Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many people are using Custom URL's instead of the stock 3dcart URLS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many people are using Custom URL's instead of the stock 3dcart URLS?

I have been working really hard this summer to beef up our SEO and recover some of the lost traffic we have had since coming over from Big commerce. One thing I do not get is why 3dcart has not built in SEO friendly Url creation when we create any thing that builds a new url. I guess I am spoiled because Bigcommerce did this automatically. It also created a 301 redirect instantly if you did change the url for any reason.

all the parts to do this seem to be already present here on 3dcart, it seems like a few hours of coding could have our stores producing SEO friendly URL as we create products, Categories, and other pages. I begged them to keep my URLs from bigcommerce, it wasnt like there was a whole lot of difference between the layout minus that BC would use
    Forcedfabllc.com/product/Perrin-Oil-Cooler-Kit-Subaru-2015-Subaru-WRX.html

Where 3dcart creates

ForcedFabllc.com/Perrin-Oil-Cooler-Kit-Subaru-2015-Subaru-WRX_p_8463.html

To me it seems this sort of url could be created without the need for the 8463 crap being there. I get that it creates a 3dcart category ID , but we as shop owners will never really use that. I think its mostly for the system to use that not customers or shop owners so why display it for us? The URL would be so much better if it just used the title and .html

The category URL creation is even worse.

I guess i am just ranting because I find my self rebuilding a good chunk of our URLs and having to make my own custom URL for every new product from here out to avoid having that cat ID included.

The biggest "plus" in utilizing custom URLs is portability. If you ever need to change servers, it is easy to do redirects!

Comment

I use custom URLs for our category pages, and some of our top products. But leave most of the products with the ones 3dcart makes. I dont think google cares, and there is some advantage I think.

Keep in mind that:

http://www.forcedfabllc.com/Perrin-Oil-Cooler-Kit-Subaru-2015-Subaru-WRX_p_8463.html

and

http://www.forcedfabllc.com/anything_p_8463.html

are the same link to 3dcart. So in some ways it might be helpful if you change the name of your products often. (Probably rare)

Another thought if you want short URL's is to use bit.ly custom domain shortener. If you have an extra shorter version of your domain name.

We use nmtea.co as our domain shortener. So for sending links to twitter and things it would look like this:

nmtea.co/1eLXSai

instead of

http://www.nmteaco.com/Jasmine-Pearls_p_169.html

Comment

Same here. Just came over from BC and was not thrilled with the URL structure. Changed most of them.

Comment

ForcedFabllc and IslandJay .. if you don't mind me asking, and I know this doesn't help your thread, is there a reason why you came over to 3d from BC? I am not asking in an antagonizing way.. I am just curious.. and the more information that is out there, the better this may be for those who are on 3d and thinking about leaving, those on BC, and looking to switch, and those who are looking for a shopping cart, and could benefit from some experienced sellers. I looked at BC way back when, and decided that 3d was for me based on the functionality that was available out of the box, and at that time. This was 3+ years ago, so things have changed. I know someone who is on BC as of April, and they are beyond miserable, and ready to leave - it has only been 6 months of operating after 9 months of development. Any / all information is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andrew
          Last edited by massagestore; 10-03-2015, 05:56 PM.

Comment

massagestore No problem.
            BC really is a nice platform. In many ways better than 3DC. 3DC has it's perks. I stuck with BC for almost a year before I left, but not without serious reasons. If there is a problem, I can deal with that. Report it, resolve it, life goes on.
            1. Support is a hit or miss. I had several support tickets open for situation that were preventing customers from checking out or adding items to cart. When they were not taking care of these problems, which they could actually duplicate but not give a reason, that tells me it is time to move on.
            2. They crashed several months back. My site went down for 5 days. Everyone found out then that they had no redundancy or backups of anything. Scary and stressful.
            3. They did not comp anyone for the down time. No free nothing. I even asked the VP of customer support Paul V. to upgrade my account to the $200/mo plan from my pan right below it for a few days to see if I would like the new features. He passed the buck and the "buck" told me no.
            4. My freelance coder was a 3DC expert and knew the platform.

