StoneEdge what do users have to say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StoneEdge what do users have to say?

I am considering switching from Ordoro to StoneEdge and was hoping to hear feedback from any current users. The initial price tag does not scare me but the way their support is structured does. From most of the feedback I have found online typical implementation is about 2 months and there is no way the 6 hours they include will cover that period. I've noticed many of you end up posting here on the forums to avoid having to dish out money in SEOM support(which again is a concern for me).

Aside from that I wonder if any of you have had any glaring issues, things that I should consider before making a final decision? When they do updates have you had any problems with 3dCart(since SEOM isn't integrated using the API)?

I think the software is very impressive overall. It can do a LOT and is very flexible. I have not had any issues about the integration between SEOM and 3DCart, only some issues understanding some SE concepts and little idiosyncracies. The biggest issue I think is the steep learning curve and teaching the software to employees in your organization.

During the implementation period I was afraid of blowing through my support time so I hoarded it and depending on the forums, the documentation, and just messing around with it. I ended up only using 15 minutes of support time, which was waived because I was brand new.

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
      I think the software is very impressive overall. It can do a LOT and is very flexible. I have not had any issues about the integration between SEOM and 3DCart, only some issues understanding some SE concepts and little idiosyncracies. The biggest issue I think is the steep learning curve and teaching the software to employees in your organization.

During the implementation period I was afraid of blowing through my support time so I hoarded it and depending on the forums, the documentation, and just messing around with it. I ended up only using 15 minutes of support time, which was waived because I was brand new.
      Have you had any serious issues? Have you experienced any difference in service since the company was sold? Do you use their scanner capability? Any suggestions on something I should do with it(a must have) if I decide to go with it?

Comment

I havent had a need to contact support since the company was sold, although there is some chatter in the SE forums about response time being slower. My site is still in limited beta testing mode and I haven't switched my main site to 3DCart yet, so I am still using SE only in small amounts. But it has impressed me in its flexibility to accomodate many different workflows. I bought a barcode scanner last week and am still playing with that aspect of it but it seems like a no-brainer for a high volume place.

Comment

We have been using SE for about six years. It is a very powerful piece of software. I cannot imagine handling back orders, purchase orders and inventory control without it. Integration with 3dcart has been very smooth, and the price is extremely reasonable.
          Doing manual (phone) orders is a breeze.
          The learning curve is steep. We started on a beta, and tried to set everything up immediately. That made for a lot of challenges. Start slow, and add features slowly.

If you use the POS, it is very subpar. We used it for three years, and it was a challenge. Usable, but needs a lot of babysitting.

Sending e-mails to customers is a great feature in the software. We have templates with tags for specifics for every imaginable scenario, and we just shoot them whenever we need to.
          Once you start using SE, basically you will handle everything there.

You can not push new items up to 3dcart. We do two imports, one into SE and one into 3dcart. Basically we use an Excel template and we modify it slightly for each. You can just add the items to 3dcart, and when an order comes down with one of these items it will populate in SE, however with minimal info. Name and price only.

As with any software, there are many areas where the software might be lacking a bit. If there are things you cannot live without, verify that SE can do them.

Software development at SE is very buggy. We always stay a few releases behind to avoid problems. Now they are on 5.932, and we are happy with 5.920. Version 6 was released and pulled back because of too many bugs.

Support is definitely slower, but I got a response within two days.

Also, if you get SE, you will also need to buy Communique Altaireon's Home Page . The reporting in SE leaves a lot to be desired, and communique fills a big gap.

Comment

SE Support seems to be improving. They just moved. Monsoon that bought them seems to be a good fit. The next major release should take care of a lot of issues on the learning curve. You can buy the scanner a bit cheaper off Amazon. We are doing a little bit by little bit implementation and SE has been working with us as we figure out the SE way. As long as its a quick call and your in the implementation stage, they don't seem to count it on your support time (their answer on this was a bit vague).

The scanner can follow later. You don't need to do a big bang implementation. We are entering the bar codes on all our products :-) But we are starting to use other features.

Comment

My opinion mirrors the others expressed here.

Stone Edge is very powerful, but can be complex to set up. I have hoarded support time as well to only use 15 minutes at the end of the year.

I haven't dealt much with support since the takeover. The times I have, it has been fine.

The user interface needs updating, so V6 will be a breath of fresh air. There are a LOT of places where you have to click something 4 times when one would do, especially in packing and POS.

We could not stay in business without SE.

DaveW

Comment

The software is very powerful, and useful for this type of business. We have used the software for about 7 years for our business.

The UI is pretty bad, and, as was previously mentioned, it takes a lot of time to train your workforce to use it.

I hate their support, I will do anything I can not to call them. It takes days for them to get back, and if you miss their phone call you are SOL.

I will not be renewing my support contract until they become PCI compliant. I renewed my support contract in Feb. 2011 because they told me they would be PCI compliant within the month... then it was next month... and next month, and so on..... So we bought the contract and never used it, because I don't like pulling my hair out trying to get support.

