stack that you won't see them. The only ones showing up are those from Pinterest.

We have not changed anything but 3Dcart did move us to a new server (I got an e-mail telling me we are on a new server and we need to update some FTP things). Would this have utterly destroyed Google indexing our images? Shouldn't the file structure have stayed the same?

Anyone else get that server change e-mail and have a similar issue? I am so frustrated!

Dana

Frustrating, but almost certainly a coincidence. IT should be easy to check if the image URL's are the same now as they were before. Sometimes Google just does things which negatively affect you...

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
      Frustrating, but almost certainly a coincidence. IT should be easy to check if the image URL's are the same now as they were before. Sometimes Google just does things which negatively affect you...

I just checked my webmaster tools and the sitemap was updated by Google on the same day I received the you've been changed to a new server e-mail from 3dcart.......yesterday! Thats pretty coincidental.

Other than that the only other thing I see that is weird is google is dinging me for duplicate meta tags for strange things it has never indexed before? I do not see how I can fix these two.....

/awareness-ribbon-colors.html?iframe=true&width=95%25&height=95%25
      /awareness-ribbon-colors.html?vm=r

Dana

Comment

Originally posted by Danab View Post
        I just checked my webmaster tools and the sitemap was updated by Google on the same day I received the you've been changed to a new server e-mail from 3dcart.......yesterday! Thats pretty coincidental.

Other than that the only other thing I see that is weird is google is dinging me for duplicate meta tags for strange things it has never indexed before? I do not see how I can fix these two.....

/awareness-ribbon-colors.html?iframe=true&width=95%25&height=95%25
        /awareness-ribbon-colors.html?vm=r

Dana
        The sitemap is updated almost every day, so no coincidence there. I think this is almost certainly just Google's random changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Danab View Post
          I usually check where our google images show up in their search. We were doing really good and when I checked today, they are all gone or so far down the stack that you won't see them. The only ones showing up are those from Pinterest.........

It is not unusual for items to disappear and reappear within Google's search results. This is very common when Google is updating or re-indexing one of their data centers. Give it a day or two and see if the info re-appears.

Remember that WMT is always several days to weeks old depending on which reports you are viewing.

It is great that a server move occurred and Google was able to pull a sitemap. That means google can access your site. You can do a quick test of one of your images by running the network portion of the chrome development tools. You are looking to see if there are any redirects or odd occurences when your website is loading.

My guess, without knowing anything about your site, much less your domain, is you caught google between loads. Let us know in a couple of days what the status is.
          Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I hesitate posting my website or pages here since every time I do I get an increase in spam and now Volusion keeps calling me and e-mailing me to switch from 3dcart. LOL I think they data mine this forum.

Our standard indexing is still looking good with pretty much all of our pages showing up. It is only the image search (when you click on the images tab in google) that has been affected. I sell jewelry so the image search is pretty useful in generating traffic.

According to what I've read online, its happened to other folks on other platforms when google can't access the image files. I'm hoping that google was indexing the site at the exact same time they were moving us to a different server. Pingdom says we were only down for 5 minutes so its not like the outage was that long.

I did an image site search in google (with site: in front of the domain) and they are showing up there. If you do a normal google search for our business name Dana Rae Jewelry, only a few show up and most are from Pinterest (just last week or so we had many, many more). So I am guessing the image files were down while we were moved and then google downranked all of them since they could not access them?

"You can do a quick test of one of your images by running the network portion of the chrome development tools. You are looking to see if there are any redirects or odd occurences when your website is loading." I'll try this suggestion later today and let you know what I find out.

Dana
            Last edited by Danab; 03-08-2014, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X