Bandwith and plan options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandwith and plan options

I was looking to switch over another one of my stores, but according to my current cart i use 25,000mb (which I was told is 25kb) a month!

I have 1000 products and average about 3k visitors per month. According to my current BW usage, I wouldnt even qualify for the $99 plan on 3dcart which costs 4 times what I am paying now...

I dont see how the $99 plan is suppose to allow 30k visitors and unlimited products when I am NOWHERE close to that currently.

Am I missing something?

I was looking to switch over another one of my stores, but according to my current cart i use 25,000mb (which I was told is 25kb) a month!

I have 1000 products and average about 3k visitors per month. According to my current BW usage, I wouldnt even qualify for the $99 plan on 3dcart which costs 4 times what I am paying now...

I dont see how the $99 plan is suppose to allow 30k visitors and unlimited products when I am NOWHERE close to that currently.

Am I missing something?
    Hello,
    I presume you are moving from a non-pci compliant solution. For standard hosting, 3DCart is certainly not the cheapest solution, you could host your website with a provider such as Godaddy for just $4-5/mo, but, you would not be getting the software we provide, technical support, etc, in a PCI compliant environment. If you look around at other pci compliant solutions, you'll find that the plans we offer are very competitive.

The actual usage will depend on many variables, such as, how big are your images, any other on site scripts that need to be downloaded, movies, flash, etc. We also compress output, using gzip on the server side, something your current host might not do, and, that alone can get you 50-60% reduction in bandwidth usage.
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Pricing...

OP and Gil,

GoDaddy was one of the carts we pilot tested before coming to 3dcart. While they do have 24/7 support the s/w was pretty weak. And nothing to say that they will stay a cart provider if things don't work out as they may have hoped.

A MAJOR consideration for us is that our vendors stay in business. I don't mind a premium if it means a good vendor is going to stay around and continue to innovate.

Just a thought....

John
      The G1

I know that the signature sez newbie BUT we've been online since 1998. We started with the iCat Mall out of San Francisco. We've been doing this for a while.....
      Last edited by g1gallery; 02-07-2011, 05:49 PM. Reason: Additions

Comment

I have my current store with the same company for over 2 years -- no issues with them going out of biz. I was looking for a cart that was more streamlined on the backend and had a better up time.

My current cart (with its basic features) doesnt offer some of the same features that 3d cart offers, but I have made significant modifications and paid extra for coding to implement these additional features. The cart is also PCI compliant and only costs me $25 per month.

I am willing to pay more for up time and ease of data entry, I am just concerned that after making the switch my costs are going to increase substantially. Compression may help, I just dont understand how there can be such a variance between BW with different carts. :confused:

Comment

Waiting on an answer to this question also.

I am using a great deal of bandwidth a month also. Would love to hear an answer to your last question as to why there is such a discrepancy in pricing from cart to cart....

Comment

I don't understand the bandwidth issue and pricing from 3dcart. I switched from a provider that we have been using for the past 7 years. According to previous provider our website was using ~20 GB per month, however when I switched to 3dcart we had to upgrade it to handle 100 GB (Cloud X2). I still have no clue why 3dcart is saying we are using 5x the amount of bandwidth over our previous eCommerce solution. Lets just say its not because we are getting 5x the visits (our visits and orders are nearly the same).

I do want to clarify, the reason I did switch was because our previous solution was not very user friendly on the backend and allowed for very minimal changes on the front. We also are looking forward to captializing on 3dcarts mobile templates.

Thanks,
            Chad
            bmikarts.com

Comment

I don't understand the bandwidth issue and pricing from 3dcart. I switched from a provider that we have been using for the past 7 years. According to previous provider our website was using ~20 GB per month, however when I switched to 3dcart we had to upgrade it to handle 100 GB (Cloud X2). I still have no clue why 3dcart is saying we are using 5x the amount of bandwidth over our previous eCommerce solution. Lets just say its not because we are getting 5x the visits (our visits and orders are nearly the same).

I do want to clarify, the reason I did switch was because our previous solution was not very user friendly on the backend and allowed for very minimal changes on the front. We also are looking forward to captializing on 3dcarts mobile templates.

Thanks,
              Chad
              bmikarts.com

It would be very hard for anyone to troubleshoot this blindly. What you would need to do if you really wanted to know the difference is to download the logs from your previous provider, and the logs from 3dcart, then investigate, are you getting the same number of users? What's the average bandwidth per user? etc.

