301 redirect to category page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 301 redirect to category page?

Is it considered "bad SEO" to use 301 redirects to redirect from discontinued product pages to a product category page? The idea is that rather than have a customer land on a page for a discontinued product, they would instead be redirected to a category page of similar items where they could select something similar to the item that they were looking for.

FOr example - a customer clicks a Google link for a discontinued product page: Ceramic Bead (green) - discontinued

Instead of landing on this discontinued product page they are redirected to a category page : Ceramic Beads

Which contains items like: Ceramic Bead (blue), ceramic bead (red), ceramic bead (gray), ceramic bead (teal)

This is an over simplifed example, but I think it gets the point across. I like the idea of doing it this way because the shopper isn't just stranded on a product page for an item that can't be ordered. Instead, he's presented with options that are at least similar to the one he's looking for.

What I'm not sure about is the SEO impact of doing this. The landing page won't be the same as the one Google has indexed for the link. If you have numerous discontinued products within a category, doing this would result in a bunch of disparate links all being redirected to the same link.

Does anyone know if this will cause an issue with SEO? Some of our discontinued items have decent rankings, so I don't want to do anything that will negatively impact their standing.

I think this is about the best you can do, short of doing a 301 redirect to a substitute product. I do the 'redirect to a category page' strategy myself.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. So you haven't noticed any negative SEO impact to redirecting a bunch of product pages to one category page then?

I thought about redirecting to the replacement product page, but I don't want the customer to think he's ordering something different from what he actually is. In some cases, the differences are very minor.

Comment

Working...
      X