I really hope they can become PCI compliant ASAP, and can improve their support system.... those are the two major shortcomings (besides UI).

If they become PCI compliant I will immediately renew my support contract.

Comment

Remember, you can only lapse your support contract for one year. After that no renewals. You'd have to buy the software again.

Comment

I also can't imagine life without StoneEdge - my biggest frustration is the inability to track inventory at multiple warehouses, as I keep inventory at several locations. I have actually flirted with Ordoro a bit to get this feature, but always come back to the decision that I still have better capabilities with StoneEdge, with that one glaring exception. Might be a non-issue for you!

Comment

I have had to use SE support quite a bit in the last 6 months. We keep having an issue with database table corruption. This issue has never been resolved and they aren't sure what is causing it. Over the past few months time to get help has increased quite a bit. I waited an entire week for a call back from support in April. I have resorted to learning to fix some things myself and hiring an outside consultant to help me with other things. Since they have moved to the new offices I'm hoping they are expanding their tech support staff so that things will improve. I do love the capability of the software and haven't found anything else to replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                        Remember, you can only lapse your support contract for one year. After that no renewals. You'd have to buy the software again.
                        I know.... I have until Jan or Feb of next year.... if they don't have PCI compliance by then.... then I think we will all be looking for a replacement.... lol

I really do think the software is GREAT! (except for the parts the suck), and I hope that the Monsoon thing turns out well so that I can buy many more support contracts, and other add-ons in the future.

Comment

Thank you for all the feedback, I really do appreciate it.

Since my last post I spoke to OrderMotion but their prices are ridiculous! 10,000.00 implementation fee and around 2,000.00 a month!

Anyway I do have some follow up questions for some of you:

1. Do any of you utilize the 3dcart Auto-Ship feature? If so do you run into any problems with that feature in SE? OrderMotion kept bringing that up and saying that we would have a problem with it(but never explained why). He also pointed to the PCI compliance affecting Auto-Ship orders but I don't understand why.

2. What is the big deal with the PCI compliance if 3dcart is handling the charging along with Authorize.net(in my case)?

3. When you guys call support why does it take "days" to hear back from someone? Don't they have support technicians available that answer the phone?

4. If you have a database corruption issue they don't get you fixed up? That seems like a major issue to have, in particular if you can't ship out because of it. This scares me, I don't want to get left out to hang and need to find a coder to help me.

*For the poster flirting with the idea of going to Ordoro for locations I would recommend trying their trial and make sure it's what you want. I've personally hit some limitations with the way it works.

Comment

1. do not use Auto Ship. I would however it is too expensive.
                            2. A big feature of SE is phone orders. If you do not take phone orders on SE, then I guess that might mitigate it. It would depend on your processor if they will accept that.
                            3. Someone usually answers and assigns you a ticket, or you have to leave a message. It used to be that you can speak to someone right away, but not any more. Nothing like 3dcart.
                            4. We never had Database issues, and from looking at the SE forum it is not a common issue.
                            You do have to click a link on a regular basis to compact the database, takes a few minutes and keeps the datafile running smooth. Every once in a while, you have to press another button to re-compile the program itself. Very straight forward, but annoying that we have to do that.
                            The program back end and all the tables are accessible and you can add your own queries and modifications. It is one of the strong features of the program for people who know what they are doing. If you don't, then don't mess with the back end, as this can mess with things up causing huge problems.
                            StoneEdge is not Quickbooks, where the program is sealed and runs the same for everyone. SE has tons of selectable parameters that affect the way the program runs and as I mentioned you can also add customizations to the back end.

Don't let this scare you, it is more good than bad

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                              1. do not use Auto Ship. I would however it is too expensive.
                              2. A big feature of SE is phone orders. If you do not take phone orders on SE, then I guess that might mitigate it. It would depend on your processor if they will accept that.
                              3. Someone usually answers and assigns you a ticket, or you have to leave a message. It used to be that you can speak to someone right away, but not any more. Nothing like 3dcart.
                              4. We never had Database issues, and from looking at the SE forum it is not a common issue.
                              You do have to click a link on a regular basis to compact the database, takes a few minutes and keeps the datafile running smooth. Every once in a while, you have to press another button to re-compile the program itself. Very straight forward, but annoying that we have to do that.
                              The program back end and all the tables are accessible and you can add your own queries and modifications. It is one of the strong features of the program for people who know what they are doing. If you don't, then don't mess with the back end, as this can mess with things up causing huge problems.
                              StoneEdge is not Quickbooks, where the program is sealed and runs the same for everyone. SE has tons of selectable parameters that affect the way the program runs and as I mentioned you can also add customizations to the back end.

Don't let this scare you, it is more good than bad
                              2. 3dcart has phone orders as well, is there any problem going that route until they do get PCI Compliant?

3. If you're paying for support you should be able to speak to someone every time. This actually surprises me.

4. How often do you have to "archive the database"? I'm currently looking at the standard version and then upgrade to enterprise once I get to that level. Will I have a problem because of this?

Comment

Working...
                              X