No announcement yet.

StoneEdge what do users have to say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. I would not know about compliance. So far we are not compliant and my processor just charges me $25 a quarter for non-compliance. I thought of trying to be but what If I am turned down. So I am just letting it be until SE is.
    Yes you can take the manual orders on 3dcart, but I think as long as that capability is on SE, it raises issues.
    2. I think we archived once many years ago. I currently have 60K orders in the system and things are going smooth.
    3. As far as support, you are preaching to the converted. However it is what it is. Now I have been waiting for two days for a response on an issue.
    Luckily SE has an active forum that is very helpful, and many on here also use SE and are willing to help.
    One annoying thing with SE support, because the program is so customizable, usually they have to hop on your computer to diagnose. This is time consuming, takes support time, and paralyzes the system. So I avoid support except by e-mail whenever I can.
    Now that we are all set up, we have not needed support in years, except for the occasional question or small issue. I get support every other year, but I do not really use it.

Comment

As to the database corruption issue - We do run compact & repair, but that is apparently causing part of the problem. The problem could be due to the combination of Windows 7 and our specific computer configuration. We are on the standard version which is MSAccess database. There are others who have a similar issue, but it is not widespread as far as I know. Ours is in the purchase order history table. It has never caused a problem processing orders.
      There is no tech that answers the phone at SE, just someone who takes your information or you have to leave a message with your information.

As to the PCI compliance-
      SE will download full credit card information from 3dcart if you have it setup that way, so PCI compliance would be necessary since you would have card data stored in SE. If you are charging the card at the point the transaction is done in 3dcart then I would think you could set it up to consider all orders paid in full and not download card data. This would require you processing any returns in 3dcart instead of SE. If you want to authorize the charge in 3dcart and then collect later, say at time of shipping, you would probably set it up to download card data to SE so you could collect at the time of shipping.

I too am hopeful that Monsoon will improve the tech support issue and make the application more user friendly.

Comment

I'll go ahead and throw my 2 cents in -

Been using StoneEdge for 4 years. It has it's flaws but I haven't found anything else that is even close to it for the price.

It is completely open so you or anyone you hire can customize it any way you want. This is where it really shines - out of the box it is good but with a few tweaks you can get huge gains in productivity and efficiency. It is just simple Access and SQL so if you aren't a technical person there are a million people out there that can customize it for you.

As an example we've got it so that all our packers have to do is place the packing slip under their barcode scanner and it automatically selects the correct shipping method, applies all the information needed, and spits out the label. Even with international shipments. The system handles everything. Our packers only need to know how to pack a box and stick a label on.

The other big things for us are that all the data is yours, once you buy it the software is yours forever (although support and upgrades require service contracts of course), and for us at least support has always been responsive.

Everything I just said comes with one big "but" however - I wouldn't even think about buying the Standard edition. It is far too slow and unstable (it uses an Access backend). The Enterprise edition is SQL based, very fast, and rock solid. We couldn't get acceptable performance from the Standard version with 3 users. Now we have many times as many users and it runs smooth as silk.

Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by lukiegames View Post
          I'll go ahead and throw my 2 cents in -

Been using StoneEdge for 4 years. It has it's flaws but I haven't found anything else that is even close to it for the price.

It is completely open so you or anyone you hire can customize it any way you want. This is where it really shines - out of the box it is good but with a few tweaks you can get huge gains in productivity and efficiency. It is just simple Access and SQL so if you aren't a technical person there are a million people out there that can customize it for you.

As an example we've got it so that all our packers have to do is place the packing slip under their barcode scanner and it automatically selects the correct shipping method, applies all the information needed, and spits out the label. Even with international shipments. The system handles everything. Our packers only need to know how to pack a box and stick a label on.

The other big things for us are that all the data is yours, once you buy it the software is yours forever (although support and upgrades require service contracts of course), and for us at least support has always been responsive.

Everything I just said comes with one big "but" however - I wouldn't even think about buying the Standard edition. It is far too slow and unstable (it uses an Access backend). The Enterprise edition is SQL based, very fast, and rock solid. We couldn't get acceptable performance from the Standard version with 3 users. Now we have many times as many users and it runs smooth as silk.

Jesse
          Well my plan was to start with the Standard Version and next year we would upgrade to the Enterprise. Currently we would only have two users and it won't be until the end of the year before we begin to hit numbers where we would need more. Do you think we'd have problems given what our usage would be?

