To all who have BBB on their site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To all who have BBB on their site

This is for the people/companies who use or have the BBB logo on their site. Do you see a real value for having them on your site? Do you really see increased conversions? Do you feel that it's worth the investment?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth the investment. My application is on the way to the BBB but no money has changed hands yet. Here in western NC, it's a $100 initial fee of $100. Then there's a $175 per year membership fee and a $100 seal fee. Almost $400 the 1st year, and then it's $275 every year after.

Give me your opinion if you use the BBB.

Dave

I think it lends credibility to a company (and by extension, the web site).

Clicking on the link takes you to a Reliability report that shows detailed information about the company. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but if memory serves the last report I received showed over 200 clicks on the logo last year.

It is expensive, but IMO well worth it.
    Chris
    TC Life Safety
    TC Wireless

Comment

It depends on your business. I wish BBB would integrate their trust link with the BBB stuff. Anyone can get a BBB logo. I view the info. I get on sites such as Yelp as more reliable (and yes, I do know the tricks some business do).

Comment

Originally posted by tclifesafety View Post
        I think it lends credibility to a company (and by extension, the web site).

Clicking on the link takes you to a Reliability report that shows detailed information about the company. I don't have the numbers in front of me, but if memory serves the last report I received showed over 200 clicks on the logo last year.

It is expensive, but IMO well worth it.
        I agree! I've had more than a few customers comment on it, especially since it does link to a legitimate report.

Comment

BBB Accredidation

It pays for itself quickly.

You got a LOW price quoted! Your region determines your price. I have clients that pay $575 EACH year for theirs. In my region it's $400/yr with no break on renewals.

Comment

I know it was low, it was based on number of employees. Here at my little place, it's just Me, Myself and I, all rolled into one.

Comment

We were thinking about doing that when we went live but the BBB got busted by some of the major network news channels for a "pay for an A". If i remember correctly they were able to scam BBB by paying more to get an A for completely illegitimate businesses.

Comment

"We were thinking about doing that when we went live but the BBB got busted by some of the major network news channels for a "pay for an A". If i remember correctly they were able to scam BBB by paying more to get an A for completely illegitimate businesses."

The old impression many of us over 20 years old have about BBB has long changed with all the scam news reports like that mentioned above.

Comment

BBB Reputation

Better Business Bureau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you read the linked article you'll see that isolated BBB offices have developed a bad reputation due to bad business practices. These are exceptions to the rule. I have found BBB, once installed on my site, paid for itself in under 3 months. I have had positive experiences also by accessing their help in resolving issues, which they do for free.

Regardless, an online business needs some sort of reputation recognition displayed on their site. It can be argued that reviews by customers are being recognized as "reputation". Yet those can be misleading and not all customers agree to participate. I believe that Google still uses reputation badges, like BBB, to assess a site, as do most SEO analysis companies. If you don't use BBB, you do need some sort of TRUST recognition. Make sure you choose one that customers recognize.

Comment

For establishing trust, BBB is great for most customers. For store owners who may be a bit more cynical, we are probably not our target customer - I have gotten hit up with enough sales pitches to buy stuff for our site that promised the sky, and delivers a lot less in reality

Comment

Originally posted by ritchey View Post
                      For establishing trust, BBB is great for most customers. For store owners who may be a bit more cynical, we are probably not our target customer - I have gotten hit up with enough sales pitches to buy stuff for our site that promised the sky, and delivers a lot less in reality
                      Not quite sure I understand the comment ... could be old age sinking in ... but, isn't that what the BBB seal provides "For establishing trust, BBB is great for most customers".

It provides trust to the people who might consider buying on-line. The customer. I do get the part about getting sales calls saying " we can do this, we can promise that" and I say no thanks! But the BBB has been around for many years. I still think it has a solid reputation. Correct me if i'm wrong. This is just my opinion. YMMV!

Comment

ABC News

Better Business Bureau: The Best Ratings Money Can Buy - ABC News

I have zero affiliation with any rating companies but I believe your reputation is made with your customers, advertising, word of mouth, customer service, etc.

Comment

Outdated Link Info

The link posted by doberer is outdated - from 2010. Since then the BBB executive director was replaced and the few BBB offices using unethical practices have been brought up to BBB national standards. The BBB is recognized by the majority of shoppers. An affiliation with them helps build TRUST and it provides an "authority" link. I look for it when shopping on sites. I also click on it since there are a number of businesses with the image, but the image is not linked.

Yes, you can get sales without the BBB. My sales more than doubled in 2 months after I joined BBB a few years back. It sure beats waiting for referrals/recommendations, etc. No one will know about your customer service and great products if you can't get them (customer prospects) in the door first. Seeing the seal opens that door. It shows customers you have pledged to uphold high standards.

Comment

BBB Scam

Hello all.
                            In our humble opinion...
                            The BBB is a sham.
                            The BBB is legal extortion at it's best.
                            They have willingly or not, misled the public into thinking they are some kind of government entity. They are not. The BBB franchises are privately owned, choose to be treated as a “Non Profit Organization” in order to cultivate and strengthen the wrong myth that they are “government” or a charity organization.

If you are not a "member" they will bad mouth your business and give your business a low / bad rating.
                            Once you become a "member" your rating will almost instantly go to "A".

We have had run-ins with the BBB.
                            We had 3 unfounded complaints on BBB all of which were settled.
                            We have been selling online since 1999 and were awarded an F.
                            There is no way 3 complaints, founded or not merit an F rating.

A week after we settled the last "complaint", our rating went from the before mentioned F to B+.
                            All it took was a week's worth of letters / emails and calls pointing out that our service did not merit an F.

Our calls were met with an offer for membership.
                            Yes, we could have bought an A rating but we do not negotiate with terr***ts.
                            We were told that we had a B+ due to lack of information about our company.
                            We could update their file by conveniently providing more info about our company along with our membership fee.

Again, in our humble opinion...
                            If you want one more place for your customers to complain about you
                            AND
                            you don't mind paying for a good rating,
                            Please join the BBB

Keep in mind that if a customer really had a legitimate complaint, all they have to do is call their credit card company. Credit card companies love filing chargebacks.

Get this, instead of calling you for a Return Authorization, customers are very likely going to call the BBB. You just earned yourself another complaint. That's what our customers did and we aren't even members.

Imagine if I walked into your store and told you that I would give you a low rating unless you paid my "membership fee".

Check out this video from ABC News-
                            Business Owners Ripped Off by Better Business Bureau - YouTube

and

Myths and Truth | The Truth About The BBB

That was our opinion, use your discretion.

Best of luck and happy selling

Best regards,
                            papa
                            Last edited by papa; 05-25-2012, 05:06 AM.

Comment

BBB traffic

We pay $575/yr (Chicago) we follow the stats and get close to 300 visitors a year coming from our BBB page - pricey for a click but if they've clicked on the BBB then your site they're well into the sales cycle so the lead has value

Comment

Working...
                              X