Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wcsjohn
    replied
    Support has been hit and miss lately, but if you talk to Kim directly, you get a fast response.

I like the change to unlimited support. We were already paying plenty with the old system, so it's nice not having to worry about limiting the minutes anymore.

Sure, it's not perfect, but it's better than anything else out there under $60k. They raised their prices. OK. I always thought it was underpriced.

Leave a comment:

• elightbox
    replied
    Yes support was changed to unlimited, for double the price. However, good luck getting timely support. Some tickets take weeks for a response. Unacceptable for paid support, or any support for that matter.
    I hear they are working on new systems to improve response time.

Leave a comment:

• ritchey
    replied
    I thought SE was changing to an unlimited support model? I noticed SE took down the prices from their site.

And other changes:
    Newsmakers - Monsoon Commerce gets $8 million in capital and a new CEO - Internet Retailer

Leave a comment:

• ITEC
    replied
    Originally posted by shopgirltx View Post
    As to the database corruption issue - We do run compact & repair, but that is apparently causing part of the problem. The problem could be due to the combination of Windows 7 and our specific computer configuration. We are on the standard version which is MSAccess database. There are others who have a similar issue, but it is not widespread as far as I know. Ours is in the purchase order history table. It has never caused a problem processing orders.
    There is no tech that answers the phone at SE, just someone who takes your information or you have to leave a message with your information.
    It is actually an auto number duplication problem in the tables that is caused by the 2010 version of Access when compacted and repaired and the autonumber is a table key. They have known this since 2011 but did not tell the SE users until June 2012. When they did tell us it was in the forum in the form of a new thread by support. I asked why they did not send out an email alert about data base corruption which wrecked our PO system and I was told that they didn't think users wanted to be bothered by SE emails. WTF? Most business owners do not have time to geek over forums until after a problem presents itself and customer support has not replied for a week.

They are a cash hungry company now (Monsoon), they have doubled the price of SE standard and the support. So no admission of critical errors to keep the coming in.

Their process is charge $1K a year for 3 hours of support and bug fixes (aka software updates). They burn up customer support from hundreds of customers (make money) on known bugs until they put out a new release. Keeps a captive audience.

When you have more money and less time don't use Stone Edge.

I have used 3D for 4 years with zero problems. I wish they would make a locally run back end to interface with their cart. If you look at the features of 3D now it would not take much more.

Leave a comment:

• lukiegames
    replied
    idealstores, sorry for the delay. I don't check this forum often. The fully automated shipping solution is something we developed. It was not very hard though, I'm ok with Access and SQL but by no means an expert and tweaking StoneEdge to meet our needs was easy. If you don't know anything about it you could still have whatever changes you wanted made cheaply and quickly - there are millions of Access and SQL developers out there. It is laid out well enough that you wouldn't necessarily need someone who knew StoneEdge to handle any customization.

I see you mention having to click print repeatedly in a certain area to get orders going. Not sure what you mean exactly (never seen that system) but we can get an order, have the packing slip printed, pulled/packed and postage printed with exactly 0 clicks :-)

I will agree with the other poster who mentioned to not even try running it over wireless. Don't do it! Our wireless clients run StoneEdge through terminal server, that is the only way they can function without slowing to a crawl.

Most of the problems I've seen mentioned here should only affect the standard edition. We barely ever have a hiccup since we migrated to enterprise. Of course YMMV.

It is completely open. At the end of the day that means you, or someone you hire, can customize/automate anything you want. Excel can link directly into it and you can pull/customize any sales reports, productivity reports, etc. If you need to take it up a notch PowerPivot, Crystal Reports, SSRS, they all don't care that it is "StoneEdge". To them it is just a standard, completely open database. Our CFO/CPA can easily make her own reports examining anything she wants without needing help from IT (aka me).

I won't get into details but do to the nature of our business we get 1000-2000 items in a day, each needs to be processed and added to inventory individually and have an accurate cost assigned to them (we may not really know the cost beforehand). We don't use POs. It took only a few hours to develop a tool that links into StoneEdge and does all this for us automatically. If we had to do it without a customized system we would either need to guesstimate and have bad data or try to figure that info out by hand (impossible). With all the enhancements we've been able to add, a conservative estimate would be that StoneEdge save us around $120k a year in labor. That doesn't count any benefits from StoneEdge itself.

So in summary it's a good system. But whatever you do get a system that anyone can link into and modify. It should be YOUR data, not theirs. Don't get trapped in a closed system.

Leave a comment:

• ritchey
    replied
    E-Mail them your list of questions for the call in advance. Saves time.