I'm very interested in the shipping method automation that you've had programmed into the software. Can you give some details on how it's making that determination? Does it automatically know what is the most affordable method or did you do that work ahead of time and just program it in?

Comment

Originally posted by shopgirltx View Post
            As to the database corruption issue - We do run compact & repair, but that is apparently causing part of the problem. The problem could be due to the combination of Windows 7 and our specific computer configuration. We are on the standard version which is MSAccess database. There are others who have a similar issue, but it is not widespread as far as I know. Ours is in the purchase order history table. It has never caused a problem processing orders.
            There is no tech that answers the phone at SE, just someone who takes your information or you have to leave a message with your information.

As to the PCI compliance-
            SE will download full credit card information from 3dcart if you have it setup that way, so PCI compliance would be necessary since you would have card data stored in SE. If you are charging the card at the point the transaction is done in 3dcart then I would think you could set it up to consider all orders paid in full and not download card data. This would require you processing any returns in 3dcart instead of SE. If you want to authorize the charge in 3dcart and then collect later, say at time of shipping, you would probably set it up to download card data to SE so you could collect at the time of shipping.

I too am hopeful that Monsoon will improve the tech support issue and make the application more user friendly.
            Other than this DB corruption problem have you had any other issues linked to being on the standard version? Should I be concerned that we're just not ready to make the move to the Enterprise yet?

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
              1. I would not know about compliance. So far we are not compliant and my processor just charges me $25 a quarter for non-compliance. I thought of trying to be but what If I am turned down. So I am just letting it be until SE is.
              Yes you can take the manual orders on 3dcart, but I think as long as that capability is on SE, it raises issues.
              2. I think we archived once many years ago. I currently have 60K orders in the system and things are going smooth.
              3. As far as support, you are preaching to the converted. However it is what it is. Now I have been waiting for two days for a response on an issue.
              Luckily SE has an active forum that is very helpful, and many on here also use SE and are willing to help.
              One annoying thing with SE support, because the program is so customizable, usually they have to hop on your computer to diagnose. This is time consuming, takes support time, and paralyzes the system. So I avoid support except by e-mail whenever I can.
              Now that we are all set up, we have not needed support in years, except for the occasional question or small issue. I get support every other year, but I do not really use it.
              Are you on the standard or enterprise edition?

Comment

Standard 5.920

Comment

You won't have a problem with the Standard Edition. We have 5 users, and ship 30-100 orders per day, and it has been fine for the last 7 years.

Comment

Standard 5.93
                    3 users

a little slowness sometimes, but I think it is our network

Comment

I have 2 local users and 2 remote users logging in thru remote desktop on 5.928. Local 1GB network, remote users coming in on a business class cable line, and speed is not an issue. I run the magic function (CTRL+SHIFT+F) once a week on each machine and they don't get bogged down.

From the SEOM kb: "Magic function does this: Compacts your Data File, unregisters and re-registers all DLL's and ActiveX controls, delete's bad references, rebuilds all indexes, deletes the INI file, recompiles the program and closes the Order Manager to be restarted."
                      Chris
                      TC Life Safety
                      TC Wireless

Comment

tclifesafety
                        Thank for reminding me of this function. I have been doing the compacting manually. I will do it this way from now on.
                        However, you should always backup your data file before compacting it. I have heard of instances where the compacting actually corrupted the file. It never happened to us, but why take a chance.

Comment

Someone had mentioned that function to me since our auto numbering in the po history table gets messed up when we compact and we start having duplicate numbers. Do you know if this function renumbers the auto number column?

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, we went ahead and signed up last Friday. Needless to say I spent the entire weekend getting everything situated. I have two issues so far but I filed tickets(hopefully it doesn't take a week to hear back). I'm going to make posts about them here as well to see if any of you experienced SE users have any advice.

In the meantime do you all have any suggestions as far as setting up the network? I was going to attempt to do it via Wifi but I honestly don't know much about how to do any of this.

Comment

Don't do SEOM wi-fi. Wire each computer into your router or a switch.

Comment

Originally posted by shopgirltx View Post
                                Don't do SEOM wi-fi. Wire each computer into your router or a switch.
                                Alright will do.

I tried to get it setup today but when I went to open the store file it said: "No SystemParameterBackend" I filed a ticket hopefully they get back to me soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X