Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering using Bongo for Intl Orders... opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering using Bongo for Intl Orders... opinions?

We ship internationally every day. Typically we'll have between 3 and 10 international orders a day. We currently use USPS 1st Class Mail, Priority Mail, and Express Mail International. This seems to go pretty well. Less than 1% never see their package arrive at all. Now an then a package will take 3 or 4 weeks to arrive. Other than that they take 1-2 weeks and it seems to go pretty smoothly. My biggest complaint would be shipping costs. We have many potential customers who simply can't justify buying from us because of the shipping costs.

So what about Bongo? Anyone using them? Either through their Extend service or Bongo Checkout? The biggest draw for me would be reduced shipping costs (which they claim) and also faster delivery times (also which they claim.)

I would LOVE to hear from some of you that are using these services. Thanks in advance!

Mike
    www.KarensCookies.net
    Cookie Decorating Simplified

We use Bongo for some of our products, especially large orders for out side of USA or Canada.

Yes shipping time is 2-3 business days most any country they deliver to. Shipping costs are much less than regular courier services.

You can calculate shipping and transit time right on their website if you would like to get a rough idea to compare your current situation to potentially using Bongo.
    Elegant Weddings +
    www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
    www.elegantweddingsplus.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElegantWeddings View Post
      We use Bongo for some of our products, especially large orders for out side of USA or Canada.

Yes shipping time is 2-3 business days most any country they deliver to. Shipping costs are much less than regular courier services.
      2-3 days... that is really amazing. My customers would love that. So do you use Bongo Checkout? or do you just have your customers sign up for the individual accounts? Would you say you're very happy with it? Any drawbacks?

Thanks,

Mike
      www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

We use our own Bongo Account if the customer doesn't create an account with them. The Bongo Checkout is not ready for us yet, as it takes 3+ weeks to setup between Bongo and 3DCart.

So far we are happy with the service, the packages are always delivered with care using traceable methods. Re-packaging service does reduce a lot of costs if you send none-fragile items. Their in-house handling time is mostly next business day. Don't forget to factor in the cost and transit time from your place to the Bongo warehouse.
        Elegant Weddings +

Comment

Originally posted by maksum View Post
          My biggest complaint would be shipping costs. We have many potential customers who simply can't justify buying from us because of the shipping costs.
          Using Bongo will add to the shipping cost to your customer so in your case stay away.
          We use Bongo for those in high need of our products and to keep our shipping expense down.
          Clayton
          Go Live Industries

Comment

Originally posted by Go Live View Post
            Using Bongo will add to the shipping cost to your customer so in your case stay away.
            Certainly! if the items are small and can be shipped with First Class mail, you will not get a better deal by adding a 4th party to it. As it will cost you just the same or more to send the items to Bongo warehouse first as to shipping to your customer directly. If you are shipping larger and heavier quantities then Bongo is the answer.
            Elegant Weddings +

Comment

Hmmm, yeah, definitely the majority of our international orders qualify for First Class International. They typically weigh less than 2 pounds. Looking through my log my last few shipments are:

Priority International to Spain - 5lb - $39.76
              First Class International to Brazil - 1lb 8oz - $14.39
              First Class International to Australia - 8oz - $7.81
              First Class International to Spain - 1lb 4oz - $13.18
              First Class International to Spain - 1lb 4oz - $13.18
              Priority International to Spain - 6lb - $42.75
              First Class International to Spain - 1lb 8oz - $14.97
              First Class International to Australia - 1lb 12oz - $16.76
              First Class International to Australia - 1lb - $11.39
              First Class International to Spain - 1lb - $11.39
              First Class International to Spain - 2lb 8oz - $22.13

I don't know... would Bongo be saving me too much on shipments like these? Perhaps the best solution would be to point my customers to Bongo's (and perhaps some other similar services') individual account option, and let them just order with a local address if they wish.

Thanks for your feedback... keep it coming if you have any other thoughts.

Mike
              www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

Maybe my reply was not clear.

You stated that the shipping cost is almost to much for your customers to justify the order.

My reply was if that be your concern then stay away from bongo as that will add at least $5.00 to the total sale if not more.
                Last edited by Go Live; 11-06-2011, 08:11 PM.
                Clayton
                Go Live Industries

Comment

Originally posted by Go Live View Post
                  Maybe my reply was not clear.

You stated that the shipping cost is almost to much for your customers to justify the order.

My reply was if that be your concern then stay away from bongo as that will add at least $5.00 to the total sale if not more.
                  Ok, maybe I'm not clear on what bongo will do for me then. They claim to save people up to 65% on what they currently pay on shipping. So you're saying I will not actually save any money on shipping by using bongo?

Sorry if I'm not understanding clearly. I listened to their webinar thing and I might not be clear on exactly what bongo checkout will give me.

Mike
                  www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

Judging by your log, you are better off using First Class.
                    Taking your Span 2.5lb as example, Bongo charges : $54.72 where it only cost you $22.13

As mentioned before, only larger and/or heavier items will be saving more with Bongo.
                    Elegant Weddings +

Comment

Ok... very good to know. Thanks so much. I think I will simply refer my customers to the individual accounts that they can use if they wish. Sounds like they only advantage in my case would be the faster shipping times.

Thanks again for your input.

Mike
                      www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

There are no faster shipping times.
                        The service is not cheaper.

Bongo is in business for Bongo and would love for you to offer free shipping to them so they can get the order.

The 65% savings is for the unlikelihood of your customer ordering from say ten merchants and having Bongo ship it together to the customer. That is where the savings mite come into play.

In your case you should continue to ship as you do or loss many could be international sales.
                        Clayton
                        Go Live Industries

Comment

Don't get me wrong as we use Bongo ourself.

Seems you have:
                          • 3 and 10 international orders a day
                          • Less than 1% failure rate
                          • You are concerned that even higher shipping cost will lose sales

We use Bongo
                          • we are not concerned about the international sale
                          • Use this service for the die hards in need that pester us to no end
                          • Don't want the risk of Global Priority fees on nondeliverable or refused

So yes we have had much bad luck on high dollar sales. You say that for you "seems to go pretty well". I would stick to it or risk going without international sales.

Just wanted to be clear that I am not against Bongo at all. There is a time and place for all. Seems that you are doing well. I always say "go with what you know works"
                          Clayton
                          Go Live Industries

Comment

Hello.
                            We have been with bongo for about a year and a half.
                            We have not had one customer use their service.

I can not speak to how this would benefit anyone or may hurt anyone.
                            I am only speaking of our experience.

All it has done is confuse the heck out of customers.
                            International customers email asking how much the shipping will be...
                            We then tell them that they must sign up for bongo and then pay our shipping rate in addition to bongo shipping.

At this point, customers are turned off by the duplicate shipping charges and the sign-up process.

We will leave it up as an option, but it seems like a waste of time and bandwidth for us, due to all the clicking and emailing customers are going through.

We currently have over 20,000 items listed on our site.
                            5,000 of those items are watches. Watch collectors from all over the world email us, but they are unwilling the forego the added hassle.

Our opinion....

Best regards,
                            papa

Comment

This has been a most useful discussion. Thanks again to those who have contributed.

Sounds like my plan then will be to stay the course... perhaps create a page where people can go learn more about bongo and other such services, so if they ask I can point them there. Otherwise we'll stick with what we have.

Thank you again.

Mike
                              www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

Working...
                              X