Facebook without Requiring Personal Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facebook without Requiring Personal Page

Big news - I read on another forum that Facebook is now allowing Businesses to create facebook pages WITHOUT requiring a personal page.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4920274_crea...-facebook.html

http://www.facebook.com/help/?page=721

So, here's my question: Will the 3D app for Facebook work without the personal page setup? I'll ask Tech Support too.

Maybe most of you have already set up your FB page under personal profile. Anyone out there who has not set up the FB page yet?
    kem
    AddressNumbers.com
    Address Plaques, Memorials, Home & Garden Decor, Gifts and more.

Hi there Kem.

The Facebook set up referenced in your post has actually been around for some time. It's called a "business account" and it's basically a no-frills type of account that Facebook offers. It's basically a way to allow people to have a page, without being a normal Facebook user. I use the term "no-frills" because business accounts are literally just a login to Facebook that you can use for the business/fan page. Being as they're a simple Facebook login, these business accounts don't allow the addition of apps.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid our app won't work without a personal profile account. The 3dcart Online Store app requires special API permissions that it takes from your personal profile and uses them for your Facebook page, (as long as the profile is listed as an "admin" for the page). So basically it needs to be applied to your personal profile first, and then added to the page your personal profile administers.

Comment

Hi. Thanks for your response. I can't see any advantage to setting up a Business account instead of a personal account - unless it hides the personal information such as your personal name. On March 24, 2011 Facebook announced a "broad rollout" regarding new features. It appears that Facebook is now offering
      1. Conversion to Facebook business from Personal account. Why would we want to do that?
      2. Creation of business account. (Cannot have a personal account.) Why would we want to have a business account instead of a personal account?

I don't get it - why is Facebook pushing business pages? Are our personal account names viewable on the personal pages? I guess I better re-read 3DCart's documentation on apps.

Here's an answer to someone else on a facebook forum, although 3D Cart can address it better:

"Having a personal account is probably better than the business account as long as you have admin rights, which it sounds like you do. If you don’t want to actively manage the personal account you can go into your privacy settings and set that profile so that it is not searchable and that only “Friends” can request you send you messages, etc – so if you don’t have any friends no one can find you." - Well, I hope that my customers can find me :)

My apologies for a long post.
      Last edited by kem; 04-04-2011, 03:24 PM.
      kem
      AddressNumbers.com
      Address Plaques, Memorials, Home & Garden Decor, Gifts and more.

Comment

Originally posted by 3dCartHenry View Post
        Hi there Kem.

The Facebook set up referenced in your post has actually been around for some time. It's called a "business account" and it's basically a no-frills type of account that Facebook offers. It's basically a way to allow people to have a page, without being a normal Facebook user. I use the term "no-frills" because business accounts are literally just a login to Facebook that you can use for the business/fan page. Being as they're a simple Facebook login, these business accounts don't allow the addition of apps.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid our app won't work without a personal profile account. The 3dcart Online Store app requires special API permissions that it takes from your personal profile and uses them for your Facebook page, (as long as the profile is listed as an "admin" for the page). So basically it needs to be applied to your personal profile first, and then added to the page your personal profile administers.
        Thank you for this post and reply I had the same question and was pulling my hair out trying to setup this.
        Jimmy

Comment

Working...
        X