Quickbooks Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quickbooks Plugin

I'm looking into using the Quickbooks Plugin and had a few questions, if maybe someone can help?

I read in the forums a while back that when importing orders there was an issues importing item that have options. On one of my sites ALL my products have options. Just curious if this was fixed or if there is a work around?

What if when importing it runs across an item that's not in QB. I know it won't import/or create a sales receipt but how do you know if didn't. Is there a message that will say this orderID didn't import etc or do you have to go back through your list and compare what didn't get imported?

How does it handle inventory? Does it remove the items form inventory?

Does it have any issues with posting items the correct accounts? The reason I ask this is because PayPal has a QB import thing and it dumps everything into one place then you have to go back through every single transaction and code it to the right place, which really defeats the purpose. Theirs is an absolute mess!

I've heard good things about 3dcarts version of QB import, and just wanted to find out a few things first.

Thanks for any help!

Shell

Originally posted by shellqc View Post
    I'm looking into using the Quickbooks Plugin and had a few questions, if maybe someone can help?

I read in the forums a while back that when importing orders there was an issues importing item that have options. On one of my sites ALL my products have options. Just curious if this was fixed or if there is a work around?
    A few of my items have product options and I don't have any problems importing the sales report into QB.

What if when importing it runs across an item that's not in QB. I know it won't import/or create a sales receipt but how do you know if didn't. Is there a message that will say this orderID didn't import etc or do you have to go back through your list and compare what didn't get imported?
    Yes, there is a window that will populate information on the orders that were not imported into QB. This will happen if you have added a new product into your 3d store and have not yet updated your QB product list. So it is wise to note to self when products are added to your 3d store that a product download/import will have to be run first before downloading orders. I wouldn't advice to import products everytime you use the QB Plugin since if you have hundreds of items in your store, it could take awhile for the update to finish. BUT if you don't mind doing it, that's okay too. As for comparing what was imported and what not, you just have to eyeball orders that were marked "Item Error". If you see significant amount of orders that are marked like so, you might want to check that all products were indeed imported into your QB Pro.
    How does it handle inventory? Does it remove the items form inventory?

If you have created a product with product options, a sure way to reflect the correct number of inventory when products are sold or returned, is to make sure that when creating your options, you select the product itself from your inventory. As shown in the attached image herein, I used the product already in my inventory. So anytime, a customer orders this item and select the BLUE Skin, it will automatically subtract 1 count from my inventory. This is very helpful in tracking items with multiple colors or sizes.

http://www.pairmyblue.com/images/product_options.jpg

One other thing too you have to make sure, set those products you are just using as product option to "HIDE" thereby you won't see 2 different product listing of the same item.

Does it have any issues with posting items the correct accounts? The reason I ask this is because PayPal has a QB import thing and it dumps everything into one place then you have to go back through every single transaction and code it to the right place, which really defeats the purpose. Theirs is an absolute mess!

I've heard good things about 3dcarts version of QB import, and just wanted to find out a few things first.

Thanks for any help!

Shell
    QB gives you a better list view of your transaction than PayPal download. More detailed, better manipulation and easy to set or revise to reflect correct tax rate or shipping changes. I can go on and more, but I think I took too much time in answering this post .. lol
    Last edited by AyashiMii; 01-30-2009, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Hi, I didn't catch your name. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

I was able to get the plugin a couple of days ago. I have played around with and you're right it is awesome!! I have found no other program with the capabilities it has! I tested every possibility that might have an issue and it handled all of them with ease.

It does everything I asked above however I haven't figured out the options thing yet. I think I do understand what you suggest and will try it. If I run into any issues would you mind terribly if I PM you or keep an eye on this thread and I can post here? Mine is basically like your screen shot with the exception that some have sizes too. I was thinking the same thing though it has to be a coordination of part numbers. At first thought I have over 2000 parts spread over several websites...so it's a mind blower. I will dig and try it, you made things make a little more sense.

