Why Version 4, Not 3.X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Version 4, Not 3.X

I am curious on what the major improvements were in Version 4 that made it a bump from 3 to 4, verses just a .1 release to 3.X

Originally posted by ritchey View Post
    I am curious on what the major improvements were in Version 4 that made it a bump from 3 to 4, verses just a .1 release to 3.X

Perhaps the 40+ new features and enhancements?
    I've worked in software development for at least the past decade and we increment the major number (n.xx) when new features are introduced and increased the minor number (n.xx) when enhancements are introduced.
    Elegant Weddings +
    www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
    www.elegantweddingsplus.com

Comment

there are a fair number of changes and it was worthy of a version change IMO.

Although I am curious as to why there have been no releases of DIV templates yet. We're in 2011, i stopped using tables in 1998.

Comment

My feeling is there were some changes under the hood, which was the reason for the major release version. I am curious what they were. BW tracking seems to be one of them for example. The features released were OK and pretty consistent what the other carts are doing for releases. Hopefully the Google Feed Automation will come soon, along with support for the new requirements.

The new features are nice, but I don't remember a lot of them from the Feature Request Forums being implemented:

Feature Request for 3dcart Shopping Cart Software - Feature Requests

Or was version 4 dreamed up before the Feature Request forum was implemented?

Comment

I agree with the previous poster. I was a software database developer for 19 years. When I made releases I only changed the version number if there were significant feature improvements.

Fixes and minor changes were just a .# change.

V4 has some major new features (if you can use them) - I think it was enough to warrant a version number.

I do agree with you that not many of the items requested in the Feature Request thread seemed to be implemented. There are things that many of us have asked for for years.

I may be missing it - but I THINK many of us asked for CAPTCHA on the Contact us page - but I didn't see it there yet. Of all the places to prevent SPAM that was where I wanted it. If this is an option I'm missing - could someone point me to it. There was a HUGE thread on this quite some time ago and I thought for sure this would be in the new release. But I may have missed it somewhere.
          C Ekman
          Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
          http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

Most new features appear to be what other carts have recently put out. That facebook log in though is almost mandatory at this point. I see it everywhere so people will begin to expect it on our sites. Creating an account will become obsolete.

Comment

My guess would be it is a marketing thing - kind of like keeping up with the Jones's.

If other carts roll out a new version, it becomes hard for competing carts not to do the same. Of course they have to back that up with some new features.

I am happy to see that the cart is updated with new features.

I would of course like to see some action on some action on some of the other suggestions I see in the feature request and not have to wait for a minor point revision to see them implemented. Having a closed ecosystem in which developers do not create new modules to add features like with carts such as Miva Merchant require most of us to rely on the 3DCart staff to add these features.

And I am totally sympathetic to issues that occur when rolling out some major changes. Once can never predict every action a user can take that could affect software. Long gone are the days of year long (or more) beta tests of software (anyone but me remember those days?)

Comment

(anyone but me remember those days?)
                Sure do! Been in the software business long enough to remember the dinosaur ages.
                Elegant Weddings +
                www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
                www.elegantweddingsplus.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElegantWeddings View Post
                  Sure do! Been in the software business long enough to remember the dinosaur ages.
                  AHHHH! EW - we've been in so long we remember what it was like a day BEFORE the big bang. Its still fun - and addictive!

John and The Gang
                  At The G1 Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by ritchey View Post
                    I'm just curious on why you don't want to use version 4
                    The release notes looked good http://imagicon.info/cat/5-6/1.gif
                    Last edited by satnavcompany; 10-08-2011, 10:04 PM.

Comment

It was not about not using Version 4, I was curious on the logic by 3dCart and I was hoping they would comment in this thread (I find it disappointing they did not comment in this thread).

Comment

Working...
                      X