No announcement yet.

Pingdom bot sucking massive bandwidth?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pingdom bot sucking massive bandwidth?

I was checking my bot stats and saw that Pingdom bot is using up lots of bandwidth. 1,601 MB since the beginning of this month (last month it was over 2K megs). Thats over 50% of all my bot and crawler bandwidth combined. I just paused the service and will cancel if this is what will happen. Anyone else see this sort of thing happening??

Pingdom, will pull the page as often as you have it setup. If the page it is pulling is heavy then the bandwidth will add up.
    You should create an extra-page that is as light as possible for pingdom to pull. You can have this page hidden, and give it a name where a customer will not stumble upon it by chance like pingdom-qrstuv

Comment

Interesting. We had a huge bandwidth draw from ControlScan (pci scanning) on 3/22 for almost 40gb.

Comment

I've also noticed when I have to complete a ControlScan audit (quarterly) my bandwidth goes thru the roof. Part of the price of PCI compliance I guess.
        Chris
        TC Life Safety
        TC Wireless

Comment

Originally posted by tclifesafety View Post
          I've also noticed when I have to complete a ControlScan audit (quarterly) my bandwidth goes thru the roof. Part of the price of PCI compliance I guess.
          40gb worth though? I've been using Controlscan for a year now, and I've never seen anything like this.

Comment

I never knew I had SmarterStats until I complained about the bandwidth usage this month. I'll be checking, but I agree, 40GB seems crazy.
            Chris
            TC Life Safety
            TC Wireless

Comment

Yeah I just discovered I qualified for free SmarterStats too. Wish they would have given me that login info a long time ago. :)
              So any plan that says "Enhanced Statistics" in the details qualifies for it, you'll have to get a login/password from support if you weren't provided it originally.

Comment

elightbox that's a great tip. I'm going to do that now. Thanks!
                Chris
                TC Life Safety
                TC Wireless

Comment

This is likely one of the stupidest questions ever asked...but...how can you tell the file size of a web page?

When I Google it, I get results that recommend checking things like YSlow, but is that the same thing I should be looking at (vs. an actual file size like 550 KB)?

I really like the idea of creating an "ultra light" web page for Pingdom to "ping", but I have no idea how to test 1) how heavy the current page is that it is "pinging", and 2) how to test the new page that I would create to see how "light" it is compared.

Also, any suggestion on creating a very light page? Should I hide header/left column/right column, etc.?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but any help would be greatly appreciated...our bandwidth is being eaten alive!

Thanks!
                  -James

Comment

I simply created a basic HTML page (not using the frame or any other templates), uploaded it to the root of the server and adjusted my Pingdom settings to check on that page. It weighs in under 1k.

Added meta links for nofollow,noindex as well.
                    Chris
                    TC Life Safety
                    TC Wireless

Comment

Thanks Chris! I'll look into that, but I don't know much about FTP so that might take a little bit of research...

On a side note, I have no idea if this would work as well but if it did it would be WAY easier for me, but could I just upload a VERY small picture into a folder (like 2 KB or something) and have Pingdom "ping" the image source?

For example, setting the URL to ping as:

mywebsite(.)com/assets/images/very_tiny_image_file

Or does Pingdom absolutely require it to ping to a web page (and not an image source)? Also, assuming this could work, if a server is down would Pingdom know that from trying to "ping" an image hosted on your website?

Thanks!
                      -James

Comment

Using an image "should" work. Can't hurt to try.

Pingdom will notify you if the site as down as long as you are directly pointing to a resource on your web site. A text file, image, html page...shouldn't matter.
                        Chris
                        TC Life Safety
                        TC Wireless

Comment

Thanks Chris! Hopefully Pingdom would let me know if that doesn't work via some error code or something (and perhaps I'll try a search real quick to see if anyone has ever asked the same thing...or maybe even contact Pingdom directly to see if they would know for sure).

If that's the case, then theoretically I could have them pinging a picture 1KB or less! That would be AWESOME!

I appreciate the advice, and I'll let everyone know if I can find anything out...

Thanks!
                          -James

Comment

Unfortunately, you should probably ping a page with the frame. If one of the scripts on the frame is misbehaving, it could slow down your site to a crawl, but a basic html page with no frame will continue to work just fine.

Comment

Good point.
                              Chris
                              TC Life Safety
                              TC Wireless

Comment

Working...
                              X