I was a little skiddish of the import/export because I didn't want to mess up my QB database. Yikes!

Thanks again for your help!

Michelle

Comment

Hi Michelle,

Glad you found it helpful. If you get confused or scared, don't do anything yet and just ask questions. It gets scary when you are using a software that handles transactions and inventories. Believe me, your fears are normal and you wouldn't want to do the things I did which basically led me to the path where I'm at now. :) Though, that's how we learn stuff.

Yes, I did messed my inventory using QB. How? You see the tab [QuickBooks -> 3dCart Inventory Update] on the Plugin? Well you only use that option if you have updated your QB with correct inventory information. Otherwise, whatever number(s) you have set your QB up with, will overwrite what you have entered in your store. So with my case, being so excited of the possibilities and the "friendliness" of the application, boy was I excited to use the tab. At that time, I didn't know what the "->" means (which is QB export to 3dCart), I ended up with ZERO inventory with all products "SOLD OUT". So don't use that unless you have done your physical inventory and would like to update your merchandise/product count without the hassle of going through each and every item or by any other import. This tab is perfect for instant update. But other than that really, is just read what the function says. Pretty straight forward.

Don't you just love QuickBooks? I started QuickBooks Pro 2008 early last year and just upgraded mine to 2009 Pro, about a week ago. Love the new look of the reconciliation feature from your Bank download against your invoices or other paperwork.

Comment

I think I'm still a little confused. First off I'm looking at the product import/export tab. The options are to import or export all numbers you can't pick an choose??

I have one DB but the parts are spread across multiple sites...meaning each site has it's own set of items sold. One item may not be sold on both sites.

If I click retrieve items from quickbooks then click export all items, where do those items go? Does it create listings or dump them somewhere in the admin where I match them up? I haven't hit any of the buttons yet but it's not clear in the PDF file exactly what the process is. It has a live connection between the DB and the site so I don't want it doing anything automatically...just yet. Is there a step by step somewhere that maybe explains a little more?

Here is what my items look like in QB. These are separate items:

81234 Black
          81234 Brown
          81234 Hunter Green

Here is what it looks like on the website:

Itme ID: 81234

then under options you have colors, then in the next box

black
          brown
          hunter green
          etc etc...

I don't want to import ALL in either direction for fear I may mess up my site with a bunch of nonexistent listings or vice versa, mess up quickbooks with some sort of duplicate item number. Hope all this makes sense.

Can anyone tell me a step by step?

Comment

Originally posted by AyashiMii View Post
            Hi Michelle,

Glad you found it helpful. If you get confused or scared, don't do anything yet and just ask questions. It gets scary when you are using a software that handles transactions and inventories. Believe me, your fears are normal and you wouldn't want to do the things I did which basically led me to the path where I'm at now. :) Though, that's how we learn stuff.

Yes, I did messed my inventory using QB. How? You see the tab [QuickBooks -> 3dCart Inventory Update] on the Plugin? Well you only use that option if you have updated your QB with correct inventory information. Otherwise, whatever number(s) you have set your QB up with, will overwrite what you have entered in your store. So with my case, being so excited of the possibilities and the "friendliness" of the application, boy was I excited to use the tab. At that time, I didn't know what the "->" means (which is QB export to 3dCart), I ended up with ZERO inventory with all products "SOLD OUT". So don't use that unless you have done your physical inventory and would like to update your merchandise/product count without the hassle of going through each and every item or by any other import. This tab is perfect for instant update. But other than that really, is just read what the function says. Pretty straight forward.

Don't you just love QuickBooks? I started QuickBooks Pro 2008 early last year and just upgraded mine to 2009 Pro, about a week ago. Love the new look of the reconciliation feature from your Bank download against your invoices or other paperwork.
            Whoops I didn't have my subscription set on instant notification so I didn't notice your response. Yes scared to death can you tell?? haha

See most recent freak out post from me. :D

Ok I can already see this is going to be a manual process for me. I'm going to have to verify manually that everything matches on all sites and QB as far as item numbers go. The inventory thing I can't use because it's spread everywhere as stated before.