It really was a 50/50 shot to jump on board with Volusion. In the end it was the $$ and what you get in the end that lead me to 3DC. I would say I am 90% happy with 3DC and I would home to see that jump to 95% soon when some things are taken care of. For a prebuilt platform, that is good.

Feel free to ask any other questions.

Jason

Comment

Thanks IslandJay .. I appreciate your candor, and I truly think a thread should be generated for 3dCart to see why people came here, what they want / don't like, and why they are considering leaving would be beneficial. Just recently, there was a 3d blog post about the companies commitment to a higher level of technical support, customer service, and responsiveness to the forum posts as evidenced here: http://www.3dcart.com/blog/experienc...nical-support/under the leadership of Walter Quin. I had never heard this mans name before reading said post, but was encouraged by what they had to say. Recently, I had made mention of a questionable interaction I had with a tech support agent, and Henry was all over it. They wanted to pull the tapes, listen to my conversation with said agent, and I received a lengthy email addressing my concerns. I felt heard, that my concerns were valid, and that I was in partnership with 3d vs being in competition with them. If this is an indicator of where they are now, and where they want to go, then the more information they have to adjust course.. the better IMHO. I am not talking about opening a 3dCart bashing thread.. to the contrary.. I am talking about opening a thread where 3d can learn more about what is needed by its customer base. That said, I hope that many would participate.. especially those who historically haven't. Perhaps, 3d can send a system wide email encouraging people to participate in the forums. That would be a nice change vs the thread I have seen where people are upset about seeing 'commercials' in their admin. Just my $0.01 (after taxes, fees, and monthly subscription costs). Andrew
              Last edited by 3dcart-Henry; 07-10-2018, 01:42 PM.

Comment

No problem. I am an easy going guy, but I can be blunt with the truth and opinion. I have been involved with ecommerce since 1997. I have seen the changes. The good ideas and the bad ideas.

My only hiccup with 3dc support is this.
                1. It takes too long to resolve tech issues that are heavy. I have some cases going on 3+ weeks where I discovered glitches. No updates unless I ask and I am only told "they are working on it".
                2. First level of support is typically good but basic. I spent 40 minutes on a chat support once to convince someone that I had a problem with uploading images into my product. It was only after giving them permission to do it themselves to my site did they see the error.

Overall, I am happy, especially with Jimmy the Coo, whom has helped me out with getting a few tech heavy things straightened out.

Comment

There's a lot of advantages to using the "friendly url's". Almost all (all?) CMS' have this feature.

Portability is a huge win when using friendly urls. It allows you to migrate your site to another platform and just re-setup the friendly url mappings and all of your old links continue to work. If you don't, then you will loose traffic due to broken/dead links, and search engines frown upon a huge number of 404 links suddenly. Think about people who favorite a page, or link to it from off-site... you don't want those URL's changing on them.

There is also some thought that key-word stuffed URL's are better for SEO purposes, when compared to weirdly formatted and truncated systems generated links... ex:

http://www.forcedfabllc.com/audio-video_c_17386.html

vs

http://www.forcedfabllc.com/audio-video-electronics.html

I'm not sure how much that matters really, but it can't hurt. And if/when you go to migrate to another ecommerce provider, "/audio-video-electronics.html" becomes your standard link to that category.. so just re-setup your friendly urls, and things just work.

The search engines don't care what the URL is, but they do care if it changes and/or points to invalid pages, etc.

> are the same link to 3dcart. So in some ways it might be helpful if you change the name of your products often

Definitely don't do this, unless you create the appropriate 301 redirect to the old page's URL. Search engines like pages with "clout", and constantly changing the name (and therefore the URL) to a product will work against you (makes it look like a new page with duplicate content to the search engines). If you do change the name (and therefore the URL), you need to setup the redirect for all references to the old link so that they point to the new URL.

