Meta Tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meta Tags

Got a question about Meta Tags. In the Meta Tag area, there's the Description, Abstract, and then meta Keywords. I've heard that Google doesn't really use the Meta Keywords. Does anyone know if this is true? Should a person just focus on one or the other Abstract or Description? or Both?

Meta

I complete all of those areas. You can "cheat" in creating them by using code. EX: <meta name ="description" content="[title]"> <meta name="abstract" content="[description]"> Of course you need to fill out a good, keyword rich title and short description first. Then, fill out the keywords section using most of the keywords used in the title and short description, plus other keyword phrases that apply.

I think it is more important that you complete your category and subcategory meta first. That has helped me a lot. Review it every few months for tweaking.

Comment

Latest from the SEO in the know is that meta tags are pretty much ignored these days. They do help how you present your content though, so more of a user experience than an SEO thing.

Comment

Probably the definitive answer here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB_YsUp50-w

Comment

I do not use the keyword meta tag any longer. Stopped years ago. In doing so you're actually giving your competitors info on the keywords you are targeting as well.

Comment

Great idea....... but <meta name ="description" content="[title]"> <meta name="abstract" content="[description]"> does not work.

The variables are not parsed within the meta tag area.

Comment

Meta

blademan, <meta name ="description" content="[title]"> <meta name="abstract" content="[description]"> does work. I use it all the time. If you don't have your title and short description, it will not find them.

I have filled in the meta in all areas. It has helped me greatly, especially in organic search. Organic search accounts for 50%+ of my sales. Since filling in these areas and tweaking them regularly, my sales have taken off nicely. I do not think it is coincidence. It has doubled my sales and my average sale amount over this year.

Comment

Originally posted by celebra1 View Post
                I have filled in the meta in all areas. It has helped me greatly, especially in organic search. Organic search accounts for 50%+ of my sales. Since filling in these areas and tweaking them regularly, my sales have taken off nicely. I do not think it is coincidence. It has doubled my sales and my average sale amount over this year.
                As mentioned above, these areas are critical from from a user perspective. The Title and Description is what the user sees on a search result page.

The Title and Description are critical for getting the potential customers attention and corresponding click.

Google does track clicks and bounce back rate. The better crafted titles and descriptions reduces your bounce back rate. The lower your bounce back rate, the higher quality google considers your page, the higher you rank.

Don't expect overnight changes, but a consistent effort to work on these two elements will increase your sales and your rankings.

It is merchandising your website. It is long and boring hours, but will pay off if you invest your time. No Quick fixes here.
                Jeff

The Wedding Printer

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I know the "Description" works but I didn't know about the other two. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X