Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is downtime a problem at 3dcart?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is downtime a problem at 3dcart?

    We signed up with 3d about a month ago to test the cart a little longer than the 2 weeks allowed by the free trial.

    So far, we're impressed by how flexible the templates are. Our concern at this point is the down time both with email and the storefront.

    Email seems to be down regularly - maybe 3 or 4 times a DAY, lasting less than 30 minutes each time.

    Our storefront and admin have been down at least twice in the last month for about 1 hour at a time and we're not logging in every day. It was down this morning.

    We would like to hear from other 3dcart store owners ...
    HOW OFTEN IS YOUR STORE DOWN?
    HOW OFTEN IS YOUR EMAIL DOWN?

  • #2
    Last year, server down time was zero until December, when it was down a few times. We don't use email, instead having our MX records forward to another host, and havne't seen any problems ever.

    Comment


    • #3
      A year and a half here and have literally seen no down time until December either so it's very unusual. It's WAY WAY better than our other platform that seems to have a issue every month and unstable after every upgrade for a days.
      Don't know about E-mail. We have our outlook or Thunderbird pick it up. Have never actually went in it for a year but never had any connection errors show up.

      Comment


      • #4
        gluck,
        Could you email me ([email protected]) ticket #'s for the downtime you experience for email? I am not aware of email issues recently, so I would like to look at your specific account and see what's up.

        (You can private message me as well, just don't post ticket #'s on forums as its not secure)
        ----------------------------
        Gonzalo Gil
        3dCart Support
        800-828-6650 x111

        Comment


        • #5
          I was down for about 30 minutes around xmas but that was all. Must have been traffic overload I am sure. No big deal. And no email issues here either mine goes to my ISP email account not 3rd party like Yahoo as we did have issues with slow emails before we switch from yahoo.
          jeff
          http://www.canadianghosthuntersupplies.ca

          Comment


          • #6
            I've had very minimal downtime and when it has been down, it comes back up quickly. 3Dcart is the most reliable cart I've used over the years. The support has been excellent for any issues I have encountered.

            Steve
            CultTVmanShop.com

            Comment


            • #7
              We've been down several times over the last month. We have received several error messages for various reasons. We submit tickets quite often. Usually the support gets the problem fixed fairly quick, but the same problems keep happening.

              I'd like someone to figure out why we keep having problems and not just put a bandaid fix on it each time.

              So far they have disabled our live chat because they thought that was causing issues. They have disabled our random home specials because they thought that was causing issues. They just told us to resize our 1400+ photos because that is causing problems. They have told us since we have over 200,000 products that may be causing problems, even though we are on an umlimited product account. We also have problems with some of our categories and now they are saying we have too many items in a single category so they want us to break that category apart also.

              When we are not having down time or functionality issues, the cart works great. Unfortunately we've spent a ton of time submitting tickets with no real answers to our prolbems. We have started researching other carts to see what else is available in case we cannot get these issues resolved.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by chrisklemz View Post
                They just told us to resize our 1400+ photos because that is causing problems. They have told us since we have over 200,000 products that may be causing problems, even though we are on an umlimited product account. We also have problems with some of our categories and now they are saying we have too many items in a single category so they want us to break that category apart also.

                When we are not having down time or functionality issues, the cart works great. Unfortunately we've spent a ton of time submitting tickets with no real answers to our prolbems. We have started researching other carts to see what else is available in case we cannot get these issues resolved.
                I am new here and in the process of migrating my store from Miva Merchant after using that cart for 10 years. I am looking to go live sometime in the next 10 days. I do have a lot of experience with testing other carts and I am hoping I made a good choice after doing my research.

                I can tell you that most carts out there start to have issues when product counts get high. Issues are typically related to the amount of traffic generated on a monthly basis, the quality of the host/support staff and host server loads.

                Here, I chose a semi-dedicated plan based on my monthly traffic and visits per month. This will be the first time on a semi-dedicated machine and it is costing me a lot more per month than I was paying deviously. I made the decision to move due to the features, support and speed of the sites that I visited that used 3DCart.

                Can I ask what your traffic volume is on a monthly basis?
                (bandwidth and hits)

                b/r

                Lon

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BrigadeGames View Post
                  I am new here and in the process of migrating my store from Miva Merchant after using that cart for 10 years. I am looking to go live sometime in the next 10 days. I do have a lot of experience with testing other carts and I am hoping I made a good choice after doing my research.