Regarding the use of URL Shorteners as per NMTEACO said, be careful... Bitly was caught recently tagging all shortened url traffic with their own Amazon affiliate link, essentially changing every link your customers click into a tagged Amazon Affiliate session for Bitly. Others have been known to do similar.

http://www.thesempost.com/bit-ly-vig...ortened-links/
                  Last edited by Alupis; 10-05-2015, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Actually according to my MOZ account Google does care BUT I'm seeing that rewriting my meta-titles (products and categories) based on MOZ recommendations and adding meta-descriptions is being helpful in SEO as well as removing duplicate titles

Comment

Originally posted by massagestore View Post
                      ForcedFabllc and IslandJay .. if you don't mind me asking, and I know this doesn't help your thread, is there a reason why you came over to 3d from BC? I am not asking in an antagonizing way.. I am just curious.. and the more information that is out there, the better this may be for those who are on 3d and thinking about leaving, those on BC, and looking to switch, and those who are looking for a shopping cart, and could benefit from some experienced sellers. I looked at BC way back when, and decided that 3d was for me based on the functionality that was available out of the box, and at that time. This was 3+ years ago, so things have changed. I know someone who is on BC as of April, and they are beyond miserable, and ready to leave - it has only been 6 months of operating after 9 months of development. Any / all information is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Andrew
                      I was thrown off BC by the CEO. I asked and pestered them about to many broken features. I also started raising questions about fraudlent actions when setting up new features and marketing the crap out of them getting them a large influx of new customers, but the features would not be released or when they were they were only availible to the newly made enterprise levels. They seems to be doing slow beta roll outs to most of the stores and as soon as we gave them feed back they punished us for it, and then made the changes if they did. Then they set those features out of our reach unless we wanted to upgrade to a larger plan, we were already on the highest plan under enterprise.

We also called them out on basic things they broke every time a staff member decided to play with things that were not wanted to be changed. They got sick of me and a handful of others that showed we were vocal and we were all booted around the same few months time. most went on to other carts. My self and Charlie landed here. others went to shopify or sparkpay. I sort of regret me move here, but mostly because they killed my store with a screwed up migration. They gave me free trial of the enterprise SEO package, but so far that seems to be pretty much a joke of a service. I have lost 50-70% of my traffic and 90% of my sales since the move. My store is nearly dead. I was doing 6 figures now Ill be lucky if I pay my costs off this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Alupis View Post
                        There's a lot of advantages to using the "friendly url's". Almost all (all?) CMS' have this feature.

Portability is a huge win when using friendly urls. It allows you to migrate your site to another platform and just re-setup the friendly url mappings and all of your old links continue to work. If you don't, then you will loose traffic due to broken/dead links, and search engines frown upon a huge number of 404 links suddenly. Think about people who favorite a page, or link to it from off-site... you don't want those URL's changing on them.

There is also some thought that key-word stuffed URL's are better for SEO purposes, when compared to weirdly formatted and truncated systems generated links... ex:

http://www.forcedfabllc.com/audio-video_c_17386.html

vs

http://www.forcedfabllc.com/audio-video-electronics.html

I'm not sure how much that matters really, but it can't hurt. And if/when you go to migrate to another ecommerce provider, "/audio-video-electronics.html" becomes your standard link to that category.. so just re-setup your friendly urls, and things just work.

The search engines don't care what the URL is, but they do care if it changes and/or points to invalid pages, etc.

> are the same link to 3dcart. So in some ways it might be helpful if you change the name of your products often

Definitely don't do this, unless you create the appropriate 301 redirect to the old page's URL. Search engines like pages with "clout", and constantly changing the name (and therefore the URL) to a product will work against you (makes it look like a new page with duplicate content to the search engines). If you do change the name (and therefore the URL), you need to setup the redirect for all references to the old link so that they point to the new URL.

Regarding the use of URL Shorteners as per NMTEACO said, be careful... Bitly was caught recently tagging all shortened url traffic with their own Amazon affiliate link, essentially changing every link your customers click into a tagged Amazon Affiliate session for Bitly. Others have been known to do similar.

http://www.thesempost.com/bit-ly-vig...ortened-links/

I am worried about the way they structure the sites...

I renamed a lot of url's lately , a ton of category ones in hoped to help SEO,. I also am adding content to those pages to describe the categories. I noticed that if I rename the category URL

http://www.forcedfabllc.com/CCS-Autoselect.html Then I goto a second or third page of the category it goes back to being the 3dcart random URL. this really erks me.

