Email storage space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email storage space

the email pdf guide states that the allotment for e-mail is 500mb per domain? is that still true. that is an awfully small mail allotment. for a staff of 10 that is 50mb per person. wholly inadequate by today's standards.

I would suggest using a client like outlook or Thunderbird to get your mail for you and your people. I use outlook and it checks/downloads the mail to the computer every 5 minutes and deletes it from the web mail. Thunderbird works well also and others are out there.

Comment

Originally posted by mondo View Post
      I would suggest using a client like outlook or Thunderbird to get your mail for you and your people. I use outlook and it checks/downloads the mail to the computer every 5 minutes and deletes it from the web mail. Thunderbird works well also and others are out there.
      my clients are using multiple devices and computers throughout the day (iPad, iPhone, Android, laptops, desktops). their e-mail needs to be accessible on the server, not tied to one computer.

support says 500mb is it. no option to upgrade. their suggestion was the same as yours which is not workable. from my experience, 3gb should be the minimum included with accounts, otherwise for even a small organization the headroom is hit pretty quickly.

Comment

I don't give that much space to my users and I have over a terabyte of room in my Exchange server. They get 100 mb. 3gb is unrealistic.
        David
        David's Gifts and Things

Wholesale Gifts, Home Decorating, Jewelry and More

Quality, Selection, Value Always

The more you buy the more you save!

Comment

You can set outlook to delete messages from the server after a certain amount of time after being accessed. set this on your main computers, and that will allow you to access them from other devices before they are deleted.
          I have mine set to delete after two weeks.
          The other option is to open a Google business account. It is free for up to ten users with unlimited aliases. There is a discussion on the forum about it, and then you will have unlimited resources.

Comment

thanks for the suggestion, but i'm talking from real world experience.

1. my client has 8-10 employees (depending on the season). telling her that each employee would get 50mb of storage...lame.

2. i've managed 100 sites each with their own e-mail systems. in the past 50-100mb per user may have been barely adequate, but these days clients want to use IMAP, not POP to be able to access and store their mail anywhere for anytime access from any device that they are on at that moment. right now of the clients that i am managing sites for, 90% are using at least 1GB of their 4GB allotment and 75% using over 2GB. the average user doesn't want to have to think about what device their e-mail might be on, or which e-mail they should file on the server, and which they should move to their primary computer.

3. on my non-ecom host, even their lowest price plan ($5.00/mo) comes with 2GB of storage per domain, so no, i don't consider 3gb to be unreasonable. on their pro plans, 4-6gb is the norm. i can understand when storage was relatively expensive, how e-mail allotment may have been a luxury. but recently i've seen 2TB drives getting down to the $100 mark. from an industry standard, if you look at what the storage is at 3dcart vs. other web hosts, 3dcart is way behind the curve.

the future isn't in the cloud, the PRESENT is in the cloud. 3dcart seems to be a forward thinking company that sweats the details in their cart software, but for something as something as basic as e-mail, this seems like a pretty big stumble.

Comment

Sign up for a Google Apps account and then run your domain mail through that. You get IMAP and tons of space and you bypass all the 3dCart email size restrictions.

Comment

Working...
              X