A couple of possibilities:
              - You have more visitors now than you had before.
              - New images on your store that are larger than the images you had on your old store, particularly those that are part of the design that are seen on every page.
              - You signed up for new services that constantly hit your store (ie. Security scans, Spiders for shopping feeds, etc.)

There is nothing on 3dcart's side that would make your store consume MORE bandwidth, so the issue must be related to the traffic, or content that has changed.
              ----------------------------
              Gonzalo Gil
              3dCart Support
              800-828-6650 x111

Comment

I just want to say that I've had clients come to 3D Cart from Volusion, where they had less pageviews, less bandwidth, and significantly higher overage fees. You can see the data on that for yourself here:

Bandwidth Evaluation - 3D Cart vs Volusion - DeanP.net

In other words, if you're going over your bandwidth on 3D Cart, the grass may not be greener on the other side. Like Gil said, you should look over your logs and stats, and revisit your robots.txt, and maybe consider upping your plan. You can also offload your product images and static template images to the cloud.
                - Dean P. e-commerce and small business consulting

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
                  It would be very hard for anyone to troubleshoot this blindly. What you would need to do if you really wanted to know the difference is to download the logs from your previous provider, and the logs from 3dcart, then investigate, are you getting the same number of users? What's the average bandwidth per user? etc.

A couple of possibilities:
                  - You have more visitors now than you had before.
                  - New images on your store that are larger than the images you had on your old store, particularly those that are part of the design that are seen on every page.
                  - You signed up for new services that constantly hit your store (ie. Security scans, Spiders for shopping feeds, etc.)

There is nothing on 3dcart's side that would make your store consume MORE bandwidth, so the issue must be related to the traffic, or content that has changed.

I understand and appreciate you can't troubleshoot it blindly. I would love to be able to compare the logs between two sites, but I can not access the web-stats from the previous ecommerce solution after I switched.

I do however still have all my Google Analytic data to compare from.

A quick snapshot of the past six months:

Feb - 2013 (on 3dcart): 51k (visits), 6.7 (pages / visit)
                  Jan - 2013 (on 3dcart): 54k (visits), 6.4 (pages / visit)
                  Dec - 2012 (other cart): 69k (visits), 7.8 (pages / visit)
                  Nov - 2012 (other cart): 63k (visits), 7.6 (pages / visit)
                  Oct - 2012 (other cart): 63k (visits), 7.8 (pages / visit)
                  Sept - 2012 (other cart): 63k (visits), 8 (pages / visit)

As for a image files, 95% of the images for the products are the ones I used on the old site. As for the layout it is constructed from very few images and utilizes mostly css to create the look and feel. I am using more javascript though.

I have not signed up for any extra scans or shopping feeds, so that should not be an issue with store.

I realize this looks like a "knock" on 3dcart, but I as the eCommerce manger I wish I would of been aware of this difference before I made the switch. I wouldn't of had so much to explain to the owner when asked "why has our cost had tripled but our visits and transactions are down"... not and easy position to be in and have a viable answer to.

I truely believe the visits and transaction will go up, but I had to defend my position on why we switched a great deal because I kept having to increase our plan to cover the amount of bandwidth.

A simple explanation of why the difference between the old provider and 3dcart could be the old provider may not of been actually tracking the bandwidth with the same accuracy as 3dcart.

Thanks,
                  Chad
                  bmikarts.com

Comment

Bandwidth

Hi Everyone, We just opened on July 10th for our customers. We started out with the 99.00 plan but our bandwidth disappeared, perhaps due to working on the website etc. So we upgraded to the power plan However we are now blaring yellow and its been one week since we upgraded.

We do not have any scans, the sales/traffic are the same. The only change is the new listings have larger images.

Is anyone using the cloud X1?
                    I see some information regarding cloud flare, would that benefit us in saving bandwidth?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.
                    sovintagepatterns.com

Comment

You need to go through your logs and start weeding out all the foreign robots from spidering your site.

We were self hosted..... no bandwidth concerns or fees obviously.

But when we came here we saw the same as you, huge bandwidth, no change in visitors.

As it turns out, Yandex, Baidu, and other foreign bots were just chewing bandwidth and providing no visitors.

As soon as I blocked them in robots.txt and banned their ips it has come way down. Not great..... but way down from before.

Comment

Re Bandwidth

Thanks Blademan, a little late in Thanking you! We actually have a lot of competitors that use us as a pricing guide, sheesh!
                        We are now on Cloud X1 with still some overage.
                        Thanks for your help :)

Comment

Working...
                        X