CCS-Autoselect_bymfg_460-3-2.html but page 2 reverts to the old url. I really dont want to have to go and rename every url , besides I dont think we even have access to those other page URLS.

There seems to be no logical structure for URLS no way to have heierchy from category to sub./sub./sub / product url. The manufactures are even worse. The way BC and most carts handle manufacutures / brands is to have a section for them so you can goto forcedfabllc.com/manufacturer/CCS-Autoselect.html then if you wanted to you could shop by a manufactures page, but 3dcart treats these as their own inddivual URLS, The thing that really pisses me off is that I can not export the manufactures and work on them off line. I have hundreds and every one was assigned a sorting number so placing in them in the MANF list in aplhabetical order is impossible, having them all shown on a single shop able page impossible.

Comment

I would NEVER let an ecommerce hosting company do the migration. I'm working on my site since 3 month now. Imagine if they can do the same job in a week or so what kind of work you get.
                          Peter

Comment

Agreed, peterz. I, too, would never trust a site move to anyone other than myself. It took me 3 months to move a 140 product site and all of its blog and resource articles. I had a list of more than 50 things to do in addition to importing products and images. There are a TON of things that need to be done and there is absolutely no way that anyone working for a shopping cart understands all of those things or would even know to do them.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott McKirahan View Post
                              Agreed, peterz. I, too, would never trust a site move to anyone other than myself. It took me 3 months to move a 140 product site and all of its blog and resource articles. I had a list of more than 50 things to do in addition to importing products and images. There are a TON of things that need to be done and there is absolutely no way that anyone working for a shopping cart understands all of those things or would even know to do them.
                              Why should they not understand them? They are the platform and should know it inside and out and how to move customers from one system to another. They should have tools built to handle data migration. Most carts do this as a specialized service to enterprise level customers.

They knew full well the scope of what I wanted done and made promises that they had all this stuff built out and ready to go when I paid them cash money. Only after They took my money did they completely disappear on me. The sales rep never once returned another email, phone call nothing. The rep handling the migration spoke to me once and then mysteriously was never in the office when I called nor returned any emails I sent. I signed a contract for services, As soon as they started playing games I should have walked away from 3dcart, but i was in a time bind as Big commerce had given me only 30 days to move or else they were going to completely delete my store whether or not we were moved. 3dcart was fully aware of the situation and had promised and agreed to move the site before the deadline. They did not even start on the migration until the day after our deadline was up at big commerce. i had luckily leveraged legal action against Big commerce buying us an additional 30 days. But 3dcart still drug their heels and made this the most miserable experience of my eccomerce life. We went from a store that should have grown to nearly 250K for 2015 with how were arching. But once we moved to 3dcart we maybe broke 50K in 2015....

The team at 3dcart built out a devloper store and left it freaking live for google to crawl and index next to our real store, but that developer store had bad pricing, and content. It did not have and robot.txt or no follow scripts. it was essentially a crappy mirror of our site and I have no doubt cost us heavily in duplicate content penalties. The entire process mishandled and showed that 3dcarts people only half ass cared about making sure they took care of their customers. I have been given freebies to make up for the crap. I was given 3months of enterprise SEO services that 3dcart sells for 800 a month. I am sorry , but that was a sad joke. Again my account was mishandled by the rep and he actually went in and wrecked some of the SEO work I had intentionally done to lay ground work for them. The rep showed me some sketchy keyword research that he based his seo work on and I had done my own research with professional grade tools and it showed nothing similar to his research. I dont know a lot about SEO, but I seemed to know more then the enterprise level rep working on it. I showed the plan and the work to some very highly regarded industry people and they could not believe they were trying to sell that at a price like that.

But nothing on this thread was even about that disaster. My gripe was that there is a flaw with how the system is setup. Manfacutres do not follow any sort of URL structure.

I could name a manufacturer to Forcedfabllc.com/Craftsman-tools.html and then when I goto page 2 of that brand i would get craftsman-tool_bymfg_460-3-2.html or some crap like that instead of
                              Forcedfabllc.com/craftsman-tools-pg2.html or some other URL that makes sense and follows a structure.

Comment

Working...
                              X