Google Base Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Base Updates

How often do you update your feeds to google base? My brother-in-law noticed he got more traffic and sales if he updated it more regularly, even if there were no changes. We seem to get more traffic as well. Do others see this effect?

I usually update once a month, but need to update much more frequently as I notice when it's time to update again with a slight drop-off in sales.

Comment

Every two weeks seem to work for us.
      I too noticed a drop off in traffic and sales if I skip an update.
      One time I let the items expire (30 days) and sales plummetted. I thought it was just mid-summer vacations (and it may very well have been). As soon as I found out, I updated the data file and about two days later sales were back to normal. Not sure if cooincidence or not.
      I don't think Google Base has anything to do with SERPs, but, I know we show up in Google "Shopping" and that's where some customers search. Also, for our keywords, we show up on page one under Google WEB under the "Shopping Results" slot. :)

Comment

Here's a stupid question, what do you mean by "google base"?

Comment

Google Base is a search engine directory for "shopping" where you can upload products to appear in their database. Check here for more info: http://www.google.com/base :)
          1/3 of my traffic and conversions come from there!........

Comment

The nice thing is that it's free! I also believe it's part of the "Shopping results" shown under the Sponsored results listings on Google for certain types of product searches.

Comment

Thanks SO much! I'll have to look into that right away--goodness knows we give Google way too much money as it is! :)

Comment

Link To Site

Hello,

Thank you for the information on Google Base.

One thing that I noticed is that most items link directly to a web site. I set up a product and didn't see how to do that. I was able to make a page that resides on Google with a link to my cart, but I didn't see a way to link to it directly.

What did I miss?

Thanks,
                David

Comment

It's easy to link to the website - it's a field in the feed you supply.

But- how can you get the product's URL? I don't see that in any export fields. If you had this it would be a snap.

Anyone know how to export the products url address?
                  C Ekman
                  Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
                  http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I did read that I needed a feed. I did a little research, but I just don't understand feeds. Can you point me somewhere that would help me understand the topic?

Comment

Look at Google Base - basically you're just creating a simple Excel File and putting in a location (via FTP) that Google can find. If you have the file formatted right then Google Base will read your file (feed) directly into their 'store'
                      C Ekman
                      Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
                      http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

This may be a silly question, but I'm very new to this google base thing. In reading their instructions, it says that an Excel file will not work. However, I know that my Excel files can be saved with both .txt and .xml extensions. Do you use Excel? If so, which extension to you save your file with.

Comment

my "googlebase" or "froogle" file submission is a txt file.
                          I just go to plugins, googlebase./froogle, submit and select download the file. Then in the web browser, I do a save file as, and save as mysite.txt Then just upload to googlebase.
                          Last edited by Mark; 09-26-2008, 08:46 AM.

Comment

That's it? Really? I can't believe there is actually one thing that simple! :)

Comment

yes, it really is that simple. Although, I'd love to see the automatic submission feature work so it would save me a few steps, but that's okay. I'd also like to see my store upgraded to the new version of 3dCart, but we all know where expectations like that will lead us :p

Comment

Working...
                              X