Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ALT tag configuration

Hi,
    Did a search for how to choose / change ALT tags for images but it was from 2012 and obviously for older versions.

How do we find and edit the tag to describe the image more effectively?

Thanks

Were you looking at this in the knowledge base? https://support.3dcart.com/Knowledge...s-to-my-images Not sure what date that was written

Comment

What I had seen was a post on the forums from 2012. The link you have was sent to us this morning after a tech support phone call. It's odd that they say "fortunately" it's automatic when what it actually does is eliminate control over an important factor of SEO. Having the ALT tag the same as the product name has no value, and removes the ability to improve Google image searches (that's straight from a Google video).

I'm still going to be optimistic for the moment that there is a workaround. Having a website without the ability to control factors of SEO is like having a car with no steering wheel.

Comment

HyTech Toobusy Best course of action would be to use an available field in place of alt="name" that is currently used

For example you can use these alternatives to have more control over the product image alt in a category page:

Instead of alt="name" in the category_0.html you can use:

alt="[description]" Uses product Short Description field
        alt="[extra_field_1]" Uses product Extra Field 1
        alt="[extra_field_2]" Uses product Extra Field 2
        alt="[extra_field_3]" Uses product Extra Field 3
        alt="[extra_field_4]" Uses product Extra Field 4
        alt="[extra_field_5]" Uses product Extra Field 5

You would just enter the alt info you want in whatever field you choose in each product. Keep in mind that this is universal in a category or search results page. So you can only use 1 of these fields. But any shown will give you far greater control of your alt info. Hope this helps.

Shaun
        TheCartDesigner.com
        Not 3dcart Owned or Operated
        100% Independent 3dcart Expert

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

Thanks Shaun. I use my extra fields for other things, constants on the products like condition, availability, etc., not sure why I never considered them for alt tags and MUCH easier to do :-)

Comment

Thanks Shaun!
            It appears to be working. I changed it in the listing_0.html page in the hopes that as each product is shown, the associated alt tag for the image will be custom.
            Only hiccup is that what I put in field 5 shows up on the product listing. Any way to have this not show up? The temp. text I used was IMAGE ALT TEST, and as you can see it's visible on the page.
            I tried to link directly to the product page but get the error that it's not a valid URL. So if you click on the main page link, then the "interior" tab, then on the blue Barrier Coat can....you can see where the extra text shows up.
            Last edited by HyTech; 02-24-2017, 03:48 PM.

Comment

HyTech

Find this in your listing_0 I have written each block so you can literally copy and paste whatever option below:

<!--START: extra_field_5-->
              <div class="extra_field">
              <h4>[product_extrafield5]</h4>
              <div class="info">[extra_field_5]</div>
              <div class="clear"></div>
              </div>
              <!--END: extra_field_5-->

you have a couple options:

1: hide with inline css:

<!--START: extra_field_5-->
              <div class="extra_field" style="display:none;">
              </div>
              <!--END: extra_field_5-->

2: use 3dcart blocks to comment out the block as below

<!--START: extra_field_5->
              <div class="extra_field">
              </div>
              <!-END: extra_field_5-->

3: Just remove all together:
              TheCartDesigner.com

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

Option 1 worked perfectly. Thanks!!
                Last edited by HyTech; 02-28-2017, 09:50 AM.

Comment

HyTech No Problem, Glad I could help.
                  TheCartDesigner.com

Follow Us on Twitter

Comment

!!!!!! I am compelled to chime in on this because I so hate to watch people waste time in the interest of SEO.

I must say that I don't believe ALT tags are worth tinkering with and that ALT=name in 3dcart is just fine for nearly all purposes. The purposes, in order from most important to least, would include:

1) A TTS usability aid for the visually impaired.

2) To serve as a type of META data for some other application to scrape; e.g., Google Images (or a TTS reader) scraping ALT text.

3) Search optimization - which would be rare, and questionably useful. For example, say I search for carpeted cat tower and land on a page that is all about the new Honda Civic, and has an image of a Honda Civic with ALT text that reads: "Buy best #1 rated lowist price carpeted cat tower feline house with free ship shipping no coupon easy returns BBB A+ best seller!!1" ...I will never use that search engine again.

Raise your hand if you can recall the last time you landed on a page and thought, "Hell yeah. This ALT text is so awesome. Not only am I going to come back to this website often, but I'm going to tell my friends all about it" ?

Like, never. Right?

Humans (other than those with disabilities) don't use ALT text to develop or access any sense of value or authority when viewing a page. Using conservative figures, we could say that 999 times we don't even notice ALT text, and that on the 1 time out of 1000 that we do, it's entirely irrelevant to our decision making. In act, if ALT text isn't being used in a ALT=Name -like manner, then really it's just another keyword field for people to spam. Google knows this, which is why it's not weighed heavily, if at all.

So, it may be wise to spend your time on another project. Good luck!
                    - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Working...
                    X