Leave a comment:

• idealstores
    replied
    So SE is up 100% and I have my implementation call this week. I've got a list of questions for them but do any of you have any guidance on how I should handle the call since I have everything setup?

Is there anything advanced that I should try to skip to?

Leave a comment:

• idealstores
    replied
    Originally posted by OrdoroTeam View Post
    Since the thread started off comparing Ordoro vs StoneEdge, I think it's legit to share some thoughts here. I promise I won't try to push Ordoro to you guys :)

First of all, thank you to @idealstores. We've spoken on phone before. I know you were finally able to install SEOM after all those attempts and get it up and running. I really thank you for mentioning Ordoro in this post. This entire thread is very useful for us in learning about how Ordoro compares with StoneEdge.

Ordoro is a much younger company than Stone Edge. So I admit we don't have all the bells and whistles features that Stone Edge provides. Our mission is to build great software that solves all these backoffice painpoints, but without all the headache that usually comes with it. We talked to hundreds of ecommerce merchants before we wrote any code at all, and as a result here are the main things we focus on -

1. We offer unlimited phone support at no additional cost. By setting it up that way, we are incentivized to build software that is so easy to setup and use, that our customers won't have to call us in the first place. Charging additional for support hours sets up the wrong incentives for software companies.
    2. No one should have to do stuff like "compacting the database and reindexing tables". You should be focused on your retail operations, not on optimizing your software.
    3. Complicated UIs increase the learning difficulty. And makes the users less efficient. One can still build powerful features without complicating the UI.

We want to stick to those goals. And we are building out our software steadily without falling into "feature bloat" trap and UI complexity trap. One cool thing about being a young software company is that we can keep cranking every day without overhead. And our customers love us for our responsiveness and our awesome support.

Again, I am not trying to push the Ordoro agenda here. But we are constantly seeking customer input and feature ideas. If any of you in this thread have suggestions on how to make Ordoro more attractive to businesses like yours, we are eager to hear your thoughts. Please do call us at 512.271.9453 or email us at [email protected] and help us make Ordoro better!

Regards, Jagath @ordoroteam
    I wouldn't characterize it as "all those tries", StoneEdge is now up and running completely after about 5 days of integration(done completely on my own). That integration includes barcode scanners, all my carts/channels, carriers, etc. My actual SE implementation call will occur this Tuesday & Wednesday where I plan on skipping all the intermediate "stuff" and getting into whatever high technical stuff I may have left out. 5 days of user integration I don't think is too bad considering how robust SE is.

Not to sound too critical but I would estimate that I had to call Ordoro once every day for about 20 days to try and fix one issue or the other. Your staff is very pleasant and I do believe that eventually you will have a complete product in terms of our needs. However, my analysis and subsequent decision was that it was going to be several months(possibly not this year) and at the order volume we have it was going to cost us in excess of 300.00 a month. All things considered we could(and did) buy SE and recover that cost in a few short months.

Specifically where Ordoro fell short was in a streamlined order process, having to click print 3 to 4 times(multiple pages) was really slowing us down. The inability to manage multiple stores was a big factor, we could not have different logos for the different stores and the way inventory is handled was a setback for us as well. Again, I think Ordoro is great for a small website owner that does not have multiple stores with different skus that need to be kept in the inventory separate. For what it's worth the biggest factor for me was the inability to create po's based on what you "need" for current orders and future orders(based on historical volume). Having to do this manually and/or just not having the ability to know what we're short on at a glance meant that at least 60 minutes a day were wasted on this reconciliation.

Leave a comment:

• OrdoroTeam
    replied
    Since the thread started off comparing Ordoro vs StoneEdge, I think it's legit to share some thoughts here. I promise I won't try to push Ordoro to you guys :)

First of all, thank you to @idealstores. We've spoken on phone before. I know you were finally able to install SEOM after all those attempts and get it up and running. I really thank you for mentioning Ordoro in this post. This entire thread is very useful for us in learning about how Ordoro compares with StoneEdge.

Ordoro is a much younger company than Stone Edge. So I admit we don't have all the bells and whistles features that Stone Edge provides. Our mission is to build great software that solves all these backoffice painpoints, but without all the headache that usually comes with it. We talked to hundreds of ecommerce merchants before we wrote any code at all, and as a result here are the main things we focus on -

1. We offer unlimited phone support at no additional cost. By setting it up that way, we are incentivized to build software that is so easy to setup and use, that our customers won't have to call us in the first place. Charging additional for support hours sets up the wrong incentives for software companies.
    2. No one should have to do stuff like "compacting the database and reindexing tables". You should be focused on your retail operations, not on optimizing your software.
    3. Complicated UIs increase the learning difficulty. And makes the users less efficient. One can still build powerful features without complicating the UI.

