How to fix IP Canonicalization ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix IP Canonicalization ?

I thought by having it checked off in my 3dcart amin setting to enable "Enable Canonical URLs", that this issue of IP Canonicalization would not exist. However, after checking my site in another webtool its stating it's not "ON" and states the following: " Be careful you IP is not forwarding your website's domain name. Search engines like Goolge are now able to index your website with its IP instead of its domain name. This will result in duplicate content. You should do an htaccess 301 redirect to make sure the IP doesn't get indexed."- Can this be fixed within the 3dcart setting or will a web developer/designer need to access my account via ftp file and set up a 301 redirect?

URL Canonicalization is different than IP canonicalization (which I have never heard of til just now)
    I checked my site with this tool and it passed.

What is your site URL?

Comment

Well I wondered if they were considered different...may I ask if you website was custom designed by the design/development team at 3dcart? My was and I just assumed something like this even if not included in the admin setting would have been set up correctly within the design/coding itself - beheresoon.com is my website. Also, what tool did you use to check out your website in?

Thanks!

Comment

P.S. I saw your tool in the link when I read the post again. Of course mine does not past, but glad yours does. Now, how to fix? I sent in a support ticket at 3dcart, but wondering if they will fix it which I feel they should since I just they did the custom design installation itself and only a month ago.

Comment

The design has nothing to do with this. It has to do with the IP address of the server and what domain name it points to. Support should be able to fix this.

Comment

Thanks, I'm learning today. Carlos in support got back to me and is stating I don't need to worry about this since I have my own SSL certificate and Google will resolve etc. . My next stop is over Google webmaster tools fourm...any other thoughts?

Comment

Great tool... I noticed that my URL www.thefarmbertuccios.com passes but thefarmbertuccios.com does not pass. Should I add a 301 redirect or should I be doing something else to correct this?
              Joanne Barker
              VS Web Design
              [email protected]

Comment

I don't think there is a way for you to fix it yourself, support would need to do it for you. Carlos might not understand the problem either. I don't know if it is something worth fighting with support over, since I have never heard of IP Canonicalization until this post.

Comment

Well, it looks like if a website does not have IP Canonicalization rendering correctly then one could have a "duplicate content" issue with search engines occurring and that's why I see this as being important. I posted over at Google's webmaster tools forum and received a bit more help. I personally think 3dcart should be looking into it.

P.S. Here's a quote from someone else about IP Canonicalization
                  "It’s a mouthful, but IP canonicalization is another critical step to good website SEO. Like www resolve, IP canonicalization can result in search engines registering duplicate content. It happens when your site’s IP address (which appears as a string of numbers) doesn’t redirect to its traditional URL. IP canonicalization can be a fairly easy SEO problem to overlook, as many of us don’t think to type in a site’s IP address instead of its URL. This is easily fixed much in the same way as www resolve." -Atticusi
                  Last edited by behere; 11-26-2012, 10:21 PM.

Comment

The issue of a website being browsed via the IP address or even a third party domain name cloaking your IP to display your content under a different domain name is not a new issue.

Presenting it as IP canonicalization is definitely a new term, but we've been aware of the potential problems that this could cause to a website.

3dcart addressed this issue long time ago, all you need to do is enable the "Domain URL Redirect" setting under SETTINGS > GENERAL > STORE MODULES.

Jimmy

Comment

Thanks Jimmy! I actually checked this box of yesterday not knowing for sure if it would make a difference. Also, looked through the lovely knowledge base articles for info there before I submitted a ticket etc. and couldn't find any mention of it at the "knowledge base". My only other thought is if a 3dcart customer had their website "designed/installed" directly by 3dcart this would be a good thing for the 3dcart development person/dept. working on the website to check off (maybe there are cases were someone doesn't want it check off, but then ask 3dcart customer. Again, thank you for following up here on this!

Comment

Checking that box did indeed allow my site to pass (both Portal Home - DomainName, Inc. and domainname.com) using the tool linked to above. Thanks, Jimmy!
                        Joanne Barker
                        VS Web Design
                        [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                        X