Just for giggles (using a Dummy file) I decided to do the 3dcart product imp/exp, I chose retrieve products from 3dcart. Then clicked import all items for the one's with options it basically ignored the 200 Black and created just 200 instead. But imports ALL....too bad there's not an option to pick and choose. Still thinking about how to do this ha ha. Oh yes it does mess up the inventory numbers doing it that way too.

I'm on QB 06 still....think that may be the issue? Maybe I'm not setting the options up right.

Comment

I think I'm still a little confused. First off I'm looking at the product import/export tab. The options are to import or export all numbers you can't pick an choose??

I have one DB but the parts are spread across multiple sites...meaning each site has it's own set of items sold. One item may not be sold on both sites.

If I click retrieve items from quickbooks then click export all items, where do those items go? Does it create listings or dump them somewhere in the admin where I match them up? I haven't hit any of the buttons yet but it's not clear in the PDF file exactly what the process is. It has a live connection between the DB and the site so I don't want it doing anything automatically...just yet. Is there a step by step somewhere that maybe explains a little more?

Here is what my items look like in QB. These are separate items:

81234 Black
              81234 Brown
              81234 Hunter Green

Here is what it looks like on the website:

Itme ID: 81234

then under options you have colors, then in the next box

black
              brown
              hunter green
              etc etc...

I don't want to import ALL in either direction for fear I may mess up my site with a bunch of nonexistent listings or vice versa, mess up quickbooks with some sort of duplicate item number. Hope all this makes sense.

Can anyone tell me a step by step?

Okay. My approach if I am the one managing your store, if you have multiple stores running at the same time and tracking each of them separately, I would have to create different accounts on QB. This well help you track each transactions made per store without doing it manually. I'd go crazy if I am doing it manually! :D So once you have that set up and you want to consolidate the whole sales data on all your stores, you can do so by exporting your sales (on each store) using the Sales Report feature on QB and saving it as *.csv files. Make sure that when you download your sales report from QB, the fields that are being listed are the same on all your other store download. Otherwise, that will not do you any good. When I talk about fields, I'm talking about "headers" such as Item #, Product Description and so on. If you are familiar with Excel and good at it, you can literally generate and consolidate all store sales data in a few seconds just by doing Pivot Tables. If not, that's another Excel tip I need to show you... hahaha.

Sorry, if I am making you more confused and lost. Hope I am not or else I'll shut up haha. I'm an Analyst by profession and analyze Regional, Strategic, Small Business Sales everyday. So pardon me if I am sounding crazy.

Comment

Oh my gosh! I was about to running around in circles waving my arms and screaming....I couldn't image doing two QB files. My accountant would kill me and I believe at the end of the year I'd kill myself haha. Way too many orders to scatter around.

OK guess what!? I finally figured it out!! While I was creating a new item with options I noticed that part number column beside options, so I hovered over the little green "I" at the top...it says it appends to the Item ID so I thought hmmm I wonder..... So I added the individual color (Black) and size (XL) in the part # field...created a few orders and wala! I noticed anything you put there it appends to the item ID just like it says and it works.

They could have just said add your options to the part # field and they probably did somewhere, but I just couldn't see the trees for the forest! I know it talks about the red or blue sweater in other areas...but maybe if there was some sort of explanation or pics in the QB plugin documentation that would helped me and future users.

I also noticed something else, in QB my parts have a space between the number and color (200 Pink or 200XL Pink). It doesn't put the space in so it still doesn't find the part. To remedy that I went back to the Item ID and put a space behind 200 and it inserts the space...downloads the order and creates the receipt with no problems.

Whew! That was tough, but now I totally get it. Either way I have some part numbers to update, a LOT of parts!

Thank you so much for your help in all this!!

Shell

Comment

Working...
                X