Database SQL or Access?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Database SQL or Access?

I am new to 3dcart and looking forward to benefiting from all the new features in 3.2.
    In researching which plan to select, and I am getting some conflicting information from sales and support about which plans use SQL and which use Access. I am surprised this is not listed upfront with the plan feature and price info.
    Can I please have a definitive answer on this?
    Also, how much performance boost do you get from using SQL if we have about 40K page views per day? With our previous platform, the performance difference was like night and day, hands down SQL was much more responsive and quicker. With Google now using page load speed as a parameter in rankings, this might be an important consideration.
    Thank you.

Our system is designed so that you don't need to worry about the type of database, servers, etc, we manage that for you. If you go with a low plan or a high plan, the speed of the site will be pretty much the same. What makes a difference is how many visitors you have going to the page at the same time.

If you are going to have a large number of visitors, and clearly going to be going over 20-30GB of traffic, then going to the higher plans ensures that you will have a larger more robust database in place.

Do you have any kind of estimates on the # of unique visitors you are expecting to see your site daily?
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

GonzaloGil, thank you for the superfast reply.
      However, that is the same kind of very ambiguious answers I have been getting. It is a fact that SQL is faster and more robust than Access, and please correct me if I am wrong.

Let me put the question more directly. If I want SQL "a more robust database in place" , which is the least expensive plan that offers it? is it the $99, $199, or the more expensive plans?
      Thank you.

Comment

GonzaloGil, thank you for the superfast reply.
        However, that is the same kind of very ambiguious answers I have been getting. It is a fact that SQL is faster and more robust than Access, and please correct me if I am wrong.
        One faster than the other? Well, if you count milliseconds. Sure, if the software was not optimized, and every single page meant dozens of SQL queries being sent to the database, you would see a huge difference between the 2, but, on a typical site, the differences in load times are between one returning the page in 40 ms (milliseconds) and 80 (milliseconds), you might say wow, SQL server is double the speed, and i guess yes, its true, but in the end, the pages load in under a second, 95% of the time that you are waiting for the page is not on the processing side but on the download side, and those will be pretty much equal (downloading .js, .css, JPG images is the same no matter which back end you are using).

Let me put the question more directly. If I want SQL "a more robust database in place" , which is the least expensive plan that offers it? is it the $99, $199, or the more expensive plans?
        The $199 and up plans are setup with a MS SQL database.
        ----------------------------
        Gonzalo Gil
        3dCart Support
        800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Thank you for the clarification and the specific answer. Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X