                  I can tell you that most carts out there start to have issues when product counts get high. Issues are typically related to the amount of traffic generated on a monthly basis, the quality of the host/support staff and host server loads.

                  Here, I chose a semi-dedicated plan based on my monthly traffic and visits per month. This will be the first time on a semi-dedicated machine and it is costing me a lot more per month than I was paying deviously. I made the decision to move due to the features, support and speed of the sites that I visited that used 3DCart.

                  Can I ask what your traffic volume is on a monthly basis?
                  (bandwidth and hits)

                  b/r

                  Lon

                  In December we had 12000 hits & used 8200 mb of bandwidth. I have no idea if this is considered high or low ? Your thoughts?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by chrisklemz View Post
                    In December we had 12000 hits & used 8200 mb of bandwidth. I have no idea if this is considered high or low ? Your thoughts?
                    Hmm. That seems very low at least from what I have experienced the last almost 11 years in business. Of course this depends on many factors including what you sell, length of time in business, market, etc . A web site could have very low traffic and cater to a high end clientele and have sales that are astronomical, vice-versa and everything in between. While there is most of the time a correlation to traffic and sales, this would also depend on the quality of the visitors to your site. The wrong words in Google Adwords or Bing or elsewhere can draw the wrong people to your site and really throw off your numbers. Another thing is looking at the conversion rate of visitors to your site.

                    I copied some stats from my current site below on Miva for daily averages and monthly traffic. You can see that the traffic for the months is around 29-33 GB. Of course January is lower as it is only 18 days in.

                    Month Daily Avg
                    Hits Files Pages Visits Sites
                    Jan 2011 41518 36112 515 328 6410
                    Dec 2010 40900 35611 567 350 10009
                    Nov 2010 47822 41214 653 397 10442

                    Month Monthly Totals
                    KBytes Visits Pages Files Hits
                    Jan 2011 17021545 5906 9276 650033 747328
                    Dec 2010 29920735 10856 17604 1103971 1267905
                    Nov 2011 33261523 11932 19591 1236433 1434663


                    HTH,

                    Lon

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Just as another note.

                      I have 5000+ products. I have a photo for almost all of them.

                      However - as I am still setting up my store - I am putting my photos into subfolders by manufacturer just like I did with Miva Merchant.

                      Customers also don't like long page loads. No matter the size of the photos, if you have a lot of them (and obviously each is tied to a product) in a category page then that can cause issues.

                      I am going to make the assumption that you are on one of the plans under semi-dedicated.

                      Is this your first webstore or experience online?

                      Having 200,000 products would probably stress any cart available unless you were paying for a semi or dedicated machine or hosted cart software yourself on your own servers. Even then with that many products you probably would be much better off on a faster dedicated server (faster = higher monthly costs.)

                      Your low bandwidth and visits could be a direct correlation to people not wanting to wait for page loads etc.

                      Part of the "science" of constructing a store is figuring out what works for you. This is trial and error and through customer sales and experiences.

                      When people state - "well a webstore has little overhead" they are totally wrong. Those who do well are those who experiment and constantly tweak things to make the experience better for the customer so they return over and over. That is part of a webstore owners "expense" - time and effort.

                      My suggestion would be to look at your product catalog and figure out a better way to slice and dice your products into categories. Do the same with your photos by splitting them into folders that make them manageable. You can do this as a work in progress - updating the store everyday. Put the revised categories up at the top of your list. Focus on your big sellers first.

                      It may also help to put a note to customers on your front page asking for them to contact you if they experience issues and to describe the problem. Tell them you are working on solving some intermittent issues and they will notice ongoing changes in the store to better improve it.

                      BTW - I work in IT management during the day the last 20 years so I have some decent familiarity with programming and networking. My background is not html and webservers but I am learning fast for job reasons.

                      HTH,

                      Lon

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My store has never been down. My emails have never been down more then 1hr. The only trouble I have had with 3dcart is ftp timeouts on one of our sites.
                        Jimmy

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks everyone for answers on this question. Down time is a super important issue for me and I have found it very hard to find out how much down time a cart has until you actually start using it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            We have run 2 3dcart stores for a couple years now and have had 1 down period for literally 12 minutes. Not too shabby. Wish I could say the same about our internet provider.:rolleyes:

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X