BuySafe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BuySafe

I recently got an email about BuySafe. I don't really understand what this is? Is this like scan alert? Does anyone use it? Is it worth it? What are you feelings towards it?

I guess I need to do more research on this bc I don't really understand this. The customer pays to be bonded?!

We used it for about a year. Not sure if it increased conversions, or not? Anyhow - two options both aimed at creating trust and comfort for your customers:

1) Offer increased buyer protection in the form of a customer purchased bond.

2) Offer increased buyer protection in the form of a seller purchased bond.

We elected for option #2. We purchased (at our expense) a surety bond for every customer that completed a sale at our site. This seemed the only way that made sense for us.

Maybe it's just me, but if someone has a site and then offers me the option to purchase a "buyer protection" bond prior to completing the transaction - i sorta wonder "why?" "Do I need additional buyer protection?" "Why would I need this?" "Hmmm... maybe I'd better rethink this!"

On the other hand, if a seller says to me "Hey, we're so confident that we do what we say we'll do that we're willing to, at our expense, offer you protection well above and beyond what your credit card issuing bank offers" I have to say WOW! These are some pretty awesome Frik-n-Fraks! ;)

I dunno... our issue came with the fact that the company (BuySafe) was not real receptive to several requests of ours. Also, when we pulled our business while they "looked into the possibility of accommodating our request" (this after the fourth request over a year's time for the same, very minor verbiage tweaking of a landing page) they didn't seem to care. The company seems more focused on development and support of their eBay clientele vs. their independent ecommerce site clientele. I could be WAY off base on this but, it's the way I perceive it. If you're "looking into" my request for over a year, I gotta sorta figure that you're blowing me off.

I think it's important (and I'm talking to myself here, too) to know that anytime a customer feels as though their business is not appreciated, they are likely to become a "former customer" in short order. This is what happened with us at BuySafe. I have never received a call from them inquiring what happened? etc. So...

There's a couple cents for ya!

~fr_k

Comment

I am kind of thinking too that by making a customer pay for extra protection, they may think they aren't getting any if they don't purchase it.

Comment

Very timely as I have been hounded by them to signup for their service. They were actually WAY too pushy, and promised things like $5000 a month in extra conversions just for having their logo. But I agree, I think it is weird to offer a bond on your website to protect customers. Just like I think it is wrong to offer insurance when you pay to have an item shipped from a company. Screw that, I just paid you $x for shipping, that means I am getting my product, not that if it gets lost I am hosed. Anyway I digress. I posted around to see if anybody used them and could verify their claims of increased conversions and nobody could. THese are becoming increasingly commonplace with Verisign, Hacksafe, etc. Pretty soon 3/4 of your webpage will be filled with trust logos.

Comment

Buysafe

I think the whole thing with buysafe is they are GURANTEEING that if a seller doesnt live up to what he she said you would get buysafe and liberty mutual will fix it and make it right

Personally I cant see anyone being so skimpy and tight that if a 50 dollar item is shipped they wouldnt pay extra dollar whatever it is now days to insure it against Damage, Theft, whatever

I never realized the economy was so poor that people threw a fit about chump change for insurance

Comment

Why would the buyer have to worry about damage, theft, etc? They are purchasing the item with a credit card or paypal, both of which offer buyer protection. If anything, I think it makes the merchant look irresponsible and perhaps untrustworthy.

Comment

Originally posted by CheapHumidors View Post
              Why would the buyer have to worry about damage, theft, etc? They are purchasing the item with a credit card or paypal, both of which offer buyer protection. If anything, I think it makes the merchant look irresponsible and perhaps untrustworthy.
              lol wow why would I ever buy insurance for my home I mean I have the govt to rescue me right? Katrina anyone

I refuse to buy auto insurance because well Nothing bad will ever happen

Seriously friends

I sold a family heirloom on ebay for 285 bucks buyer was to chinsy to spend the money for insurance I went ahead and insured it anyways out of pocket it was a cookie jar there was bubble wrap 4 inches thick around it then layered with styrofaom peanuts yup arrived broken who knows maybe buyer had remorse and deliberately broke it *shrugs* she emailed I filed a claim she got her money back pain in the butt ? you bet
              worth it? of course

but I guess its to some people.....

Comment

Insurance for a car and a home are not even in the same realm as sending a package to a customer. For a car, you can easily kill or injur somebody or damage property. Somebody has to pay for that. For a house, you probably don't own it, the bank does, and they want to be sure if something happens they get paid.

The person who bought your family heirloom shouldn't even have to make a decision to purchase insurance or not. You, as the seller, have to make sure the package gets to them safely. That is not your option, but your JOB and responsibility! So the person did not pay $2 for insurance, that makes them chinsy? No, it makes them a realist. You sold them an item and charged for delivery. Your job isn't complete until it is there safe and sound. By your logic we would need to buy insurance for pizza delivery. No major online reatiler charges for insurance, that should tell you something. ANd when you send something UPS or Fedex you are automatically covered for the first $100for free. Things arriving broken is the cost of doing business. My suggestion, if you have to pay for insurance, either eat it, or wrap it into the price of the item, but never make the customer choose, thats just bad business.

Regardless this has gotten off topic. My point was, has anybody used BuySafe and if so have they seen a higher conversion rate.

Comment

I tend to agree that it's MY responsibility to safely deliver products to my customers. For those items needing insurance (high end Japanese puzzle boxes, etc.) we include insurance at no additional cost. Well... I mean -- our customer does not have to opt for the insurance.

Anyhow, our thinking needed to change when, many years ago, we shifted from mainly marketing on eBay to mainly marketing through our own website. Much of what we were led to believe was the best or "right" way to do business needed to undergo some rethinking. Gone was the short term concerns of receiving bad feedback for a transaction - replaced with the long term concerns of over-all good business reputation. We had to notch it up a bit from a customer service standpoint. ...again, this was the case in our experience. Your actual mileage may differ.

Back to BuySafe - the strong arm closing that they now employ (along with McAfee / HackerSafe / Scan Alert / etc.) is telling. I question the effectiveness of these "trust seals."

~fr*k

Comment

WOW
                    Thanks for the frank (frak) response!
                    anything "ebay" is "ixnay" as far as our business model is concerned. :D

Comment

We just started using BuySafe a month or so ago and have seen no noticeable improvement in conversions. Personally, I'm in agreement with those who have said it's a negative, if anything, but the boss is convinced that more security options always yield returns, so we've been trying it out.

I also agree that the frequency of large retailer who offer such insurance (none, that I can see) is quite telling. Some things that smaller businesses do in addition to the big guys can be innovative and fresh, but offering several dollars worth of "extra" insurance just doesn't seem like one of them.

I may be able to agree that purchasing the insurance yourself would be fine, but I have to question that too. Customers automatically EXPECT their order will arrive on time in working condition, they don't CARE how it gets there, just that it does.

When I see the "optional insurance" thing, I assume I'm not GETTING any insurance if I don't buy it... and I'd think that'd be detrimental far more often than helpful

Comment

we just made our own trust logos. :cool:

Comment

Working...
                        X