We want to stick to those goals. And we are building out our software steadily without falling into "feature bloat" trap and UI complexity trap. One cool thing about being a young software company is that we can keep cranking every day without overhead. And our customers love us for our responsiveness and our awesome support.

Again, I am not trying to push the Ordoro agenda here. But we are constantly seeking customer input and feature ideas. If any of you in this thread have suggestions on how to make Ordoro more attractive to businesses like yours, we are eager to hear your thoughts. Please do call us at 512.271.9453 or email us at [email protected] and help us make Ordoro better!

Regards, Jagath @ordoroteam

Leave a comment:

• idealstores
    replied
    Well, it wasn't a network issue...it was the scale & printer usb cables that were not plugged in to their set ports. We noticed that the program kept freezing every time we clicked on the scale(to bring in the weight) or whenever we clicked on "print label(which forces the weight if a scale is connected). At which point we thought to tinker with that setup(referring to the cables). This was after doing multiple installs on other computers & trying to troubleshoot the network.

The program is now working flawlessly and we have the scanners implemented...I love StoneEdge! We're moving at a much faster pace now, we can handle a ton of orders at this rate.

Leave a comment:

• markh76
    replied
    I wanted to use SEOM so bad as it does so much of what we need but unfortunately I could never get it to be stable enough to run for more than a day or two in production.

When we did move it to production for a short time, it went down with a DB error and it took SE over 2 days to get back to us.

It took me about 3 months to implement. I went through the training, had Stone Edge do the install and still it sits idle.

I'm hoping the new release will take care of our issues and we can finally get to use it but until then it's a no go.

Leave a comment:

• tclifesafety
    replied
    Originally posted by idealstores View Post
    Is there a dummies guide available on these tools so I can try and figure out where the leak is? Or does anyone know of someone in Miami that would be able to help me with this?
    This is a good resource for speeding up SEOM: Speeding Up the Order Manager [Legacy KB]

Here's a post specifically dealing with speeding up SEOM on Windows 7:
    It was caused by the Windows 7 ACE driver for MS Access 2007 and 2010 not working well with multi-core CPU's and hanging. It was reported by quite a few people so it is surprising none of your other 2000 customers reported it when moving to Windows 7 and new hardware. Anyway here's some info that may be extremely helpful to others (and avoid the hell I've been through). Without the hotfix it won't be fixed until Office 2010 SP2 which is a long way off:

The hotfix for the performance problem you reported in Microsoft Access 2010 after moving your databases to Microsoft Windows 7 has just been released to the public. You can download the hotfix through a link in the following articles for either Access 2010 or Access 2007:

Description of the Access 2010 hotfix package (Ace-x-none.msp): August 30, 2011

http://support.microsoft..com/kb/2553116

Description of the Office Access 2007 hotfix package (Ace-x-none.msp, Access-x-none.msp): August 30, 2011

http://support.microsoft..com/kb/2553029

Leave a comment:

• idealstores
    replied
    Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
    It sounds like it could easily be a network issue, but that is a bit hard to diagnose remotely. There are tools you can download to test the health of your network. Could also be network settings on one of the remote PCs (like firewall)
    Is there a dummies guide available on these tools so I can try and figure out where the leak is? Or does anyone know of someone in Miami that would be able to help me with this?

Leave a comment:

• cbsteven
    replied
    It sounds like it could easily be a network issue, but that is a bit hard to diagnose remotely. There are tools you can download to test the health of your network. Could also be network settings on one of the remote PCs (like firewall)

Leave a comment:

• idealstores
    replied
    I must say I'm very frustrated at this point, nothing I have done seems to work. A fresh install on the original computer - still hangs on just about every order. A fresh instal on a completely different computer(this one running Windows XP) and it hangs on just about every order.

Could this be a network issue? The program runs fine on the PC where the program is hosted/pc acting as a server. Currently I have a desktop which is hosting the software with an ethernet cord running to a very good linksys router which then has an ethernet cable going out to the workstation in question. The ethernet cables have a stamp which reads CAT 5, should I be using a different kind of cable? What could be my problem?

I thought maybe it was MS access but we just logged out the other computer(desktop hosting the software) from SE to see if the software would run better on the workstation. Unfortunately it did not, it still hangs at least once per order.

*Again I have been in contact with SE and they were not much help.*

Leave a comment:

Working...
X