Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robots Text Restriction

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Robots Text Restriction

    I have a product that is throwing a "product not found" error. The product exists, has the proper weight, dimensions, etc. It is not hidden, has stock, has no redirects, etc. On the category page it shows up. When clicked it displays the error message.

    After a month of repeatedly trying to find what was causing this, I opened a ticket. All I got out of it was "we could not replicate the error".

    Have you encountered such a problem? If so, how did you resolve it?

  • #2
    Which product is it? Could you paste the link here? Perhaps you specified meta tags that tell search engines not to see it? If you can click and see the product, which is most likely what support did, yet a search engine "cant see it" then most likely its being blocked at robots.txt or, a meta tag that says "don't index", if you put the link to the product here, i can tell you which is the issue

    Comment


    • #3
      Calabaza, third row down, far right. Click on the image.

      The product meta tags are nor mis-formed. There is nothing in the robots text file to block it. I have noticed that the "date available" on the Advanced tab changes at will. I suspect it may have something to do with the copy (listing) function. I have even deleted the product and brought it back. No change.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by celebra1 View Post
        Calabaza, third row down, far right. Click on the image.

        The product meta tags are nor mis-formed. There is nothing in the robots text file to block it. I have noticed that the "date available" on the Advanced tab changes at will. I suspect it may have something to do with the copy (listing) function. I have even deleted the product and brought it back. No change.

        I notice there is a dupe:
        https://www.celebrationsensationswho...=7914&prdasp=1
        https://www.celebrationsensationswho...apkins-L414060

        Change the SKU by number or letter and retest?

        Call 3dc and ask what error 89 is? I had no problem replicating it.

        www.gogglesandglasses.com

        Comment


        • #5
          That usually happens when the product is set to "Hide" in the Options section of the product. It could also have something to do with your inventory control settings. I've always used waiting list, but "Hide Items" is an option and I'm not sure how that works. I don't understand why it would show up in your category pages through.

          Also when I checked your site I got a HTTPS error, your BBB seal is loading HTTP. You need to change that in your footer. Instead of http://seal-upstateny.bbb.org/seals/...-143021917.png make it https://seal-upstateny.bbb.org/seals...-143021917.png

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks lukiegames for the heads up on the BBB. The product is not hidden, not redirected, etc. It is set up like all my other products that do show online. I have repeatedly checked every tab in the listing looking for a clue. I have reviewed all in a spreadsheet looking for differences. I could not figure it out.

            error.asp?error=89&catalogid=7914&prdasp=1 If the URL indicates referencing product number 7914, that product IS hidden. Why it would reference that listing I do not know, but it could have been the listing that was copied, and it would have been updated to not hidden, with inventory assigned and no redirect. The error code is directing to another product.

            If the 89 is referencing a category for the product, it is the wrong category.

            Comment


            • #7
              Maybe you have 2 items with the same custom file name, one is hidden, the other isn't. I can tell you that the item 7914 has custom file name IHR-Cocktail-Napkins-C414060, and that item is hidden. If you happen to have another item, with the same custom file name, this can be an issue. Normally the system doesn't let you specify the same file name, but, perhaps this happened during an operation that the system doesn't check, like during an import, or clone.
              ----------------------------
              Gonzalo Gil
              3dCart Support
              800-828-6650 x111

              Comment


              • #8
                GonzaloGil Fixed! It was the custom URL of the "wrong" product. That is corrected now and the link works. Thanks! It hadn't occurred to me that it was the copied product's URL.

                Comment

                Working...
                X